In Perth - 4 weeks in.

MovingtoTasmania

Delighted you have joined us in Perth! I certainly think WA is the best state, and Perth is is the best place in Australia, but this is terribly biased. Warm-ish today at 41C, and while I am at work the family will be enjoying the pool, friends are coming over to jump in the water with the boys. We are SOR, which was a big move for me, as an ex-Floreat boy, but all is good. You seem to be in the posher end of town though, pretty near the "Taj on Swan" monument to decadence, so your experience will be very ... refined. Stay cool, and may your next update report even better things

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted you have joined us in Perth! I certainly think WA is the best state, and Perth is is the best place in Australia, but this is terribly biased. Warm-ish today at 41C, and while I am at work the family will be enjoying the pool, friends are coming over to jump in the water with the boys. We are SOR, which was a big move for me, as an ex-Floreat boy, but all is good. You seem to be in the posher end of town though, pretty near the "Taj on Swan" monument to decadence, so your experience will be very ... refined. Stay cool, and may your next update report even better things

Terribly biased and terribly wrong:wink:

I didn't mention it as when I went to the Chemist for my prescription, they didn't seem to know anything about it! I am going to start using a different Chemist as they don't seem clued up at all there! But you have raised a good point @Ozmaniac so thank you for that x

P.S. I would add though that if like me, the GP gives you a prescription that will last you for about a year and half, then the cost is negligible when you consider that in the UK the prescribing rules sometimes mean that you have to get the px every 28 days and pay for it too, so actually, the meds may well work out to be cheaper here. The GP couldn't believe that my UK GP could only prescribe me 28 days of this medication at once.

The one month rule applies to most prescriptions here too but prescriptions for low cost medication can cover longer periods. I have 5 regular medications - 4 must be filled each month and one only every 3 months. OTOH, I take double the normal dose for one of mine and my GP calls someone (in Canberra I think) and gets authority to prescribe a double dose and I only need to pay a single co-payment each month.

Oh, and when you get a card, for any prescriptions you've had filled before you got it for which you don't have the right sticker, you have every right to take the scrip back to the pharmacy and ask them to reprint it. Sounds like a hassle for a small amount but every little helps to get you to that SN just that much sooner.

I loved Perth when I stayed for 6 weeks as a student. ( 14 yrs ago!) but it was winter so I found the temperature more bearable! I'm not good at intense heat. I think I would find myself staying indoors to keep cool in Perth! Lol! Tassie winters are pretty chilly but more blue sky than we get in grey UK! And their summers are not often over 25 ( when I start to get ratty!!) . Perth is a wonderful city - cant wait to visit again one day with the family.

It was too hot to stay inside today, so I went and sat on the verandah all day. Uncle says that air con is unhealthy so won't put it on (finally got the reason why he won't let me put it on) and I must say I have survived the heat, it hasn't stopped me doing anything. I walked to the shops and back today without any problem and have been taking the girls to the park so I don't feel that it's such a problem for me, but then I love the warmth :smile:

I reckon your uncle is stopping you putting the aircon on 'cos he's a tight old bugger:laugh:. We didn't have aircon for the first 15 years or so we were here and put up with it, so it can be done. We have 2 x reverse cycle units in the living areas now and even though we don't use it that often yesterday was one of the days when it made it comfortable. Went for a swim last night in the local 50m outdoor pool and it was lovely.

Only time I used to feel uncomfortable was when we went to bed and couldn't get cool enough to get to sleep. We don't have aircon in the bedrooms but I find that if I'm cool enough to go to sleep quickly then I sleep just fine. It might feel more uncomfortable today as it's going to be cooler but more humid.

They must love paying $10+ for a beer and not being near any other decent city :wink:

The beer can be a bit expensive in certain places but like Gee13 says there are places where you can get a cheap pint too. A lot of times you are paying for views and/or location. I don't mind sitting in the Breakwater at Hillary's and paying over the top for a couple of pints and enjoy the view and surroundings. Rather than sit in a pub and have four or five cheap pints.

As for Cities I find people can't wait to get out of cities if they're thinking of having a holiday and a good time. Perth, Freo, Joondalup and surrounds has everything I could possibly need.:cool:

The beer can be a bit expensive in certain places but like Gee13 says there are places where you can get a cheap pint too. A lot of times you are paying for views and/or location. I don't mind sitting in the Breakwater at Hillary's and paying over the top for a couple of pints and enjoy the view and surroundings. Rather than sit in a pub and have four or five cheap pints.

As for Cities I find people can't wait to get out of cities if they're thinking of having a holiday and a good time. Perth, Freo, Joondalup and surrounds has everything I could possibly need.:cool:

I was just having some fun. Everybody probably overrates where they live.

Saying that I was in Melbourne this week and it is bloody awesome to spend the day there even though i'd rather live in Brisbane

@Paul1Perth You may be right about Uncle, but I do also think it's helping me acclimatise better to the weather, not having the air con on and even though my new place has air con, I won't use it as I've got a couple of fans instead. I find sitting outside helps me a lot as well as I feel cooler.

@Dom Churchill I will be constantly phoning you for help hon :wink: xx

@Paul1Perth You may be right about Uncle, but I do also think it's helping me acclimatise better to the weather, not having the air con on and even though my new place has air con, I won't use it as I've got a couple of fans instead. I find sitting outside helps me a lot as well as I feel cooler.

@Dom Churchill I will be constantly phoning you for help hon :wink: xx

You did well the day it was 43 degrees. Now we have aircon I've got past the stage of resisting putting it on. I would rather feel comfortable. That's only about the 3rd time we've had it on this summer though and yesterday and today are just fine. Being close to the Ocean helps loads.

You did well the day it was 43 degrees. Now we have aircon I've got past the stage of resisting putting it on. I would rather feel comfortable. That's only about the 3rd time we've had it on this summer though and yesterday and today are just fine. Being close to the Ocean helps loads.

I wasn't uncomfortable and I slept really well so I think that although there were times in the day I felt hot, I didn't feel unbearable and the kids seemed to manage okay too. Perhaps midgets adjust better to the heat lol.

I don't understand that, as the ocean is a shark's natural habitat and therefore surely it's unwarranted to kill them just for doing what comes naturally - swimming. People choose to go in the ocean, what's the shark supposed to do, sprout legs and come on the beach?

You are a lady with the same heart!! I completely agree with you on every level. I dont get it either!! Its their home and their only choice! We have a choice - don't go the the sea, simples!

I am absolutely thrilled for you. Please, please keep us all updated :hug: