Duty free allowance from UK to Australia

millers

Hi All

Were are going to the UK for a holiday in a few months time with Cathay Pacific and was wondering on our return trip we are flying back from Manchester - Brisbane via Hong Kong......what are our allowances( cigarettes, perfume and booze )and is it just better to get it in Hong Kong( cheaper)?????

Thanks peeps

You can buy duty free in the airport on the way out and just pick it up on the way back in. At least you can in Perth so don't see why it should be different in Brissie. I think the allowance is 3 litres of spirits? Wouldn't know what the ciggies or perfume is. I thought the prices were pretty good and wouldn't imagine they would be cheaper in Hong Kong. You don't have to carry them very far either, as long as you remember to pick them up on the way in, easy to forget after a long flight.

2.25 litres each adult for spirits and only 50 cigarettes (I think)! You can check it out on Google, I did last time I flew.... But as other posters have said, make sure you either buy in Brisbane (out or inbound -both actually collected inbound), or in Hong Kong (ie, your last stop before AU customs. Else they will be confiscated (though most airports know not to sell them any sooner if you are travelling to Australia). :)

We have always found the perfume to be expensive in duty free and can often find good deals in city shops, also sometimes we have even found the spirits to be on better specials in the UK supermarkets. However after travelling through several Asian airports we have come to the conclusion that for spirits the hassle of carrying them around and the little difference in prices, and these can be taken up by exchange rates/fees, then we just buy the specials in Brisbane on the way back in, you can get mix and match 3 for $49/$59 etc. Also why do people buy to 200ml bottles to get nearer their full allowance? this small bottle price equates to almost double the full bottle price and takes away the savings one just made on the full bottles!!!

Cigs, we just buy the MIL some of her usual ones and never bother looking at the price but assume they are well cheaper than the normal shops.

As an aside, we were in USA recently and I bought three 750ml bottles of Bacardi in the supermarket, the price worked out about 30% cheaper than the best duty free deal, also means I got my full allowance of 2.25lt and the bottles were plastic so light in the luggage (had to be packed into the checked in hold luggage).