Crime around Perth

Keefo

A few on another forum keep mentioning the crime in and around Perth and saying it's worse than London (I'm not from London). I was wondering what the views were of people on here who live or who have lived within the 2 hour radius of Perth.

Cheers

There are a hell of a lot of British people in Perth.

And probably a lot came from London.

I wonder if London's crime rate is going down while Perth's is increasing.

well the criteria for a visa is to have a criminal record....? Especially if your from the capital of the world

I've been here for 2 years and it's nothing like the crime rate in the UK full stop. I had to laugh the other week as the main headline on the evening news was about someone who'd breached their parole conditions for a minor crime. When would that even make the news in the UK?? My husband (an auzzie) will often comment on how dodgy a particular area is but to be honest, being from Manchester, his idea of a dodgy area would be what I consider a decent one :wink:!

Guest Guest66881

Crime happens in all big cities, no brainer really.

To be honest i never hear of that much going on, local free paper as a crime report from the previous week, and it's usually just a handful of crimes reported in the paper by the police?

Can't speak for Perth but Brisbane feels way safer walking around and if you are in the city centre there appears to be less pond life hanging around than in British cities.

Not to say there aren't rough areas but I never had a reason to go through one here (they tend to be way further out of town)

I've been here for 2 years and it's nothing like the crime rate in the UK full stop. I had to laugh the other week as the main headline on the evening news was about someone who'd breached their parole conditions for a minor crime. When would that even make the news in the UK?? My husband (an auzzie) will often comment on how dodgy a particular area is but to be honest, being from Manchester, his idea of a dodgy area would be what I consider a decent one :wink:!

The difference in the news is your only see the news for your city, in the UK the news is a nationwide programe... If Australia had the same it would be full of crime reports

My perception of Perth was that I did feel somewhat uneasy or unsafe in the city in the evening.

Now this was about 10 years ago and maybe it has changed but coming from Melbourne the city is always full of people and you feel fine walking around at 9pm or 10pm without a worry.

In Perth when I was there it seemed to get very quiet in the city quite early from 6 pm or so as presumably people went home from work.

And being quiet and just a few people around I felt it a bit threatening to be walking in the city alone.

Unless the people of Perth are particularly criminal minded (never been there so can't say!), it can't be the same/worse as London, statistically. There are over x4 more people living in London, many more if you include the metropolitan area.

I was watching a documentary about the "Yaba" drug in Thailand last night, and my OH seems to think it's causing problems in Perth now. He reads the Australian news more than I do, but I still think it's unlikely.

Unless the people of Perth are particularly criminal minded (never been there so can't say!), it can't be the same/worse as London, statistically. There are over x4 more people living in London, many more if you include the metropolitan area.

I was watching a documentary about the "Yaba" drug in Thailand last night, and my OH seems to think it's causing problems in Perth now. He reads the Australian news more than I do, but I still think it's unlikely.

You have to look at it per 1000 person . London has 11 million perth 1.5

Tbh London can't be as bad as people say - I walked around with a brand new iPhone in my hand most of the time and my purse was in my pocket and quite obvious to see. If anybody was asking to get mugged then it was probably me!

I'll report on how I feel in perth when I get there :)

Tbh London can't be as bad as people say - I walked around with a brand new iPhone in my hand most of the time and my purse was in my pocket and quite obvious to see. If anybody was asking to get mugged then it was probably me!

I'll report on how I feel in perth when I get there :)

like most cities, it depends where you are. if you visited outside of central London, there are areas where you would definitely not be waving your phone around, or at least I'd hope not ;) Pays to be careful regardless of location, is my personal belief.

Yeah to be fair I did stay in Central London most of the time but I kept reading signs in the tubes about pick pockets etc. I didn't go out at night either so maybe I would have felt differently then. On my first day there when I was coming back from the Tower of London i got a bit lost and it was starting to get dark so that was the only time I was starting to get worried but I still never got mugged lol success! :laugh:

Yeah to be fair I did stay in Central London most of the time but I kept reading signs in the tubes about pick pockets etc. I didn't go out at night either so maybe I would have felt differently then. On my first day there when I was coming back from the Tower of London i got a bit lost and it was starting to get dark so that was the only time I was starting to get worried but I still never got mugged lol success! :laugh:

Them posters make me laugh...you watch people as they read them, then straight away they go and feel where their wallet is. Anybody wanting to pickpocket could just stand and take note:wacko:

Them posters make me laugh...you watch people as they read them, then straight away they go and feel where their wallet is. Anybody wanting to pickpocket could just stand and take note:wacko:

That's what I was probably like lol I had a big purse and it was really clear in my pocket. I think the only danger I was in was being battered by a Londoner for walking too slow and getting in their way :eek: :laugh:

I think feeling safe has a lot to do with living in a place a long time. If you've grown up in a neighbourhood, you understand it, you know most people. Back in the UK, I knew my neighbourhood, I wouldn't think anything of taking the dogs out at midnight and walking round to tesco cos I needed milk/bread for the morning.

Now I know Perth better, def some places I wouldn't head to at night but just last weekend after a night out in the city I caught a train home at about 2.30am, I was on my own at the underground, but never once felt uneasy, transport police about and they ride the train, I Didnt see one stupidly drunk person on board, mostly single people like me that had been out and making their way home. A very nice atmosphere

Archived