Help! What Visa do I need for my UK born baby to enter Australia?

starlight

Hi everyone, I really hope you can point me in the right direction. I've been researching all day and my head is starting to hurt due to all the visa options.

My husband, me and our three kids are all PR. We are currently in the UK for a year or so, and our fourth baby will be born here in the UK. We are likely to return to Australia next year.

How do we go about 'adding' our fourth child to our PR visa? Is that even possible? I did see a 1022 Change of circumstances form?

Or, do we need to apply for the child visa (101) to allow our unborn child to also be PR like us?

Is there any ways around this - like taking baby to Australia under a temporary visa of some kind and applying once in Australia?

We obviously can't do anything until the baby is born and we have a UK passport issued, birth cert for the baby, but I am trying to plan ahead before baby arrives.:laugh:

If you have any advice, please do share your wisdom. Thank you!:wacko:

You can't add your baby to your visa, so you need to apply for a child visa. It's possible you can get a tourist visa and then apply for a child visa in Australia, but you of course run the risk that this is refused. Or you can apply from the UK, and then get a tourist visa. Let the CO know your travel plans so you can take the baby offshore (have a short holiday in NZ or Bali) when they are ready to grant the visa.

You can't add your baby to your visa, so you need to apply for a child visa. It's possible you can get a tourist visa and then apply for a child visa in Australia, but you of course run the risk that this is refused. Or you can apply from the UK, and then get a tourist visa. Let the CO know your travel plans so you can take the baby offshore (have a short holiday in NZ or Bali) when they are ready to grant the visa.

Hi MaggieMay24,

Thank you so much for your help. Do you know if anyone has ever done this - applied for a tourist visa for the baby and then once in Oz applied for the child visa? Is that legal? We are all PR, apart from baby. :(

Are you also suggesting another option is to apply for the child visa from the UK, and get a tourist visa to gain entry for baby? I thought if you applied from the UK you had to remain in the UK until it was granted? Also, I read if you apply in Oz, you have to remain in Oz?

Why would we need to take a short holiday when they are ready to grant the visa? Please can you let me know a little more. Thank you! :wink:

There are 2 types of child visas offshore child visa 101 and onshore child visa 802.

if you apply offshore this visa can only be granted offshore and apply onshore can only be granted onshore.

So if you apply for the child 101 and while the visa is processing travel to Australia, you need to go offshore for the visa to be granted. Current offshore processing times are 8-12 months.

If you travel on visitors visa without applying for child 101, you can apply for the onshore child visa 802 and must be onshore for it to be granted. Applying onshore once the visitors visa expires the baby will go on bridging visa A until decision is made on child 802. Processing 12 months +.

but if travel after child 101 has been applied for and not granted, you will need to make sure the visitors visa will cover the duration of processing time as no bridging visa possible for visas applied for offshore.

Edited by lebourvellec

http://ptlabs.com.au/visas/faq.php#pcm005

What is my newborn baby's Australian immigration status?

On the assumption that you applied for your PR visa before your baby was born, it depends on your circumstances, but generally:

[*=left]If your baby is born in Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian permanent visa holder or Australian citizen, your baby is an Australian citizen by birth. No Australian visa is required for this baby.
    [*=left]If your baby is born in Australia, and neither parent is an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, your baby will generally automatically acquire the visa of either parent, whichever visa is more "beneficial".
    [*=left]If your baby is born outside Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian citizen otherwise than by descent, your baby is eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.
    [*=left]If your baby is born outside Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian citizen by descent and that parent was present in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before your baby's citizenship registration, your baby is eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.
    [*=left]If your baby is born outside Australia, and neither parent is an Australian citizen, your baby has no immigration status in Australia and will need a visa to enter Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the same position. We went to oz a year ago to activate our visa and spent 9 months there. We returned to the UK when I was 30 weeks pregnant, however we would like to get the baby a visa as we may go back at some point in the future. We still have 3 years left on our visa. Both parents English. So based in this feed I take it we would need to apply for a baby/child visa from the UK? We have a birth certificate but it sounds like we may need to get a passport too? And from this I take it processing time will be 8-12 months. Our visas were processed visa an agent I wonder if it's just easy to get them to manage or is it simple enough to do ourselves? Where would the application come from? Any idea on cost?

Edited by Rose Fuller

We are in the same position. We went to oz a year ago to activate our visa and spent 9 months there. We returned to the UK when I was 30 weeks pregnant, however we would like to get the baby a visa as we may go back at some point in the future. We still have 3 years left on our visa. Both parents English. So based in this feed I take it we would need to apply for a baby/child visa from the UK? We have a birth certificate but it sounds like we may need to get a passport too? And from this I take it processing time will be 8-12 months. Our visas were processed visa an agent I wonder if it's just easy to get them to manage or is it simple enough to do ourselves? Where would the application come from? Any idea on cost?
this visa also needs to be validated in the same way as skilled migration Pr visas, so would be applying when ready to go back, rather than just that you might go back.

Cost of child 101 is around $2000, plus medicals for child and new police checks for adults.

Child 101 in your case would be processed at Australia House in London. Many people do the child visas on their own others use an agent.

this visa also needs to be validated in the same way as skilled migration Pr visas, so would be applying when ready to go back, rather than just that you might go back.

Cost of child 101 is around $2000, plus medicals for child and new police checks for adults.

Child 101 in your case would be processed at Australia House in London. Many people do the child visas on their own others use an agent.

Thats great thank you

if parents need to return to Australia soon and can not wait for long process of subclass 101, the only solution is to bring the infant to Australia with visitor visa, and then lodge 802 visa once arrival, but during the 802 visa being processed, is the infant eligible for Medicare ?

Thats great thank you

if parents need to return to Australia soon and can not wait for long process of subclass 101, the only solution is to bring the infant to Australia with visitor visa, and then lodge 802 visa once arrival, but during the 802 visa being processed, is the infant eligible for Medicare ?

Provided they are living in Australia, most applicants become eligible for Medicare as soon as they have lodged a permanent visa application. In the case of a child whose parents are PRs, they would be eligible.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/3101-1306en.pdf Medicare enrolment form. See 'Applying for permanent residency'.

Edited by Ozmaniac

i spoke to our agent today and he said as we have a permanent visa the only way to do it is on a 101 child visa however he thought processing time could be 5 months which doesn't sound too bad as baby is only 3 weeks old so we wouldn't look at returning before then anyway.

i spoke to our agent today and he said as we have a permanent visa the only way to do it is on a 101 child visa however he thought processing time could be 5 months which doesn't sound too bad as baby is only 3 weeks old so we wouldn't look at returning before then anyway.

Thanks for your experience sharing, so embassy may provide priority processing for "infant" child ? based on the website, it may take almost 1 year to finalize subclass 101 visa.

Your agent is wrong, it states on Australia House site that new processing times are 8-12 months for offshore child visas, they have been at least 7 months for last few years that was before the new processing times were released by Australia house.

Hi Thanks for your sharing. It seems embassy does not follow the service standard as - https://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/5.0.htm ..

it says subclass 101 will take 3 months to process if applicants are from low risk countries.

Your agent is wrong, it states on Australia House site that new processing times are 8-12 months for offshore child visas, they have been at least 7 months for last few years that was before the new processing times were released by Australia house.

The service standards are just that - they are standards that DIBP aspires to and are not promises. When demand is high in a particular processing centre, processing times inevitably slip but even at the best of times, some applications take longer than the standard for various reasons. Read the notes at the top of the Service Standard page of the website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/About/Pages/service-standards/service-standards.aspx