Breaking up with Australian boyfriend over where to live

IT angel

Hey all

I have posted on here a few times looking for clarity. I have been living in the UK for the past 4 years but previously Melbourne for 4 years before that. Recently in the past 6 months things came to a head with my OH (who is aussie) and we broke up. We just couldn't agree on where we wanted to live - me desperate to get out of the UK and back to Melbourne, while he was loving everything the UK had to offer.

Weirdly when we broke up I considered staying in the UK as I wasn't sure what Oz had to offer me without him - but now I've had a few months to consider it, I really want to go and live my dream and not have to compromise for someone else.

I hope this doesn't make me selfish - and I wonder if my ex OH had been a different person I would have been content with the UK? I guess I'll never know.

I'm waiting to rent out my flat here, tie up some loose ends and hopefully be out there late January 2015, slightly cr*pping myself about doing it alone but I guess life is all about adventures really.

Not sure why I'm posting this, but would be up for meeting some fellow poms in Melbourne when I finally make the move :-)

Thank goodness you broke up before children were involved, I don't think you are being selfish, you are being honest and if he was 'the one' then you would have stayed in the UK to be with him.

Good luck in your adventures, it's normal to be nervous but my favourite saying is 'better to be scared to death than bored to death'….it does get me in a lot of bother but hey!

If he wasn't the one then it's your life. If he was the one and as you hurtle towards old age without him or anyone else then you'll know it was a bum decision. Good luck! Hope it all works out well. my Aussie raised son would say the same as your ex!

If he wasn't the one then it's your life. If he was the one and as you hurtle towards old age without him or anyone else then you'll know it was a bum decision. Good luck! Hope it all works out well. my Aussie raised son would say the same as your ex!

Are you saying she will never have another relationship ?

Seems a strange thing to assume.

Thanks Parley Cross (and others) I hope I will - I'm only in my thirties!?! Anyway I think the whole inter-continental relationship element and wanting different things added to our breakup but it wasn't the only reason - if it's meant be, it's meant to be right.

Not in the least! It'll either be the right thing to do or it won't! If he's the one and she's chucked it away she will look back with regret is all. Better now than with a swag of kids involved.

Hi IT Angel,

Just to reiterate what everyone above has said is you have done the right thing!

I have been in a long distance relationship for nearly 2 years now, me being from the UK and my now Fiance from Aus, I am currently living in Aus for a year, and the plan is for him to come back to the UK for a year and us marry at home (UK) it is the only thing I have ever asked him for, is that I marry at home with my family. We do both have that big decision to make as to where we are going to settle, but neither of us care where we go as long as we are together and what place we think together will be best to bring up a family one day!

me and my partner have known each other over 7 years and decided to give the long distance thing a try..... It's my strongest and best relationship I have ever had!!!

He wasn't for you, trust me we have all had a few of them....... It will happen when u least expect it, and hopefully when you come over here it will be seen as a fresh start, new place, new people, new lifestyle....... You will build in confidence!

Guest littlesarah
Thanks Parley Cross (and others) I hope I will - I'm only in my thirties!?! Anyway I think the whole inter-continental relationship element and wanting different things added to our breakup but it wasn't the only reason - if it's meant be, it's meant to be right.

I really don't believe in the whole 'the one' thing - it's all about the person, the time and how well you get along. To me, it seems logical that there are numerous people with whom each of us could have a successful relationship, but it's about the one we meet and settle down with (at which point, most of us stop considering anyone else as a possible mate)!

If it didn't work out, it didn't work out. There's no way to compromise when it comes to living in UK vs. Aus so it's better to be apart than trying to make something work when a fundamental difference can't be resolved (IMHO). Hope you have a fab time in Melbourne!

Archived