Migrating to Oz - having grown up there!

Kevin Mitchell

Not sure this is a unique situation: but having problems getting information on the possibility of moving back to Australia without constantly applying for a visa, after living in the UK for all but a couple of the past 40 years - with a UK passport.

Family emigrated to Oz in '57, I went to school there, worked for 4 years, then returned to the UK in '74. Rest of family still live in Australia.

So, how do I go about either getting an Australian passport, or a long-term visa for semi-retirement there? Australia House not a lot of help, it has to be said.

You don't, unfortunately. There is the last remaining relative visa which is probably only going to be available in the short term having been cut in the last budget but then reinstated for a little while. But you would have to have relatives only in Aus and it could take you 10-15 yrs to get there. If you've got family of your own in UK it's a non runner.

Best option may be 6 month tourist visas so you can have the best of both worlds.

Consult a MARA agent, they're better at visas than the public servants

You don't, unfortunately. There is the last remaining relative visa which is probably only going to be available in the short term having been cut in the last budget but then reinstated for a little while. But you would have to have relatives only in Aus and it could take you 10-15 yrs to get there. If you've got family of your own in UK it's a non runner.

Best option may be 6 month tourist visas so you can have the best of both worlds.

Consult a MARA agent, they're better at visas than the public servants

From what has been posted, it looks as if there could there could be visa strategies available. May I also suggest that you consult a registered migration agent?

I would have thought you could get a resumption of citizenship. Cause you had been educated in Australia, and had actually worked there, presumably you were a citizen back then.

Many migrants back then did not ever get citizenship - they arrived on a migrant visa and because they never travelled overseas there was never a need to change anything.

This is very true. As I posted in another thread I have read heartbreaking stories of families where the mother has returned to the UK to look after an aged parent and has spent more than 5 years out of Aus and therefore become ineligible for a RRV and had to go through the points process, despite having spent the majority of their lives in OZ. You would hope the immigration service would have some compassion in these cases but I guess the law doesnt allow for that.

My comment on compassion was related to those who have lived and worked in Australia all their lives as per my post above. Now edited to make clearer

My comment on compassion was related to those who have lived and worked in Australia all their lives as per my post above. Now edited to make clearer

Someone in the situation you described would usually get a RRV - all be it probably not a 5 year one. If they spent most of their lives in Australia and only had to return home to look after a family member that was ill, that would generally fufuill the compassionate grounds requirement, they would also need to show they still have strong ties to australia...so there most definitely is compassion shown generally

Archived