Easiest way in...27 year old...unskilled :(

Sean Golding

Hello guys, I am new to the forum and looking for some inspiration.

I recently travelled Oz on a working holiday visa and spent most of my time working in Perth.

I have decided that I would like to take the dive permanently and can't decide which route to take. Sadly my background is rather unskilled as I wasn't mature enough to enter further education straight from school and I have spent the last 6 years working between security in the UK and travelling.

So I am in a slight dilemma, currently looking for my easiest route to PR. I am stuck between 2 choices...

1. Complete a bachelors degree in Computing with RDI, achievable within 3 years part time distance study. I believe that would give me 15 points. Add that to hopefully 20 on the IELTS and 30 for age and I would have 65. When you have 65 points does that guarantee you entry?

2. Go and study for 2 years in Australia, just a diploma I believe awarded by an Australian educational body can get me 15 points, at which point I could be also up to 65?

Sadly the career that I most want is not sponsored or on the SOL, although they are always recruiting, but you have to have PR to apply so I am literally looking just at the quickest easiest (and hopefully cheapest) way to get PR.

Thanks

Hi Sean

did you not meet any nice Aussies ladies in Perth you could have married?...I know one @bottler

sorry, not meaning to be flippant.

thing is you could study for whatever but it could be taken off the list at anytime.

personally I would go for the study here option...only that it always seems easier to stay here once here, but I'm no expert.

My daughters boyfriend was in the same boat as you. Came here on a WHV, having no trained background but wanting to stay.

He took a pretty crappy entry level job with a large organisation, proved his worth, they then agreed to take him on in a apprentice role, a trainee visa. Now he is nearing the end of that, but hopefully having some Oz quals in a trade will now stand him in good stead.

hoping that the company will now sponsor him shortly on a 457.

Hi Sean

You are being very realistic with your options which is good. It's your choice but it is very expensive to study in Oz and the student working restrictions of 20 hours mean that money would be hard. I recommend UK study. Choose a degree you are truly interested in so that it will be easier to stick with and something that would definitely be a wanted skill in Oz; perhaps even something that leads into what you really want to do?

Best of luck

Millie x

Small prob with your plan, majority of occupations also require a number of years work experience before you can gain a positive skills assessment. ACS require set number of years, also a 3 year part time distance learning degree is not likely going to be equivalent to an Australian degree for you to be able to get the 15 points.

Studying in Australia cost a lot for international fees plus you can only work 40 hrs a fortnight. To be eligible for the graduate visa to gain work experience to be able to meet requirements for a positive a.kills assessmemt the course you chose must be an occupation from SOL.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

There is no quick way or easy way to gain PR but you need the qualifications and work experience to be eligible.

Small prob with your plan, majority of occupations also require a number of years work experience before you can gain a positive skills assessment. ACS require set number of years, also a 3 year part time distance learning degree is not likely going to be equivalent to an Australian degree for you to be able to get the 15 points.

Studying in Australia cost a lot for international fees plus you can only work 40 hrs a fortnight. To be eligible for the graduate visa to gain work experience to be able to meet requirements for a positive a.kills assessmemt the course you chose must be an occupation from SOL.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf

There is no quick way or easy way to gain PR but you need the qualifications and work experience to be eligible.

Thanks for all the input guys. Holy sh** I didn't know that I would need a certain amount of work experience on top, that puts me on a very tight deadline before I lose points for turning 33 after gaining qualifications and experience, besides that is far too long to wait, maybe the study in oz would be the better option then, although tough and expensive. If I can save enough in the UK beforehand to cover my 2 years education, then 20 hours a week of work is definitely sufficient to survive. Besides there's always a few cash jobs knocking around. The there is also the option of a de facto visa if I am lucky enough to settle down with one of those beautiful Australian girls :)

Hi sean

As mentioned above to get a 15 point degree it would have to be a full time 3 year one min. Then depending on the profession your are going for most need a number of years work experience post qualification to pass skills assessment. If you lose points due to age you can get them back for years work experience. So it would take 3-4 years min to think about skilled PR visa.

Also so you mentioned you left school without further study. You can't just decide to do a degree! You will need certain entry qualifications like A levels at a required grade or a two year full time diploma to apply for a degree. If you haven't got these yet you'll need to add another two years to your journey.

Best advise would be to arrange a free consultation with visa agent and they will give you the options you have.

Good luck on your journey and keep posting on here as there are lots of knowledgeable people on here.

Hi sean

As mentioned above to get a 15 point degree it would have to be a full time 3 year one min. Then depending on the profession your are going for most need a number of years work experience post qualification to pass skills assessment. If you lose points due to age you can get them back for years work experience. So it would take 3-4 years min to think about skilled PR visa.

Also so you mentioned you left school without further study. You can't just decide to do a degree! You will need certain entry qualifications like A levels at a required grade or a two year full time diploma to apply for a degree. If you haven't got these yet you'll need to add another two years to your journey.

Best advise would be to arrange a free consultation with visa agent and they will give you the options you have.

Good luck on your journey and keep posting on here as there are lots of knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks for the input, I was looking at a degree with RDI who are affiliated with the University of Bradford, the degrees are aimed at 4.5 years but can be completed in a minimum of 3. They also said they would accept me without A levels as I have plenty of full time work experience (which doesn't have to be in a related field). However as stated which I didn't realise is that I would need a few years experience to pass the skills test.

I am considering the study in oz route, and hope the choice of study isn't removed from the SOL. Then I believe I can go on to an 18 month temporary graduate visa, and take a skills assessment at work over that time. If all goes well I could then apply for skilled migration having already completed the skills assessment, 30 points for age, 20 IELTS, 5 for 1 year skilled employment within Australia, 10 for a Diploma/Trade Qualification and a further 5 for them being awarded by an Australian educational body giving me a total of 70 points. Although trying to find around $30k for the 2 years at TAFE and the visas may take a little time! :(

Seriously, it's a bad idea.

Firstly, to get into tafe they wanted to see I had a-levels.

You can't risk working cash in hand! If you are caught, which a few were when I was doing my course, you get chucked out of the country and banned for three years.

Even if the thing you train in is still on the sol (mine came off just as I'd finished my course) the 485 isn't a long enough visa to get the work experience which you still need to pass a skills assessment. Currently you could get a 457 visa IF you found a company to sponsor you. They recently changed other employer sponsored visas do that you need two years post Aussie qualifications to get the visa. It wouldn't surprise me if the 457 went the same way in the next couple of years.

Finding work ore when you are restricted to 20 hours a week is WAY harder than you'd think. People want full time. Some people on my course ended up working in petrol stations and driving taxis as that was all they could get. They then didn't have any relivant experience to get the 485 visa.

It took me another three years from the end of my course to get PR, and that pathway wouldn't be open to me now. That was with being tied to a crap paying job for another two years.

Seriously, it's not worth it. So many people had to leave at the end of their courses, and still do. We nearly had to, and it's heart breaking.

Seriously, it's a bad idea.

Firstly, to get into tafe they wanted to see I had a-levels.

You can't risk working cash in hand! If you are caught, which a few were when I was doing my course, you get chucked out of the country and banned for three years.

Even if the thing you train in is still on the sol (mine came off just as I'd finished my course) the 485 isn't a long enough visa to get the work experience which you still need to pass a skills assessment. Currently you could get a 457 visa IF you found a company to sponsor you. They recently changed other employer sponsored visas do that you need two years post Aussie qualifications to get the visa. It wouldn't surprise me if the 457 went the same way in the next couple of years.

Finding work ore when you are restricted to 20 hours a week is WAY harder than you'd think. People want full time. Some people on my course ended up working in petrol stations and driving taxis as that was all they could get. They then didn't have any relivant experience to get the 485 visa.

It took me another three years from the end of my course to get PR, and that pathway wouldn't be open to me now. That was with being tied to a crap paying job for another two years.

Seriously, it's not worth it. So many people had to leave at the end of their courses, and still do. We nearly had to, and it's heart breaking.

Thanks again for the reply, I think I need to do some more homework :) Actually one of my housemates when I was living there also had her TAFE occupation taken off the list, I guess markets over there are starting to saturate. I get worried that staying in the UK for several years could introduce a factor that may well keep me here, besides living the temporary life for a further 6-7 years just isn't appealing, maybe I should use my one time WHV for NZ and try find a nice kiwi girl ;)

They make it so hard for decent young people who would be a great asset to Australia. But if you are loaded you can buy your way in - no questions asked how you made your money. Under the Significant Investor Visa, migrant investors are required to make an investment of at least AUD5million into complying investments for a period of at least four years on a provisional visa before being eligible to apply for a permanent visa. If you had $5mil would you still want to live in Australia?

Edited by Ozmaniac
Duplicate post removed

Thanks again for the reply, I think I need to do some more homework :) Actually one of my housemates when I was living there also had her TAFE occupation taken off the list, I guess markets over there are starting to saturate. I get worried that staying in the UK for several years could introduce a factor that may well keep me here, besides living the temporary life for a further 6-7 years just isn't appealing, maybe I should use my one time WHV for NZ and try find a nice kiwi girl ;)

I know you were probably kidding about "maybe I should use my one time WHV for NZ and try find a nice kiwi girl" but if you really could find a nice girl over there and establish a GENUINE relationship with her, that could also get you to Australia with work rights after being with her for only 12 months or so. Australia has a special visa (the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)) for partners and dependents of Kiwis and it brings with it greatly reduced eligibility requirements for employer sponsored permanent visas.

I have lived the temporary life for 6/7 years. In 2008 I was 25 and set myself a 5 year plan... It took slightly longer and I have never been to Aus yet but I am now on the process of getting that PR Visa early next year. I say its certainly worth the wait. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Oh, and I did end up with a hubby in tow, however he had the same vision as me and we both wanted Australia!

I have lived the temporary life for 6/7 years. In 2008 I was 25 and set myself a 5 year plan... It took slightly longer and I have never been to Aus yet but I am now on the process of getting that PR Visa early next year. I say its certainly worth the wait. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Oh, and I did end up with a hubby in tow, however he had the same vision as me and we both wanted Australia!

I don't think there is going to be any quick fixes, I think I will settle in the UK for a while and use the time to work towards something that may be useful in getting over there in years to come. And yes if I had $5,000,000AUD I would still want to live there! It's the only place that I have been that has amazing weather/scenery and a good level of economy and civilisation. There are many beautiful places in Europe, I lived in Greece for 6 years and absolutely love it, but realistically there will come a day that healthcare, pensions and mortgages become an important aspect of life. Besides I slightly fell in love with the Aussie lifestyle.

I know its probably not what you want to hear but just my output. I had a friend who went over and studied at a University in NSW she was there 3/4 years (Lost count lol) in total she did a degree, prior to going over her occupation was on the list for the course she was doing and she was hoping to get a graduate visa and sponsorship afterwards. However in her last year her occupation came off the list and after her graduation she had to return back to the UK. 4 years on she's still in the UK.

I trained at University over here in the UK and got the three years experience in office management and was just about to put my qualification and work experience for skills assessment to apply for a visa. Then...my job also went off the skills list.

We are still fighting to come over and my OH is retraining as a chef at the moment and currently has a cook job we are hoping to move in a few years time once he has enough experience behind him. His getting his Cookery diploma at the moment and will be finished in Spring. However we also run the risk of that being taking off. All you can do is try, his relatives in Perth told us, "If you want it desperate enough your find a way" and we are determined to go, just trying out best to go lol.

Best of luck in whatever decision you do but just don't make yourself completely miserable in doing a course you wont enjoy (We both have an interest in what we studied/worked).

Good luck