who pays for sponsorship?

Rachandian

Hello everyone,

Just a few questions I'm hoping I can have a few opinions on . Me and my partner are on a 417 visa. Both aged 30 and 28. We both have trades and have been working for companies forth past 5 months. My partner is a special class welder and has been offered sponsorship. The company have said they will pay but they will need us to pay them back in installments. From what I can understand this is not allowed. I'm know wondering if all things even worth the move from UK.

I look forward to a reply.

Thanks

You guys do realise she said 417 visa, as in working holiday? I myself am actually interested in an answer. Are sponserships easy to come by? I'm also a welder.

Chris

She said that's what they are on now and they have been offered sponsorship. There is no way to 'sponsor' a 417 visa so it must be either a 457, 186 or 187 which has been offered.

Hello everyone,

Just a few questions I'm hoping I can have a few opinions on . Me and my partner are on a 417 visa. Both aged 30 and 28. We both have trades and have been working for companies forth past 5 months. My partner is a special class welder and has been offered sponsorship. The company have said they will pay but they will need us to pay them back in installments. From what I can understand this is not allowed. I'm know wondering if all things even worth the move from UK.

I look forward to a reply.

Thanks

It all depends on what sort of “sponsorship” you are refereeing to.

If they are sponsoring you for a subclass 457 visa the company must pay the costs associated with the Sponsorship and Nomination applications. Either party can pay for the visa costs. That said even here they have to be careful as they cannot force you to use their Agent for the visa and if they do they cannot recoup the costs from you.

If they are sponsoring you for a subclass 186 or 187 then this can be paid by either party and can be negotiated between you.

thanks for all your replies. I'm unaware of any other visas that are out there. I thought the only way we can now stay was to get sponsored. The company said they usually pay upfront for it,(457) and then we pay them back in installments.

I'm not too sure the big 're location move from UK is worth it. The money will be near the same as at home, taking into consideration the cost of living here and paying the 7k to be sponsored :-/

The company have left it too late to be honest as we only have 4 months left on our 417.

thank you everyone for your replies

There are several sponsored visas. The 457 is a temporary visa (up to 4 years), and is often what people are first offered. 186 and 187 visas are permanent residency visas, and the company isn't obligated to pay for any of it.

The 457 visa has 3 steps, and as Raul has said, there are parts that the company MUST pay for.

- sponsorship for the Company to register as an eligible sponsor (paid by employer)

- nomination for the Company to nominate you for a 457 visa (paid by employer)

- application for you to apply for a 457 visa (doesn't need to be paid by employer)

If they expect to recoup costs from you, I'd make sure to get in writing what costs these are related to. If it's $7K, then that's definitely more than just the sponsorship and nomination so that must include the use of a migration agent.

There are visas which are not linked to an employer the 189 and the 190 look on www.immi.gov.au. For the lowdown on all the visas requirements and fees.

to stay in Australia you will need to lodge a valid application for one of the visas mentioned BEFORE your current visa expires, if the visa is not granted when your WHV runs out you will move to a bridging visa to allow you to stay. If you cannot do this then you can leave and apply from offshore.

thanks for all your replies. I'm unaware of any other visas that are out there. I thought the only way we can now stay was to get sponsored. The company said they usually pay upfront for it,(457) and then we pay them back in installments.

I'm not too sure the big 're location move from UK is worth it. The money will be near the same as at home, taking into consideration the cost of living here and paying the 7k to be sponsored :-/

The company have left it too late to be honest as we only have 4 months left on our 417.

thank you everyone for your replies

$7K for Sponsorship would be the total cost?

Legally you can pay the visa application cost for yourself and your partner $1035 x2 =$2070.

The other $5000 would be the Nomination and SBS registration and other associated costs like Agent charges which the employer can't pass on.

Archived