Perth or Lake Macquarie

Aideen

Hi guys

i could really use some advice. My husband and I are moving over next July for three years with our 2 toddlers ( well eldest starts school out there). We've good job offers in Lake Macquarie (Toronto) and in perth. The lifestyle in Perth looks amazing but salary is probably better in Toronto. We've heard perth is ridiculously expensive ( we would be based north perth ie Hilary's area). The trip is about lifestyle but also to save a bit for coming back unless we are so blown away by it we decide to stay. Has anyone lived in both place? Is perth absolutely ridiculously expensive or is all of Australia? Is lake mac the middle of nowhere?

Thanks for any help

aideen

I can tell you Lake Mac is not the middle of nowhere... it is scenic enough and close enough to Sydney, you can get to sydney in about an hour and you can be back to nice quiet serene life. that said, Perth is a fantastic place and i am in the process of moving there myself. i do know i have heard about the cost of living there, but i dont think it is too ridiculous.

In the end, it is up to what you want. a reccie trip might help inform that decision. both places are very good and they both have merits and demerits.

i could really use some advice. My husband and I are moving over next July for three years with our 2 toddlers ( well eldest starts school out there). We've good job offers in Lake Macquarie (Toronto) and in perth. The lifestyle in Perth looks amazing but salary is probably better in Toronto. We've heard perth is ridiculously expensive ( we would be based north perth ie Hilary's area). The trip is about lifestyle but also to save a bit for coming back unless we are so blown away by it we decide to stay. Has anyone lived in both place? Is perth absolutely ridiculously expensive or is all of Australia? Is lake mac the middle of nowhere?

aideen

I'd recommend Lake Macquarie every time. It's not a big city, of course, but it has a lot of amenities because it's popular with Australian holidaymakers. Many people would love to live there but can't because jobs are scarce, so you're lucky to get the chance! You can get the real Aussie dream there - close to beaches and the Lake with all its water activities, and the housing is cheap by Australian standards.

The main reason I'm very hesitant about Perth is not because it's a bad place. It's just a place that you either love or hate - there doesn't seem to be any "in between". Just take a browse around these forums - the Perth bashers and the Perth lovers are always at each others' throats and there's no middle ground! It's impossible to say, until you get there, which camp you'll fall into. And if you turn out to be in the "haters" camp, it's going to cost a fortune for you to move anywhere else in Australia due to the distances involved. In fact we looked into it once (I have family in Perth) and to send our belongings from Sydney to Perth would cost nearly as much as sending them to the UK!

Whereas at Lake Macquarie, if you're not happy you can just drive to Sydney, Canberra, the Gold Coast, Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast etc etc to check them out, and relocating wouldn't be costly.

Hi guys

Thanks for any help

aideen

My wife has lived in both places we've been here for 22 years and live close to Hillary's. She lived in Toronto for most of her secondary school life when her Dad had a job over there. When we were thinking of emigrating if we hadn't have got in here we would probably have given Canada a try. My wife and I like warm weather though and living near the Coast had been one of our dreams.

She's told me lots of stories about how cold it gets in the Winter and how warm in Summer in Toronto. Her Dad told me that during the winter he used to have a heater under the car to stop the oil freezing up. That sounds way too cold for me.:laugh:

I only know that this was our first choice by a long way. We wanted to give something out of the UK a go and anywhere in Aus would have done before my wife would consider Canada.

I think all the stories you hear about Perth and Aus being expensive are blown out of proportion. When we were back on holiday in the UK last year, if we took our parents out for lunch to a nice place it wasn't any cheaper than here. There are cheap and expensive places in both places.

There is so much you can do here that is free. Free parking at the beach and the numerous parks. Kids generally love the beach and if you are going to be near Hillary's it's a top spot to be. Plenty of things to see and do, restaurants, pubs on your doorstep, Joondalup close if you don't fancy going into Perth. Fantastic climate. Good luck.:cool:

So different! Perth just doesn't do it for me so would have to be Lake Macquarrie - but it is a relatively quiet place. Wonderful scenery and close to great beaches. People seem to have a fantastic lifestyle there. I think you are very lucky to have landed the opportunity to work there - you can always move to Perth later if it doesn't float your boat, but I bet you wouldn't want to.....

Archived