A week ago we landed! First impressions!

Kellie23

So after starting our visas last September 2013, we arrived at Brisbane airport last weds morning as permanent residents!

The goodbyes in the UK that last week were unbelievably hard. More difficult than you can possibly want to imagine! Seeing my dad and my father in law crying was heart wrenching! Never seen them cry before.

You have to be soooo brave to do this move that's for sure!

So here we are a week later me, hubby and our 3 children.

So far we are in our rental property, very nice. We have got mobile phones- signal no where near like UK! We have arranged tv, landline and internet package. We have bought furniture and are in process of buying a car.

Hubby has job interview tomo morn, kids start school next week and then we can better judge what life here will be like.

Weathers been great and kids loving the pool, parks and beach! Plenty of that.

I will update again in a week or so

kellie

@Kellie23 We leave in two weeks time and have had our goodbye party already and we finish work next week. I know what you've been through up to where we are right now and boy is it exhausting! Its hard work saying goodbye and my Mrs is grieving a life left behind already. Why do all your friends wait til you say your going away before telling you what you men to them lol. I'm so greatful for face time and skype thats for sure cos that stuff is gonna get worn out before too long ;0).

Thanks for your update and I look forward to reading your next one.

Good luck to you all :0)

Hi Kellie.Planning on making a move early next year with my 3 bubs as well.Am a bit apprehensive about the journey and all the Luggage.

My kids are 11,4 and 2.

How much luggage did you carry and how many bags?

Hey, we had loads! We had 5 suitcases, a travel cot and a buggy then we had 5 hand luggage suitcases too! I packed snacks, spare clothes, toothbrushes, toys into our hand luggage. Lots to keep kids entertained. We did night flight first which helped as lil one 20 months slept most of that. When she was awake she had half hour of running up and down the plane but everyone was so nice and friendly and I think they quite liked her stopping and saying hi. The staff on singapore airlines were absolutely amazing they were really friendly, very helpful and when Rose was going into their space on plane behind curtains they were playing with her. I think I expected it to be horrendous and was pleasantly surprised. We wore her out at heathrow and at singapore airports in the play areas they have, very handy. My other two who are 7 and 9 just watched films and played on their iPads, my eldest was sick on both flights bless her which is why I packed spare clothes for everyone. Didn't need the spare clothes as she was sick in a bag but I've been on flight where someone was sick and had no spare, so wasn't taking any chances. The staff bought her out warm water to sip and kept coming to make sure she was ok. Def recommend singapore airlines

Yay Kellie - you're here!!!

Where have you decided to rent?? I hope your husband had a successful interview.

x

Hey tina we are in PAC pines! Danny got the job, starts Tuesday hooray! We shud meet for coffee in a few weeks. Your in coomera right? X

@hawkmoon1704 yeah nothing prepares you for those goodbyes! I was the same as your wife. Everyone said once your here and busy making a life here you will be fine and they were right. We still miss everyone of course but so busy sorting everything here you don't have time to think too much. Before we left I was thinking thinking thinking second guessing ourselves, panicking and thinking oh god what have we done but not felt like that here. Just get that final goodbye done and get on that plane! Good luck and safe journey. Where you heading? Hey I see your from Corby I have family there.

Hello Kellie, what area have you chose to move to and how did you find securing a rental so soon? was it pretty straightforward getting kids into school?

Hey, we are in PAC pines and kids are starting at PAC pines primary school next week. I managed to secure a rental from the UK. I emailed the managing agent and I had to give proof of funds and pay 6 months up front but I thought this was better than wasting money on a hol let. I must add though I knew the layout of the rental as we stayed in one last year that our friends have so I knew what we were getting. Paying 425 a week. I had to arrange electricity too which I did through origin. Gas is on cylinders which you have replaced when one runs out you switch to the other and get that one replaced. Once I know how long they last and how much elec is oh and water I'll post on here to give people idea of costs..

Hey tina we are in PAC pines! Danny got the job, starts Tuesday hooray! We shud meet for coffee in a few weeks. Your in coomera right? X

We're up in Wellington Point now. Rich got a job in a school and my son starts on Tuesday!! All falling into place.

Could always meet up half way for a coffee!!

Glad your husband got the job - it's been a huge relief knowing that Rich has work and means that there's less pressure for me to secure a job straight away! :-)

@Kellie23 We leave in two weeks time and have had our goodbye party already and we finish work next week. I know what you've been through up to where we are right now and boy is it exhausting! Its hard work saying goodbye and my Mrs is grieving a life left behind already. Why do all your friends wait til you say your going away before telling you what you men to them lol. I'm so greatful for face time and skype thats for sure cos that stuff is gonna get worn out before too long ;0).

Thanks for your update and I look forward to reading your next one.

Good luck to you all :0)

Careful you don't spend so much time on facetime and skype you forget to get on with your life here hawkmoon. Your family will be rubbing their hands together thinking about when they can fit in their first holiday here, if our experience is anything to go by.

Hi Kellie123

have loved reading your updates. We are ping ponging to Sunshine Coast on Tuesday after we returned to ireland this year from Melbourne. Have 3 kids 8,4 and 2. We have a short term rental for 3 weeks on arrival at Alexander headlands but pacific pines is on our list of potential long term places. Is it nice area? Do you see kids playing out at all after school?

Hey, we are in PAC pines and kids are starting at PAC pines primary school next week. I managed to secure a rental from the UK. I emailed the managing agent and I had to give proof of funds and pay 6 months up front but I thought this was better than wasting money on a hol let. I must add though I knew the layout of the rental as we stayed in one last year that our friends have so I knew what we were getting. Paying 425 a week. I had to arrange electricity too which I did through origin. Gas is on cylinders which you have replaced when one runs out you switch to the other and get that one replaced. Once I know how long they last and how much elec is oh and water I'll post on here to give people idea of costs..

Careful you don't spend so much time on facetime and skype you forget to get on with your life here hawkmoon. Your family will be rubbing their hands together thinking about when they can fit in their first holiday here, if our experience is anything to go by.

Hehe, that tickled me.. We have family visits scheduled for next UK summer already!! I don't fly out until 3rd November... Tickets going faster than Glastonbury... :wink:

Hehe, that tickled me.. We have family visits scheduled for next UK summer already!! I don't fly out until 3rd November... Tickets going faster than Glastonbury... :wink:

We've been here 22 years and we have to lie to the wife's mate all the time to put her off coming over. We say other people are coming around the time she wants to come. She's a bit annoying though to tell the truth, likes to be the centre of attention. A downside is people are coming from a long way away do assume they can stay for a month, 6 weeks, no problem. They also seem to assume you are loaded, keep the fridge stocked up and run a taxi and tourist firm that doesn't charge.:laugh:

We have lots of ex-pat friends and we could write a pretty funny book between us about friends and relations testing out the relationship.

When our parents had been out for 6 weeks each in the first year we agreed we would tell out respective parents when they came again that a month would be the max. Not long after my wifes Dad rang, he was thinking about coming for 3 months and had sort of let my wife know what he was thinking. I said she would have to tell him what we'd agreed to and she was plucking up courage. He rang and my eldest, who was about 6 at the time answered the phone. He must have said something about coming for 3 months and my son replied that's OK with me Grandad but I don't think paul's too happy. My wife grabbed the phone off him and luckily it worked like a charm. He must have realised he was pushing his luck.:laugh:

We have some friends with a nice pool and they come in every night to find the in-laws laid around the pool, half pissed, beer fridge empty again and the first words are "what's for dinner" when they've had a day at work.:laugh:

We've been here 22 years and we have to lie to the wife's mate all the time to put her off coming over. We say other people are coming around the time she wants to come. She's a bit annoying though to tell the truth, likes to be the centre of attention. A downside is people are coming from a long way away do assume they can stay for a month, 6 weeks, no problem. They also seem to assume you are loaded, keep the fridge stocked up and run a taxi and tourist firm that doesn't charge.:laugh:

We have lots of ex-pat friends and we could write a pretty funny book between us about friends and relations testing out the relationship.

When our parents had been out for 6 weeks each in the first year we agreed we would tell out respective parents when they came again that a month would be the max. Not long after my wifes Dad rang, he was thinking about coming for 3 months and had sort of let my wife know what he was thinking. I said she would have to tell him what we'd agreed to and she was plucking up courage. He rang and my eldest, who was about 6 at the time answered the phone. He must have said something about coming for 3 months and my son replied that's OK with me Grandad but I don't think paul's too happy. My wife grabbed the phone off him and luckily it worked like a charm. He must have realised he was pushing his luck.:laugh:

We have some friends with a nice pool and they come in every night to find the in-laws laid around the pool, half pissed, beer fridge empty again and the first words are "what's for dinner" when they've had a day at work.:laugh:

I feel your pain Paul1Perth, we lived in Germany for a few years and had many visitors. Most were great, but others wanted to treat it like an all inclusive resort.. We actually fell out with a few people over it, towards the end, but with these particular people, it was going to happen sooner or later anyway.. It's sometimes true what they say about being able to choose your friends but not your family lol.. :) :wink: My friends in Townsville generally refuse to take anything from me when I go over, but I did manage to sneak the odd tank of Petrol into the car and top up the beer fridge without too much aggravation.. It's not so much the money, I find, as it's nice to be offered.. :)

Hi Kellie123

have loved reading your updates. We are ping ponging to Sunshine Coast on Tuesday after we returned to ireland this year from Melbourne. Have 3 kids 8,4 and 2. We have a short term rental for 3 weeks on arrival at Alexander headlands but pacific pines is on our list of potential long term places. Is it nice area? Do you see kids playing out at all after school?

So far so good, everyone I have met has been really nice and offered loads of info. I can't comment yet on the after school part as kids are off here at mo, they go back tues after a bank hol weekend. I'll come back and let u know. X

Archived