Which airline would you choose?

sandsfamily

Hi, just looking for some opinions on this subject.

Myself and hubby have only ever thought to use Emirates to fly to Perth via Dubai. He has two cousins who emigrated to Perth and both have used the company and said they're second to none. Only thing is they don't have a 4 year old and 2 year old to make the trip with us when we go. I have been googling the type of plane we'd fly on and what to expect and to be honest it looks cramped and dated and is a little off putting. We can only afford to fly economy so looking for the most comfy option for my babies.

Singapore airlines every time with young kids. Transit in Changi airport is great. Swimming pool on the hotel roof for a dip, lots of soft play areas, shower, outdoor areas. Check out the airport website.

The first leg is long. Depending on flights it's the A380 so lovely new plane. Shorter second leg on to Aus.

Night flight, kids conk out, staff great. Have never been able to fault them.

I've flown with small children on Eithad and Emirates (both great) but after our recent trip from London to Melb with Singapore Airlines they will be our top choice going forward. They have child sized headphones so they can actually use the entertainment system, very friendly staff and nice big planes. They key difference for us was the stop over in Changi, Singapore (4hrs). They have massage chairs (free!!!) next to the kids playground, a fish pond and a butterfly house! With a 2yro you will also appreciate the baby changing facilities, trying to find a baby change in Dubai airport was ridiculous!

I can only reiterate what previous posters have said , after many flights back and forth to the UK , my first choice would be Singapore Airlines for all the above reasons ...

Dave C

Singapore does seem to be very popular and always has been, so you have to take something from that. I have only flown them once many years ago and it was fine, nothing special. I have transited in Singapore several times though (on other airlines) and found it really quite a chore, very long queues and slow process every time.

If I were flying economy it would all be about seat pitch, Singapore is perfectly reasonable at 32 inches, there are quite a lot at 31 inches. Thai and Air New Zealand are two of the best at 34 inches.

Though not travelling with little ones, I would say Singapore or maybe airlines that go via Singapore, because the airport facilities there are excellent for the short layovers in changing planes. Other than that I have had no real problems with Cathay, Malaysian, Thai, Finair, Swissair, the only sort of problem I had was with Singapore airlines with a delayed flight meaning missed connection, but the way the looked after us was really good. All the above from what I have seen have looked after the passengers with young children, never witnessed anybody getting upset with attendants.

Have not flown Emirates or Etihad as yet so can not really comment other than my parents have and was ok for them, we avoid flying BA or Qantas again.

As I have no real preference to any single airline then it is price which drives me initially, then timings, will always pay a little more (but not $100's) if timings are more to my liking, and then plane/seating type.

Though not travelling with little ones, I would say Singapore or maybe airlines that go via Singapore, because the airport facilities there are excellent for the short layovers in changing planes. Other than that I have had no real problems with Cathay, Malaysian, Thai, Finair, Swissair, the only sort of problem I had was with Singapore airlines with a delayed flight meaning missed connection, but the way the looked after us was really good. All the above from what I have seen have looked after the passengers with young children, never witnessed anybody getting upset with attendants.

Have not flown Emirates or Etihad as yet so can not really comment other than my parents have and was ok for them, we avoid flying BA or Qantas again.

As I have no real preference to any single airline then it is price which drives me initially, then timings, will always pay a little more (but not $100's) if timings are more to my liking, and then plane/seating type.

May I ask why you wouldn't fly Ba or qantas? Just looking for flights myself :-)

We used Singapore and they were really good. A good range of TV and films. Games were ok. The food was nice and the aircrew were smiling, courteous and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble.

On,y had 2 hours in Singapore airport, but it was clean, you could use UK or Oz money to buy drinks/snacks (we literally got off one plane and went straight to the next departure gate so didn't see a shopping bit, but thee were little stalls selling drinks along the way)

We flew emirates in feb with a 5 and 10 yr old. Thought it was one of the best airlines I have ever used. Had loads of freebies for kids including child size headphones, backpack, wallet, cards, seat belt soft toy etc. Didn't feel cramped. In fact on one leg we had 3 rows of seats to ourselves (couldn't ask for more!!!!). Good selection of films and games. Food was great and good kids selection too. Can't compare it to Singapore Airlines though as have never used them.

May I ask why you wouldn't fly Ba or qantas? Just looking for flights myself :-)

I have had good and not so good with both airlines. And as said, price wise they are usually not near any of the cheapest (and often better standard/service) airlines.

Any airline that doesn't fly over an active war zone is ok in my book.. :) I find them all very similar, but try to find flights with the lowest journey time. I've got Qantas - London - Dubai - Brisbane - Townsville 25 hours in total.. That'll do for me, no hanging around for hours on end in hot airports.. :)

Do they fly direct? I thought all flights were broken up?

Last time I looked BA only flew to Sydney with their own planes, otherwise it was code shares from Asia usually. Qantas code sharing it's the Asia leg to Aus their planes seem to do mostly. They code share with Emirates now don't they so that airline picks up a lot of the flights from LHR.

And they all stop to at least re fuel for 45 mins in Asia somewhere. I think this is what is meant as non stop by Chloe.

Do they fly direct? I thought all flights were broken up?

They all need to land. I think the BA flight 15 stops for a refuel at Singapore, then carries on. You have to disembark though, so no real difference to changing planes altogether.

If you've got to disembark anyway, you may as well go on a better airline than BA.

Last time I looked BA only flew to Sydney with their own planes, otherwise it was code shares from Asia usually. Qantas code sharing it's the Asia leg to Aus their planes seem to do mostly. They code share with Emirates now don't they so that airline picks up a lot of the flights from LHR.

And they all stop to at least re fuel for 45 mins in Asia somewhere. I think this is what is meant as non stop by Chloe.

yeah that's what I meant. I stopped at Hong Kong last time for 30 mins

Avoid Cathy Pacific. While the staff were great, terrible, old, dilapidated planes. Would never fly with them again. Seriously scary.

I've flown with Cathy Pacific, Qantas and Emirates. Emirates where outstanding. I would choose the Arab airlines Emirates and Etihad first.

Avoid Cathy Pacific. While the staff were great, terrible, old, dilapidated planes. Would never fly with them again. Seriously scary.

I've flown with Cathy Pacific, Qantas and Emirates. Emirates where outstanding. I would choose the Arab airlines Emirates and Etihad first.

Thanks for the tip, at the moment the affordable flights I have been looking at are qantas, Emirates or Cathy Pacific. I was thinking about Cathy as I prefer not to stop at Dubai and would rather stop in Asia.

Worst service ever experienced both in the air and on the ground. Citrus farmers should be happy though!

Beside that they very rarely come near the top of the list on searches when looking for fares.

Never had a problem with either of them, but agree they don't do well on competitive pricing, compared to other reputatable airlines.

Thanks for the tip, at the moment the affordable flights I have been looking at are qantas, Emirates or Cathy Pacific. I was thinking about Cathy as I prefer not to stop at Dubai and would rather stop in Asia.

I have flown Cathay this year (January) from London to HK and then to Bangkok, and also flown in 2012 from London to Australia and they were not a problem at all - the planes were A380s. I also prefer to fly via Asia and not Dubai - for no other reason than it splits the two sectors more evenly and I prefer to explore Asian cities, given the chance of some time outside the airport.

If you are flying from London, it can be significantly cheaper to start the Australia flight in another European city (ie Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Helsinki) and then get a cheap flight to your chosen European city, to start the Australia leg of your journey. This is how I've flown business class (Emirates/Qantas) - could not have afforded it otherwise!

My partner has flown business class with Cathay and he cannot rate highly enough (and he is a fussy begger!).

I flew back in August from Oz to the UK after a holiday for 2 months and yes I flew with Malaysian Airlines. Loads of leg room (I was economy), good films etc to watch and couldn't fault it. Stopped at Kuala Lumpur for the plane change. We've also flown with Cathay Pacific last Christmas and previously Royal Brunei. Flew Qantas years ago. I've never found any problems with any of the airlines we've flown with and generally I choose who to fly with by price and one that doesn't have a long wait between flights.

Archived