moving back pregnant as a lone parent to be.. benefits etc???

twister100

Hi all

Been away from UK since 2007. Prior to that all life as UK resident and working wise, 15 years in NHS.

Married to Kiwi, planned pregnancy, relationship broken down, living remotely.

Need to return to UK to be around the support of family and friends.

However... I only have small amount of savings, unlikely to be able to get a job whilst heavily pregnant, happy to get back into work once baby old enough.

What might I be eligible for?

Husband is not wanting involvement.

I won't be eligible for Australia maternity either, as became pregnant as soon as started new job and was doing voluntary work before so no centrelink either (I'm Australian citizen).

Its tough... stay here in absolute isolation and work more to get more money...utterly unsupported... or...

return to UK to my mum's place (*she cant afford to support me but will offer lodgings), be around emotional support.. but, I just dont know what I can access or how I will survive.

I want the baby in UK at the local hospital... I am too isolated here.

Any info gratefully received, thanks

What a dilemma! Personally, I would use what savings you have to get on a plane and return back to the UK while you still can. After a certain number of months into your pregnancy airlines will not accept you, so you are going to have a make a quick decision. It sounds as though your ex doesn't want any contact, so should be easy to leave. Nothing beats being around your family when you have a baby and as someone whose been away from their family for a long time, it's tough even when you have some money behind you.

I would also hotfoot it back to the UK before the baby arrives and it gets really complicated - e.g. your husband could prevent you leaving Australia with your child.

In terms of benefits I am pretty sure you have to be in the UK for three months and be able to show "habitual residency" and then you can claim things like income support. You have to show that you are "ordinarily resident" to claim benefit and child tax credits. I don't know enough about it to advise any further but this might help: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_the_habitual_residence_test_introduction/what_is_the_habitual_residence_test.htm

I'm so sorry things have not worked out for you, wishing you lots of luck as you move onwards and upwards.

Agree with the getting back to the UK before the baby is born as the father could prevent you from leaving with the baby once born. Go ASAP and be done.

Having somewhere to stay will help lots. I know it's not ideal but please know you don't need masses of things when you have a baby and there are plenty of charity shops, baby and toddler goods sales and also people happy to pass on baby clothes and the like. My son lived in a handful of sleep suits for his first few months and we really needed very little looking back.

You will need to be resident for 3 months to claim anything and won't get maternity but should be able to claim some things then. You would get NHS pre and post natal care.

Better to be where you have support from loved ones that stuck on your own and miserable.

Good luck :)

I agree with the others, get that one way ticket and get back home as soon as possible.

Is there anyone who could support you for the first 3 months? A little bit of food and a place to rest your head.

When you baby is born, he/she will not want for much. A cuddle, some milk and a warm clean change of clothes. Cloth nappies are good and if you are entitled when the baby is born can be gained with a voucher from most local councils. I think I got £65. However, supermarkets own brand nappies now adays are much better. I particularly liked Sainsbury's. Facebook has many groups for local mums where you can explain briefly your situation and ask for any spare items and I am sure you will be inundated with things that people have lying around. I have an old M&P pram for example but odds are you are nowhere near me.

Get on that plane quick smart or you may find yourself trapped in Australia. If you have baby here your husband could stop you leaving. Another thing to consider for some additional help if your mum can't offer much financial help is contacting any womens charities in the area you move too. Just for some help until you can access benefits. Don't be too proud to ask for help no shame in asking for a little help. Good luck personally i wouldn't be hanging around though.

Absolutely - cut and run! You do not want to be in Aus with a baby because an aggrieved ex may choose to exert their spite muscles and keep you there by application through the Family Court. Sadly, it may well be a case of relying on family and friends for the short term but at least you will be free to do what you want thereafter.

Guest Guest98974

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may be entitled to nothing, apart from rent assistance and child benefit when your baby is born. As for job seekers allowance and income support, I had the same issue a year ago. I had been away too long and had not paid any tax in financial year 2010-2011 which determined eligibility for benefits, last year. Even though I had paid tax from Jan 13 until August 13 it counted for nothing. A wife and kid counted for nothing either so if I never found work, we were out on the streets, and this was confirmed at the time by the relevant authorities.

You wouldn't be 'out on the streets' although you may find yourself in hostel or B&B accommodation, depending on where in the UK you are moving back to someone with a baby would be housed quite quickly from hostel type accommodation.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/emergency_accommodation_if_homeless?gclid=CjwKEAjwnNqgBRDdgOitrZPj6yYSJACM86tD4fkV7wTY_kUlv1-rdLGZFxz93MkA5hjbXZDwD2AlqRoCLLvw_wcB

You could well be better off getting emergency accommodation rather than staying with friends/family because you would get priority for social housing. Unless you have friends/family willing to put you up for quite some time.

Buy that ticket TODAY and get the hell out of here ! You have no idea of just how nasty it can get once the child is born in Aus, if the ex decides to get nasty, or even try to stop you leaving. You will be stuck in Aus on your own for the next 18 years ! Trust me I know more about nasty ex's and family court than you would want to hear.

Once you are safe back in the UK then you can make some "discreat" enquires about Child Support from the ex, but be VERY VERY careful it does not open a can of worms, where the ex can demand you return to Aus with "his" child. Personally i would go back and cut ALL ties with Aus, and make finding you "difficult" like using a different name if you use Facebook.

Good Luck

Buy that ticket TODAY and get the hell out of here ! You have no idea of just how nasty it can get once the child is born in Aus, if the ex decides to get nasty, or even try to stop you leaving. You will be stuck in Aus on your own for the next 18 years ! Trust me I know more about nasty ex's and family court than you would want to hear.

Once you are safe back in the UK then you can make some "discreat" enquires about Child Support from the ex, but be VERY VERY careful it does not open a can of worms, where the ex can demand you return to Aus with "his" child. Personally i would go back and cut ALL ties with Aus, and make finding you "difficult" like using a different name if you use Facebook.

Good Luck

if you have the baby in the uk and you are british citizen, your child will be uk citizen first, and oz 2nd by descent? having it there is the best move as i believe that family courts look at where children are habitually resident. you need to have that baby in the UK for legal reasons. i would also quickly establish a residence such as using your mums address in the interim so that you have got proof of abode and the date etc.

you are free of course to access NHS care and rightly so. make sure you do everything possible to establish yourself quickly into UK life and get a bank account up and running again, and i found baby related services there to be quite good. best of luck. it's not ideal but you will get through, and please go soon! x

Hi all

Been away from UK since 2007. Prior to that all life as UK resident and working wise, 15 years in NHS.

Married to Kiwi, planned pregnancy, relationship broken down, living remotely.

Need to return to UK to be around the support of family and friends.

However... I only have small amount of savings, unlikely to be able to get a job whilst heavily pregnant, happy to get back into work once baby old enough.

What might I be eligible for?

Husband is not wanting involvement.

I won't be eligible for Australia maternity either, as became pregnant as soon as started new job and was doing voluntary work before so no centrelink either (I'm Australian citizen).

Its tough... stay here in absolute isolation and work more to get more money...utterly unsupported... or...

return to UK to my mum's place (*she cant afford to support me but will offer lodgings), be around emotional support.. but, I just dont know what I can access or how I will survive.

I want the baby in UK at the local hospital... I am too isolated here.

Any info gratefully received, thanks

Ho. I'm 32 weeks pregnant, and have been back in the uk just over 2 weeks. I'm not entitled to statutory maternity pay, despite only being out of the country 9 months and having worked in the uk for 20+ years!!! You should be able to claim child benefit once baby is born and has a birth certificate, possibly you can get support with rent (housing benefit) if your mum charges for the room. I'd look into income support if I was you, try to get an international number to see if your entitled. Regarding flying, you can fly up until 36 weeks gestation as long as you are fit, although you should get a fit to fly letter from your doctor. Good luck xx

Archived