Pmv to partner visa marriage questions

Chloe Emerson

I was wondering if anyone could answer this, once I'm married I want to change my last name to my husbands name. So when I apply for my partner visa is it ok that my passport will still say my maiden name or will I have to renew it? Also how do you change your name once your married?

If you want to change your name, them change your passport. Otherwise you will have to keep using two names depending what you are doing. You change your name on various things by ringing up and saying I have got married and this is my new name, they will usually want to see marriage certificate.

It is much easier to keep your birth name and use a married name only informally. If you change your name, you will forever find yourself having to supplement your ID with proof of name change to tie the birth and married names together. Then, should you ever want to revert to your former name, you have to provide further proof of name change. You are liable t find you have forgotten to change some things, so you end up having to try to maintain 100pts of ID in both names. Obviously, it is a personal decision but administratively, you will have an easier life to stick with the one name.

As someone who did change my name once married (much preferred my OHs surname and wanted to have the same surname as my kids) I can say it's not that hard at all. It's just like changing your address when you move house except that you need to send your marriage certificate off for proof to some places. Once you have your passport updated (I did mine before getting married) the rest is pretty easy.

It is much easier to keep your birth name and use a married name only informally. If you change your name, you will forever find yourself having to supplement your ID with proof of name change to tie the birth and married names together. Then, should you ever want to revert to your former name, you have to provide further proof of name change. You are liable t find you have forgotten to change some things, so you end up having to try to maintain 100pts of ID in both names. Obviously, it is a personal decision but administratively, you will have an easier life to stick with the one name.

I can't agree with that. If she keeps her maiden name officially, she will constantly have to explain why she has two names and it can also cause problems travelling with children should there be any later on. It really is not that hard to change one's name, in fact I think the trick is to do it swiftly and all at once, rather than gradually.

My wife, fifteen years later, is still in a soup of multiple names. The main one is the mortgage being in a different name to most ID. It causes real headaches. If you only ever have one official name you save yourself hassle.

Travelling with a different name to children has never even raised a question, let alone presented an issue. This is a chimera.

I have been married 5 years and everything was quickly changed in to my married name, passport done before getting married, but was not valid until the date of the wedding. I have never been asked to prove any other id of my maiden name, as my official name is my married name and all id reflect this so there is no confusion.

To the OP, you can apply for your partner visa using your current passport with your maiden name, either you continue to use your current passport until it expires, but every time you travel you must book everything in your maiden name or you apply for new passport with your marriage certificate. If your visa has not been granted when you get your new passport back you need to fill in form 1022, change of circumstances with your new passport details to the CO, or if the partner visa has been granted, fill in form 929 to link visa to new passport.

My wife, fifteen years later, is still in a soup of multiple names. The main one is the mortgage being in a different name to most ID. It causes real headaches. If you only ever have one official name you save yourself hassle.

Travelling with a different name to children has never even raised a question, let alone presented an issue. This is a chimera.

As I said, you need to change everything. Changing some things and not others will cause problems. Women have been changing their name for hundreds of years and the majority of us manage just fine. Your wife is struggling because she has half changed her name.

UK passport holders

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/marriage-and-civil-partnership

Bit here

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/06/changing-your-name-dos-and-donts

You don't need to use a deed poll to register your name change when you get married. Just the passport is fine.

To add to the convo re name changing when married. I specifically didn't want to take my husbands name when we married and kept my own surname. I like it. I don't like his more or enough to want to have it. Wasn't a biggie for either of us and still isn't. I simply notified the places/people that needed to know I had married (eg GP for next of kin) and that was it. I don't get the whole having the same name as my kid thing. It again really isn't an issue for me or hubby. We chose to use both our surnames on the birth certificate when he was born and simply use hubbys one in his day to day life as its easier to spell and say. Official paperwork requires his full name but thats not biggy. He can easily just use one or both once he is older. We are leaving it up to him. He loves having both our surnames but gets why he only uses his Dad's at school and so on.

UK passport holders

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/marriage-and-civil-partnership

Bit here

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/06/changing-your-name-dos-and-donts

You don't need to use a deed poll to register your name change when you get married. Just the passport is fine.

To add to the convo re name changing when married. I specifically didn't want to take my husbands name when we married and kept my own surname. I like it. I don't like his more or enough to want to have it. Wasn't a biggie for either of us and still isn't. I simply notified the places/people that needed to know I had married (eg GP for next of kin) and that was it. I don't get the whole having the same name as my kid thing. It again really isn't an issue for me or hubby. We chose to use both our surnames on the birth certificate when he was born and simply use hubbys one in his day to day life as its easier to spell and say. Official paperwork requires his full name but thats not biggy. He can easily just use one or both once he is older. We are leaving it up to him. He loves having both our surnames but gets why he only uses his Dad's at school and so on.

This is a perfectly reasonable choice I think. But OP wants to change her name and my point is simply that it is easier to change it everywhere rather than change it some places not others. And if you are changing your name, just do it in one swoop.

This is a perfectly reasonable choice I think. But OP wants to change her name and my point is simply that it is easier to change it everywhere rather than change it some places not others. And if you are changing your name, just do it in one swoop.

I quite agree. Just notify everyone and everything, send out the same letter or make a hundred phone calls and be done.

Archived