How do you know when you have 'become' an 'Aussie' (and stopped missing 'Home?')

MARYROSE02

It's strange for me posing this question, because, from the first thing I do in the morning, which is to look at The Daily Mail online, to the last thing at night, checking the UK news on Sky News Overnight, I am immersed in all things Pommie, but I guess the crucial point is that I don't have any desire to go back there, not even for a holiday. In fact, at five and a half years and counting, this is the longest time I've been away from England.

Perhaps it is also unfair for me to talk about it, because it's now nearly thirty six years since I first came to Australia, and I've forgotten how hard it can be for 'New Chums' in the first few months and years, after they arrive. I don't miss English supermarkets, pubs, sausages, curries, sense of humour, because I've been here so long that I've forgotten all about them.

Maybe that is the answer to my question? You know you have 'become' an 'Aussie' when you stop constantly missing English things, and of course comparing Aussie things unfavourably? It's a beautiful spring Sydney day, with my jasmine starting to blossom, and spread its glorious aroma, and I'm going to take a walk down Elizabeth Street to 'Three Williams' cafe, which I onkly just 'discovered.'

Stick it out! Things will usually get better!

A Café, MARYROSE02,? :notworthy:keep up the good work:yes:. The wife occasionally gets the international express and some English food from the supermarket (bisto gravey and Sage/onion stuffing), but other than that its just family gossip from the UK. We do try to get back every 12-18 months, so we can get any 'fix' for English stuff then, including pubs and beer of course.

Im in here now reading The Australian. Playing some great music, Beatles, Creedence, Norman Greenbaun, Four Tops, Stealers Wheel. Two of the waitresses are American, from Florida and Texas. I just told one of them it is sad anniversary today.

I would prefer a licensed cafe though i am not at the stage of drinking BEFORE work yet! I was in the Intercontinental Hotel on Sunday arvo, wonderful place where you can (& I did) combine coffee with a glass of wine.

The Turtles "Happy Together" and now Jackson Five "ABC.!"

I agree about the English person in Australia, I am not and will never really be 'an Australian' but guess it depends on your definition of Australian, Australia, particularly where we live is a place where many nationalities and immigrants have formed a huge part of the population...to say we are NOT Australian is to take away from the emerging themes in population shifts. Australia is changing, rapidly, so too then is what constitutes an 'Australian'.....

I think there's too much emphasis and preoccupation with being 'Aussie' fitting in and all that rubbish....you either like living here and choose to stay or you don't...it matters very little in the grand scheme if you buy Paxo and Mushy Peas once in a while, listen to British radio and hanker after a decent sausage/curry. It doesn't make you less committed to your adopted country or less Australian or more likely to 'fail'..go back etc....it is possible to have 2 homes, hell...even 3,4 or more...home is where the heart is and mine is in 2 places.

You don't need to choose. You don't need to place yourself in a box for others satisfaction.

I agree about the English person in Australia, I am not and will never really be 'an Australian' but guess it depends on your definition of Australian, Australia, particularly where we live is a place where many nationalities and immigrants have formed a huge part of the population...to say we are NOT Australian is to take away from the emerging themes in population shifts. Australia is changing, rapidly, so too then is what constitutes an 'Australian'.....

I think there's too much emphasis and preoccupation with being 'Aussie' fitting in and all that rubbish....you either like living here and choose to stay or you don't...it matters very little in the grand scheme if you buy Paxo and Mushy Peas once in a while, listen to British radio and hanker after a decent sausage/curry. It doesn't make you less committed to your adopted country or less Australian or more likely to 'fail'..go back etc....it is possible to have 2 homes, hell...even 3,4 or more...home is where the heart is and mine is in 2 places.

You don't need to choose. You don't need to place yourself in a box for others satisfaction.

Beautifully said Fi

Probably when abroad more than in Australia as you ask. Also doesn't mean stopping reading international press or maintaining interest and contacts with abroad. There is the legal definition becoming a citizen or the real measurement, the emotional connection which binds one regardless of place/country of residence or language spoken. All about connecting. Of course one can be feeling Aussie in certain respects, but Pommie or French or Chinese in other respects. In other words I can feel almost perfectly at home in France without being French and suffer no disadvantage feeling that.

When you look forward to sitting in front of the telly with a slab of beer to watch the big AFL game.

When I first came here, I loathed the NRL, but now I look forward to each season, and the same with the AFL. Finding a local team to go for is an excellent way to stsrt to get into the Aussie way of life. Of course, finding a pub where yr UK team meets is also a great way to build a social life.

Nothing but a state of mind feeling something. I can watch Gridiron on TV but have no feelings of coming over American. I can feel more inclined towards being a Londoner on a specific day, even after decades since lived there, or a tinge of French on another as on the rare occasion of having a visitor from there and speak the language together. Others assume we are. Other times not particularly consciously Australian until as mentioned abroad.

Probably comes due to the decades in London, without being a native Londoner, in late teens and on, a city where everybody seemed to come from elsewhere and diversity ruled.

you'll know when you refer to Australia as 'home' and the UK as the 'UK'.

See, I think 'home' is more a state of mind. We all view it differently. I have called Aus home since the day we landed. Its where we live, its where my family is (as in hubby and son) and its home. The UK was home when we lived there. However, as time goes on wherever we live in whichevr country 'home' to me is more my home, the house we live in, the life we build for ourselves. Australia is the country that we have that home in.

:)

See, I think 'home' is more a state of mind. We all view it differently. I have called Aus home since the day we landed. Its where we live, its where my family is (as in hubby and son) and its home. The UK was home when we lived there. However, as time goes on wherever we live in whichevr country 'home' to me is more my home, the house we live in, the life we build for ourselves. Australia is the country that we have that home in. :)

Totally nailed it - home is a state of mind.

Footy, Telly, beer" is something both Pommies and Aussies relate to equally, judging by the popularity of Sky in pubs and clubs in both countries, and the way that games are strung out over the weekends in both countries. When i watch Spurs the pub is full of both Pom and Oz fans, equally passionate,equally drunk.

Footy, Telly, beer" is something both Pommies and Aussies relate to equally, judging by the popularity of Sky in pubs and clubs in both countries, and the way that games are strung out over the weekends in both countries. When i watch Spurs the pub is full of both Pom and Oz fans, equally passionate,equally drunk.

It is but when you think about pretty much international at least in the western sense. And very much among the male segment of the populations.

It is but when you think about pretty much international at least in the western sense. And very much among the male segment of the populations.

Except for Melbourne where every woman follows a footie team! Melbourne women are the only ones in the world who I ask "which team do u go for?'

Archived