Funnel Web Spiders in the garden/house

CaptainR

I'm away at work and my wife has just sent my photos of several funnel web spiders in the garden and now one inside the house. She is a little worried about our children aged 7 and 4 getting bitten and is wondering whether to get pest control in. Any recommendations. She is worried about the kids playing in the garden now.

I'm away at work and my wife has just sent my photos of several funnel web spiders in the garden and now one inside the house. She is a little worried about our children aged 7 and 4 getting bitten and is wondering whether to get pest control in. Any recommendations. She is worried about the kids playing in the garden now.

A little worried! I'd be frantic. There haven't been any fatalities from funnel web bites for years, but that's not because they're not dangerous - the bite can be fatal if not treated.

The female spider tends to stay put, it's the male that wanders into houses and he's far more venomous, so the one in the house needs to be killed!

I think it would be worth getting pest control in to remove the existing spiders, but it sounds like you're in a funnel web area, so new ones will soon move in. The only permanent solution is to remove potential habitats and learn how to stay safe.

Here are some good tips from pestforce.com.au

1. Ensure that all gaps under your doors are sealed tightly with weather-strips.

2. Keep the yard tidy as the more things you have on the ground, the more spider harbourage you are providing.

3. Never leave boots, shoes etc. outside over night.

4. Never leave children's'toys outside overnight.

5. Check sand pits before allowing children to enter them, especially if they have a cover, because the cover provides an ideal habitat for the males to hide under.

6. Never leave a washing basket on the ground outside, as it is a common scenario for a spider to climb inside before the basket is carried back into the house.

7. If you have a pool, check it before swimming. A pool is like a large pit trap that catches all kinds of things, including spiders. (Snakes have also been found in pools).

8. Never leave towels or clothing on the ground around your pool.

9. Reduce the spider habitat around your house. Leaf litter and rockeries are attractive; however if you don't want spiders, reduce them. Funnelweb spiders like damp South facing slopes, so be especially aware if you have moist conditions.

10. Be especially alert for spider activity after periods of rain.

11. Educate your children to be 'spider aware'.

12. Protect yourself when gardening, wearing gloves and decent boots, and keep your eyes open.

I'm not doubting you and I'd be terrified, so no use inviting me to stay now! But, are you sure they are funnel webs? Huntsmen spiders look equally fearsome but are (almost?) harmless.

Definitely, I am actually away at work, but my wife took photos of them and we spent some time studying the photos with Aussie work colleagues and comparing to photos online, everyone who looks at the photos has no doubt that it's a funnel web. Pest control coming on Friday, $300 to do the house and hot spots in the garden. Frustratingly the rental house we have has lots of bushes and rockery, would much rather have just straight grass like 90% of the other houses nearby.

Like trading in your Maserati for a Golf because you can't drive a manual?

I'd rather drive around in a golf than be stuck in traffic in a Maserati :wink:

Definitely, I am actually away at work, but my wife took photos of them and we spent some time studying the photos with Aussie work colleagues and comparing to photos online, everyone who looks at the photos has no doubt that it's a funnel web. Pest control coming on Friday, $300 to do the house and hot spots in the garden. Frustratingly the rental house we have has lots of bushes and rockery, would much rather have just straight grass like 90% of the other houses nearby.

Good work CaptainR - can't put a price on your families safety and peace of mind, and education is key. I did a First Aid course shortly after arriving just in case .....We had our house sprayed when we came across a series of Whitetails, Redbacks, and Huntsmans - (we had a flaming Brown Snake that lived in the WALL that seperated our house from our neighbours) and a pair of really nasty aggressive Magpies that never f****d off. It was like running through an obstacle course with burning rings and knives been thrown at you as you climbed from your car to the front door! All of this meant I never really enjoyed our garden or space outside, funnily enough. But I felt better seeing dead bugs OUTSIDE the house after the spray man came.

Now I only have to put up with Seagulls and woodlice !

We live in Leonay, at the base of the blue mountains so that might be an indicator. But, my wife spoke to some other parents who seem equally surprised as the posters here , because they have lived in the area their whole life and not had a problem.

I know one person who has been bitten by a funnel web, and he was living in the Blue Mountains at the time.

Archived