How good is 115k + Super salary for Sydney?

indianium

Hello friends,

I've been offered a job in Sydney (Senior Java programmer) and I'm planning to move to Sydney in a couple of months. The salary offered is roughly:

Fixed: 115k

Super: 9k

Bonus: 9k

My wife and mother will be accompanying me and won't be taking up a job. The company is located in Sydney CBD and I'm planning to live in north Sydney (Chatswood or surrounding suburbs). Do you guys feel this salary is enough for us to be able to live comfortably?

Also, with an experience of 9 years in programming, do you think this is a decent offer?

Thanks

Yes it is a very good salary BUT realise that in Sydney it is very rare for your partner not to work if you have no children...both salaries are needed to live a good life and when you have children then you tend to downsize or move further out to be more affordable. If you are supporting both your wife and mother....then you cannot expect to live a good life..,you need to be on more like 200k which is CEO territory.

Senior Developer salary range is about $100k - $140k. (up from $95k - $130k last year).

So you are at the low end, but as a newbie, that's understandable.

It's not a huge amount to live on, especially with three people. Almost $6900 a month after tax.

It's a good salary compared to many but you are heading to one of the most expensive cities in the world. I have been on a similar salary on and off since we got here (Brisbane) with my hubby adding $80K as a teacher. We rent a nice house but far from rich (two expensive teenagers, one with very expensive healthcare needs). We don't go without. Have gym membership, foxtel and a (basic) car each. Eat out every couple of weeks. Very few holidays but it is super expensive to travel while you are here.

We have sometimes had to survive on hubby's salary alone which was a huge struggle. You won't be living the Ozzie dream (sea views etc..), but you will get by and many get by on far less by cutting their cloth. If you're currently living the high life, I'd be hoping for a bigger salary to match your current lifestyle.

Archived