Why Britain?

starlight7

With all the refugees pouring into Europe I was wondering exactly why so many seek to live in the UK? Is there more employment there or what? Why don't they go to France or Germany or Italy? Is there more red tape for these countries? Is the cost of living higher? Is the standard of housing better? Or do they just like cold miserable weather?

With all the refugees pouring into Europe I was wondering exactly why so many seek to live in the UK? Is there more employment there or what? Why don't they go to France or Germany or Italy? Is there more red tape for these countries? Is the cost of living higher? Is the standard of housing better? Or do they just like cold miserable weather?

Here you will get a nice house ( for free) , a car, Weekly wage courtesy of the tax payer ( and you may work for cash on the side as well), free health care, free education ( if you want it).....you get treated like royalty if your unemployed or a migrant here , even if your an illegal!!

My Neighbour has never worked in the last 7 years, claiming every benefit possible, they have a large 5 bedroom house in a very sort after area, 2 cars ( only one drives) 3 week holiday abroad every year...yada yada ......you get the point!

UK is the promised land for most!

Is that really true? Really? The taxes must be very, very high. Shouldn't you have internment camps on the Isle of Man or something? Or maybe one of the Scottish islands? With guards.

Totally, the benefit system here is massively flawed, most are better off not working and claiming....For example , your partner is claiming incapacity benefits and you can register as their carer, and the government give you more more money!... you can also register as your child's carer and claim more!!! Now I'm sure there are people who deserve the benefits, but the sad truth is alot of people know how to cheat the system. My sister in-law was claiming incapacity benefits , and registered her partner as the carer , we worked out that she was getting over £35,000 per year in benefits ( with housing etc).

Totally, the benefit system here is massively flawed, most are better off not working and claiming....For example , your partner is claiming incapacity benefits and you can register as their carer, and the government give you more more money!... you can also register as your child's carer and claim more!!! Now I'm sure there are people who deserve the benefits, but the sad truth is alot of people know how to cheat the system. My sister in-law was claiming incapacity benefits , and registered her partner as the carer , we worked out that she was getting over £35,000 per year in benefits ( with housing etc).

That's exactly what my step brother did. Worked as a truck driver and has an epileptic wife who apparently can't work and 2 severely asthmatic children. He get's more money in benefits not working saying he is their carer than he did actually working. Sure the cigarettes he spends his benefit money on really help my asthmatic nieces!!

First off many speak some English as their 2nd language or, at least, theywant to. UK is I feel less protectionist than other European countries and there are more employers probably willing to take on a foreign worker. The UK has a mystique too, maybe focussed too much on London but don't underestimate the influence of popular music over the decades or the Premier League. Germany and the northern parts of Italy and France (where there is more work) have colder winters than the UK and many of the European migrants come from countries which are colder in winter too so weather is not a negative factor.

I sense that UK appears to offer greater opportunities if you are willing to work hard. I really don't think that the benefit system influences as many as some would seem to think. Too much reading the Daily Mail etc.

Here you will get a nice house ( for free) , a car, Weekly wage courtesy of the tax payer ( and you may work for cash on the side as well), free health care, free education ( if you want it).....you get treated like royalty if your unemployed or a migrant here , even if your an illegal!!

My Neighbour has never worked in the last 7 years, claiming every benefit possible, they have a large 5 bedroom house in a very sort after area, 2 cars ( only one drives) 3 week holiday abroad every year...yada yada ......you get the point!

are you talking about a UK citizen or an asylum seeker?

Its available to anyone who wants to cheat the system! The UK does not vet Migrants, most migrants are single and unskilled...searching for a better life no doubt and why not pick a county who will welcome you and give you everything for free. Like the benefits system, the migration system here is also flawed! Both put a huge strain on the Uk economy

"There are major data gaps related to this topic in the UK and, as such, Gott and Johnston (2002) pointed out that they could only provide tentative results. Their study concluded that the overall contribution of migrants was positive, but that the impact varies with the characteristics of migrants. The estimates suggest that for the fiscal year 1999-2000 migrants in the UK contributed GBP 31.2 billion in taxes and used benefits and state services valued at GBP 28.8 billion. Therefore, the net fiscal contribution of migrants was approximately GBP + 2.5 billion.

A report by the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), presented an updated version of the Home Office analysis (Sriskandarajah et al. 2005). Its main contribution was to extend the estimation to cover five years of data. The IPPR analysis suggests that real revenues from migrants grew by 22% from fiscal year 1999-2000 to fiscal year 2003-2004 (reaching GBP 41.2 billion). However, the expenditure associated with immigrants reached GBP 41.6 billion in the fiscal year 2003-2004. Therefore, the net contribution of immigrants in the fiscal year 2003-2004 was negative at GBP -0.4 billion."

Gbye grey sky - i never read the daily fail!

Full Study here, its very good and shows the fiscal impact of migration for all European countries, in fact the UK is better off than the likes of Germany and France

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/fiscal-impact-immigration-uk

Wellers and Whitehead....anyone!

I believe that the remit may be a little narrow though. Those low paid unskilled migrants may contribute little fiscally by way of taxes but they carry out a lot of work that British workers are not willing to do. In areas such as hospitality in London for example many hotels and restaurants rely on such workers and these businesses generate profit for UK Plc in foreign tourism as just one example.

many moons ago I was a benefits appeals officer, we did try!! I do remember an 18 year old single mother whom we actually visited as part of the appeal process, she had a Baum and Olaffson surround sound set up in her main lounge, she was appealing for 2 weeks benefit prior to moving in on the grounds of essential renovations to the house for her kids, she won, despite my strong case, I also remember an epileptic mum received disability living allowance on the grounds that she required at least 35 hours of constant care a week throughout the night and day, she had about 6 kids, 3 of which received disability living allowance because they had ADHD and needed constant care for 35 hours a week and she, the mother, receiving care, also claimed Invalid Care Allowance, because SHe was providing care for more than 35 hours day and night for her kids receiving DLA, so in essence, whist she needed constant care, she was able to claim money for providing constant care!! She was a 'lone' parent, we naturally investigated it, the investigator was sat on her sofa as the kids came home from school, the eldest kid ran in, threw her bag on the sofa and said 'MOM, where's Dad, when will he get home?' She looked ant the investigator and said, 'daft thing, I just can't get her to understand her Dad left years ago' she won her case, she retained her approx $50k a year in benefits due to all the 'disabilities', investigated to the hilt but living together cases are just about impossible to prove, it's a joke really.

I believe that the remit may be a little narrow though. Those low paid unskilled migrants may contribute little fiscally by way of taxes but they carry out a lot of work that British workers are not willing to do. In areas such as hospitality in London for example many hotels and restaurants rely on such workers and these businesses generate profit for UK Plc in foreign tourism as just one example.

That's a load of tosh, I've heard this before that migrants are more willing to carry out work that That British workers aren't prepared to do.....the fact is migrants will get pad a hell of a lot less to do an unskilled job that a British would be prepared to accept! which is a separate issue.

Ok or if you are going to be pedantic. .A refugee is somebody that has right to reside in a country after they have been assessed. Prior to been assessed that person was an asylum seeker. Original poster wrote about refugees.

Ok Sorry, quite right i lost track of the original post.

That's a load of tosh, I've heard this before that migrants are more willing to carry out work that That British workers aren't prepared to do.....the fact is migrants will get pad a hell of a lot less to do an unskilled job that a British would be prepared to accept! which is a separate issue.

You have heard it before because it is true. It is not just the lower pay but also long and unsociable hours. The fact is that however poor the pay or conditions may be they are better than what the immigrant has left behind. British citizens can be more choosy as they have the benefits system to fall back on. They are not separate issues and are rarely factored in by those peddling anti-immigration arguments.

You have heard it before because it is true. It is not just the lower pay but also long and unsociable hours. The fact is that however poor the pay or conditions may be they are better than what the immigrant has left behind. British citizens can be more choosy as they have the benefits system to fall back on. They are not separate issues and are rarely factored in by those peddling anti-immigration arguments.

Same thing happened to my OH when he overstayed his visa by a year doing all the **** jobs no aussie would. He told authorities that at the time and got off with it.

Archived