HOW did Tony Abott get elected??!  

27 members have voted

1. 1. HOW did Tony Abott get elected??!

• Because the ALP LOST
    • Because he is a great guy!
    • The boats had to be stopped
    • Australians, apathetic by default, are forced to vote
    • I'm buggered if I know!!?
    • It doesn't matter, he be booted out in 2016 (or sooner)

Honestly, you are so ready to leap down anyone's throat that dares even mention anything about your dear leader you are starting to look hilarious!

You beat me to it Diane!

After reading the thread I was beginning to wonder if he was actually Tony Abbott under a pseudonym ?!?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

X marks the spot I thought. You know, go into a booth, all those boxes to check, X in some of them so they look pretty going down the page. I like to go across the page diagonally myself.

Edited by Guest
stupid formatting grrrr

He got elected, as the party he leads got more votes and won more seats. Pretty simple stuff.

How they got voted in was two fold.

Labor was awful, meaning you'd have to be an idiot or on the dole to vote for them (which 49% of Aussies aparently are).

Liberals said they would do some pretty major things :-

Boats (almost) stopped, allowing the detention centres to be scaled back.

Carbon tax scrapped, giving people some money and allowing businesses to be more profitable.

Sorting the economy, which they are finding hard to push some things through.

In WA they are investing in infrastructure (instead of giving it to the feckless) and putting money into long term projects.

Yeah, Tony is a bit of a knob, but he seems to be sticking to his goals, and working hard for Australia and Australians for the future.

I don't know about Parley, but I'm just biding my time until Clive Palmer becomes even more popular!

Haha I don't like the man, but got to admit he's great entertainment and I admire his ability to speak his mind without thinking about the consequences.

I was thinking, if we have to have a raving mad conservative in charge, why can't we have Boris Johnson? Now there's a character I'd be happy to have leading "Team Australia"!!!

I don't believe in lightning striking twice in the same place parley.

I also don't believe the average man on the street will ever forgive Abott/Hockey for the budget

What about 'the average woman?' After all, aren't they even more budget-savvy than 'the average bloke?'

Your second favourite newspaper - 'The Australian' said that the budget was TOO soft! Is it really true about our level of debt following the debacle of the Rudd/Gillard/Swan years?

Now that Tony and Co have been the adults in charge for nearly a year, do you think they might stop blaming their predecessors for everything that they think is wrong in this country? Perhaps someone has a graph showing expenditure before they were in and expenditure since? Has the 'budget deficit' got worse, or got better?

Haha I don't like the man, but got to admit he's great entertainment and I admire his ability to speak his mind without thinking about the consequences.

I was thinking, if we have to have a raving mad conservative in charge, why can't we have Boris Johnson? Now there's a character I'd be happy to have leading "Team Australia"!!!

I've had it up to here with being led by people who went to Eton. I'm holding out for old Harrovians in future. After all, we did OK with Winston!

I've had it up to here with being led by people who went to Eton. I'm holding out for old Harrovians in future. After all, we did OK with Winston!

I've worked with both, and they're much of a muchness tbh! What's this about you being led by them though, thought you were led by an old Rhodes scholar?

It was just his turn. When a party has been in for a bit the general public just gets sick of them and votes for the other lot. Same in the UK too. Labor didn't do themselves any favours either, too much infighting and not enough time spent sorting issues out.

Just the same in the UK, when Labour were in there for a long period there wasn't a good thing said and written about them for ages, they lost the election, the conservatives got in and now people have forgotten and want Labour back. Looks like they will be a certainty at the next election.

No wonder governments don't think any further than about 4 years into the future. It's not going to help them one bit if they plan for the next 10 years.

This was Tony's alleged crime against women (at Sydney University.)

Following his time in Britain, he returned to Australia and advised his family of an intention to join the priesthood. During his university days, Abbott gained media attention for his political stance opposing the then dominant left-wing student leadership. On one occasion he was even beaten up at a university conference.[26] A student newspaper editor with political views opposed to those of Abbott took him to court for indecent assault after he touched her during a student debate; these charges were dismissed by the court.[27] According to the Sun-Herald newspaper, it was "an ugly and often violent time", and Abbott's tactics in student politics were like "an aggressive terrier".[28] Abbott organised rallies in support of Governor-General John Kerr after he dismissed the Whitlam Government in November 1975, as well as a pro-Falklands War demonstration during his period at Oxford.[

This was Tony's alleged crime against women (at Sydney University.)

Following his time in Britain, he returned to Australia and advised his family of an intention to join the priesthood. During his university days, Abbott gained media attention for his political stance opposing the then dominant left-wing student leadership. On one occasion he was even beaten up at a university conference.[26] A student newspaper editor with political views opposed to those of Abbott took him to court for indecent assault after he touched her during a student debate; these charges were dismissed by the court.[27] According to the Sun-Herald newspaper, it was "an ugly and often violent time", and Abbott's tactics in student politics were like "an aggressive terrier".[28] Abbott organised rallies in support of Governor-General John Kerr after he dismissed the Whitlam Government in November 1975, as well as a pro-Falklands War demonstration during his period at Oxford.[

sorry, are you trying to make Abott appear more reasonable?

Cos I'm reading the above and arriving at quite the opposite conclusion

Ok I'll take a leaf out of Palmers book and apologise if anything I posted caused offence. In my justification I was just querying something I'd read on a few FB sites and wondering if it was true or not, not saying it was true, but the last thing I'd want is to get the site and its owners into any trouble so I have deleted the offending remark.

She has deleted it to her credit (not apologised though)

Is it you I should be apologising to Parley, because unless you ARE Tony Abbott in disguise, then I'm not sure how you have been hurt by it?

Edited by Diane

The voting system needs to be FIXED.

Voting in Pencil is insane

People dont need to show ID to vote so can vote as many times as possible

Lost votes - how does that happen ?

That is so so true - the system as it is is so open to abuse by anyone who wanted to do so. I said at the time I could easily have voted in several places, under a false name, and even if found out, the false votes would never have been identified. I didn't, by the way, as life is just too short!!

Very strange system - even African countries with no technology seem to do it better with indelible ink marks on fingers.

I agree.

I also think that compulsory voting is a bad thing: IMO it encourages a 'pin the tail on the donkey' approach to voting, too many people with little or no idea of what they're voting for are having a say in who runs the country.

The voting system needs to be FIXED.

Voting in Pencil is insane

People dont need to show ID to vote so can vote as many times as possible

Lost votes - how does that happen ?

I voted for the 'ALP lost it' option because there was so much infighting in that party that I think a lot of people thought ANYTHING would have to be better. Or they were taken in by the multitude of promises made by the Coalition before the election.

I think Labor are only just now beginning to sort of get their act together - there hasn't been any talk of internal fighting that I have heard - so perhaps they learnt their lesson. On the other hand, I think this whole 'keep your heads down, don't attract attention' thing hasn't done Labor any favors: Tony Abbott has been giving them so many opportunities, and they are just not holding him to task as they should. That's why Palmer and Hansen Young have had such prominence and influence. Some of the shadow ministers are starting to make inroads now - such as the shadow minister this morning talking about the latest NBN report which is so obviously anything but independently researched - but Shorten seems a little scared to do anything: perhaps he is rightly concerned that he will come over as an aggressive and negative opposition which is what Tony Abbott did when he was in that position, and put people off. He needs to be seen as the sane one when the lunatics have taken over the asylum.