British passport for Child born in Oz

Sugarcane

Hi all,

Can you kindly guide on the process of getting British passport in Australia for a baby born in Australia. We've only filed for birth registration today. It might take 6-8 weeks before we get the birth certificate in hand. We only have an application reference number yet. Do we need the birth certificate before we apply for the passport?

Thanks in advance

Bal

I pasted the same page as above I guess. (My nephew has gone to UK, with his new British passport, acquired as his Dad is British.)

[h=1]Tell us what you think of GOV.UK[/h]No thanks

Take the 3 minute survey This will open a short survey on another website

[h=1]Overseas British passport applications[/h]

Get the forms, prices and application details you need if you’re a British national and you want to renew or apply for a British passport from overseas.

If you can’t wait for a new passport, you can get details on how to apply for a 12-month extension to your British passport, or Emergency Travel Documents for children who need to travel urgently.

Start now

Is there anything wrong with this page?[h=2]Help us improve GOV.UK[/h]

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.

What you were doingWhat went wrongSend

Last updated: 5 August 2014

Yes you will require birth certificate for the child to apply for passport also will need birth certificate of the British citizen parent. You can apply online then print out the form.

With mentioned delay in passports after applying, does anyone know how long is it taking?

So we need to wait for the proper birth certificate to arrive? That's a long wait even before applying. With mentioned delay in passports after applying, does anyone know how long is it taking?

Not really sure what you mean by proper birth certificate. But yes you require a birth certificate to apply for a passport. Registering a child's birth in the UK you get the birth certificate straight away from the registrar, can't tell you the process from Australia.

As for UK passport office? I recently got my daughters first passport applying from UK, but it would have arrived too late for our holiday. So after phoning the passport office everyday for a week I eventually got it fast tracked after paying another £60. Prob looking at least 8 wks from Australia.

Do you mean that you have registered the child's birth with the UK High Commission and that that certificate will take 6-8 weeks to be issued?

The birth certificate that you need for the passport application is the child's Australian birth certificate and I've never heard of a 6-8 week delay in getting one - you usually get them immediately. You can apply for a British passport for an overseas born child without ever registering the birth with UK authorities. As with all British passport applications, you need evidence that at least one of the child's parents is a British citizen 'otherwise than by descent'.

Not really sure what you mean by proper birth certificate. But yes you require a birth certificate to apply for a passport. Registering a child's birth in the UK you get the birth certificate straight away from the registrar, can't tell you the process from Australia.

As for UK passport office? I recently got my daughters first passport applying from UK, but it would have arrived too late for our holiday. So after phoning the passport office everyday for a week I eventually got it fast tracked after paying another £60. Prob looking at least 8 wks from Australia.

Not sure about in aus, but in the UK there are two types of birth certificate.

its the full birth certificate that you require to get the passport. (It contains more information).

Do you mean that you have registered the child's birth with the UK High Commission and that that certificate will take 6-8 weeks to be issued?

The birth certificate that you need for the passport application is the child's Australian birth certificate and I've never heard of a 6-8 week delay in getting one - you usually get them immediately. You can apply for a British passport for an overseas born child without ever registering the birth with UK authorities. As with all British passport applications, you need evidence that at least one of the child's parents is a British citizen 'otherwise than by descent'.

I think khalliballi meant application reference number OR a full birth cert will be needed. E.g. I've the reference number right now but the birth cert will take 6-8 weeks to arrive. My daughter was born in UK and getting her birth cert was a doddle. I'm not sure why they have to make every paper work so complicated here. Anyway have to sit and wait now.

Making the assumption that this child has UK born parents and is, therefore, entitled to citizenship. Form C2 - download then submit with documents

We are both not UK born but we are British citizens by naturalisation. So we do not have British birth certificates. Are you aware if that changes the process?

Archived