Australia's detention regime sets out to make asylum seekers suffer

akiralx

What a basic, ill informed assumption. The British never left did they? They became Australian. I don't recall a white withdrawal from any of the Old Commonwealth countries mentioned. Australia was not handed back to the First People, nor Canada nor NZ.

And you compare those countries to Africa amazing.[/quote

The British never left, that is quite right, which means their economies never went down the tube. If only Robert Mugabe had not been so incompetent, as well mad and bad, then Zimbabwe would still be right up there feeding its neighbours, as well as itself.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well hardly if Australia is so unwilling to train ever in the most basic trades.

And yes Iranians as many others find it long and odious to gain entry through the skill program. I know some that came via UK which was easier with UK professional experience and before that in USA. And yes many of the Iranians that came by boat were middle class and well schooled in professions. (others students, but few uneducated)

I don't actually mind most Iranians coming to Australia, especially if they are from the Shah's time, as they are usually well educated, and free from bigotry.

Something along class lines as well. But saying that although the issue would polarise other countries, those anti humanitarians and/or straight out racists would not be pampered to in quite the same way our 'statesmen' in this country handle the matter. The intellectual argument would be clearer articulated and more would demand action to end the suffering. I refer to west European countries obviously.

Yep, I cannot imagine this $hit being tolerated in the UK.

As racist as many Brits are, the politicians are at least kept honest thanks to a (relatively) healthy and rigorous mainstream media, with obvious exceptions.

The ABC's toothless 7.30 and the politically stacked Insiders compared to the BBC's Newsnight and the Today program are prime examples

Something along class lines as well. But saying that although the issue would polarise other countries, those anti humanitarians and/or straight out racists would not be pampered to in quite the same way our 'statesmen' in this country handle the matter. The intellectual argument would be clearer articulated and more would demand action to end the suffering. I refer to west European countries obviously.

I suppose you and upper class Harpo have the edge over the rest of us then flag?:laugh: I'm sure you'd fit in a lot better in those "Western European countries" you refer to.

I watched Borgen last night and though we feel a long way away from Europe it's surprising that one of the big issues on that show is Muslims, immigration and finding the right candidate for integration minister for the new party. They picked a sharp Pakistani lady, thinking she would be perfect, then had to change her at the last minute because she had to extreme views on immigration and some of her own relations in Pakistan. Bit of an eye opener that program, to see that the same issues that are bothering Aus are just as important, if not more so in Europe.

Yep, I cannot imagine this $hit being tolerated in the UK.

As racist as many Brits are, the politicians are at least kept honest thanks to a (relatively) healthy and rigorous mainstream media, with obvious exceptions.

The ABC's toothless 7.30 and the politically stacked Insiders compared to the BBC's Newsnight and the Today program are prime examples

So how have you come to the conclusion that many Brits are racist. And based on what?

Well hardly if Australia is so unwilling to train ever in the most basic trades.

And yes Iranians as many others find it long and odious to gain entry through the skill program. I know some that came via UK which was easier with UK professional experience and before that in USA. And yes many of the Iranians that came by boat were middle class and well schooled in professions. (others students, but few uneducated)

I've said before Flag if you want a trade, instead of having just the option to go to Uni, then Aus is the place to be. Most of my sons friends are apprentice trained electricians, plumbers, car mechanics, riggers (not really apprentice trained but the guys have done the course), bike mechanics. Don't know where you get the idea that Aus is so unwilling to train? How many posts have you seen on here where you get tradies whinging because they have to do a course or two for their trade to be recongnised. No lack of training establishments if you want to change jobs either.

One of my friends sons has left the bank and gone to work driving trucks on FIFO as they are newly married with a baby and new house. They have an investment property too which to me is just greed and they could get rid of that and him not have to work FIFO, but their choice I guess. At least they have the choice though.

I've said before Flag if you want a trade, instead of having just the option to go to Uni, then Aus is the place to be. Most of my sons friends are apprentice trained electricians, plumbers, car mechanics, riggers (not really apprentice trained but the guys have done the course), bike mechanics. Don't know where you get the idea that Aus is so unwilling to train? How many posts have you seen on here where you get tradies whinging because they have to do a course or two for their trade to be recongnised. No lack of training establishments if you want to change jobs either.

One of my friends sons has left the bank and gone to work driving trucks on FIFO as they are newly married with a baby and new house. They have an investment property too which to me is just greed and they could get rid of that and him not have to work FIFO, but their choice I guess. At least they have the choice though.

Your right of course this country not being one for academics, as I've stated before. It would appear to be increasingly not one for tradies either. I mean ones trained here not imported. Your kids got in I guess before the rot started.

Perhaps an investment property purchased this late in the cycle will come back to haunt them. 20% youth unemployment doesn't really need much explaining and clear that something is badly wrong.

So how have you come to the conclusion that many Brits are racist. And based on what?

All too many are I'm afraid. Evidence in the pudding. Many escaped the 'çolouring' of Britain after the war. Recall loads of older folk even still in the 90's going on about it. The ten pound scheme did few favours to this country gene wise.And all too many of the more recent migrants hover in Pom inclined outer suburbs and complain about asylum seekers/and/or immigrants from other lands.

All too many are I'm afraid. Evidence in the pudding. Many escaped the 'çolouring' of Britain after the war. Recall loads of older folk even still in the 90's going on about it. The ten pound scheme did few favours to this country gene wise.And all too many of the more recent migrants hover in Pom inclined outer suburbs and complain about asylum seekers/and/or immigrants from other lands.

I assume by his post that he was talking about Brits in Britain?

All too arrogant and patronising, more like it. These 'older folk' are the ones who remember Britain and Australia before the Second World War, when their countries, rightly or wrongly, WERE largely white.

I can remember an old lady in my block of units, looking around her in bewilderment. 'Where did all these people come from?' My father and mother would have felt exactly the same, and many of them felt short-changed after the War.

I'm not condoning the way they felt, but nor am I am condemning it, especially when you look at countries like Japan, which have never changed their 'make-up.'

It's different for people of my generation who have grown up with multi-cultural societies.

All too arrogant and patronising, more like it. These 'older folk' are the ones who remember Britain and Australia before the Second World War, when their countries, rightly or wrongly, WERE largely white.

I can remember an old lady in my block of units, looking around her in bewilderment. 'Where did all these people come from?' My father and mother would have felt exactly the same, and many of them felt short-changed after the War.

I'm not condoning the way they felt, but nor am I am condemning it, especially when you look at countries like Japan, which have never changed their 'make-up.'

It's different for people of my generation who have grown up with multi-cultural societies.

Regardless it is how it is. By the way I was not referring to 90 year old folk, but the decade being the 90's of course. Anyway a number your age and even younger by virtue of being British are not necessary exposed to a multi racial/ethnic society. As such a shock for some just how changed Australia has become. As not clearly exposed by Aussie exposes in UK.

Thankfully the many years lived in London made me appreciate the mix to the extent couldn't or wanted want to live in a mono cultural again.

Regardless it is how it is. By the way I was not referring to 90 year old folk, but the decade being the 90's of course. Anyway a number your age and even younger by virtue of being British are not necessary exposed to a multi racial/ethnic society. As such a shock for some just how changed Australia has become. As not clearly exposed by Aussie exposes in UK.

Thankfully the many years lived in London made me appreciate the mix to the extent couldn't or wanted want to live in a mono cultural again.

I like living in a multi-cultural society too, but that does not mean that mono-cultural is wrong. And of course, there are degrees of multi-cultural, For me, the ideal multi-cultural society is one where everybody 'plays' by the same rules, and that means accepting the rules of the host country.

I like living in a multi-cultural society too, but that does not mean that mono-cultural is wrong. And of course, there are degrees of multi-cultural, For me, the ideal multi-cultural society is one where everybody 'plays' by the same rules, and that means accepting the rules of the host country.

You want the same rules applying to all get rid of the present government and don't put ALP in its place. The policy of a Big Australia at any costs needs to cease. The rorts ended. A reduced immigration intake and a proper led decision on where shortages may be not industry led which are exploiting all concerned.

Give full rights to all asylum seekers presently living in squalor not allowed to work and release all detention inmates into society within Australia after a speedy assessment on their claim has been done. Restore Australia's name and work out a policy for the future.

I have never said mono cultural is wrong. Have lived it many times in different countries and far prefer mix. Rules out most anywhere really in UK, outside of London I expect as too parochial.

You want the same rules applying to all get rid of the present government and don't put ALP in its place. The policy of a Big Australia at any costs needs to cease. The rorts ended. A reduced immigration intake and a proper led decision on where shortages may be not industry led which are exploiting all concerned.

Give full rights to all asylum seekers presently living in squalor not allowed to work and release all detention inmates into society within Australia after a speedy assessment on their claim has been done. Restore Australia's name and work out a policy for the future.

Sounds wonderful, if you want to turn Australia into a Third World nation.

Much better to keep them locked up forever, eh Mary?

Much better to get them processed quickly and the majority of them sent back. Alternatively stick to the governments policies, that have seemed to have stopped a lot of people coming anyway and the problem will dwindle into insignificance. The money that's saved can then go into making things better for the people that are on struggle street here.

Don't tell me i am one of those on ignore harpo? :shocked:

Don't tell me i am one of those on ignore harpo? :shocked:

Not all Brits are racist, just white ones, because racism is a crime perpetuated solely by white people, against, of course, non-white people. Naturally, there are plenty of nasty 'isms' perpetuated by non-white people against other non-white people, based upon such differences as tribe/gender/religion/caste, but, however bad, they are never as bad as white racism.

Not all Brits are racist, just white ones, because racism is a crime perpetuated solely by white people, against, of course, non-white people. Naturally, there are plenty of nasty 'isms' perpetuated by non-white people against other non-white people, based upon such differences as tribe/gender/religion/caste, but, however bad, they are never as bad as white racism.

To be honest with you i think that there is more racism about in the UK now, however i do not think it is anything to do with skin colour, more the fact that the UK is changing incredibly fast with the mass influx of Eastern Europeans/Asians etc and the indigenous population is finding it harder and harder to deal with.

Archived