What is an average Aussie?

noworriesmate

I imagine most people in Britain (as I did before coming here) thought of Aussie in terms of the stereotypes we saw on TV or in books - 'everybody lived on a 'station' and did their education through the 'school of the air' and needed the 'flying doctor' for any medical problems. Aussie men wore slouch hats and sheared sheep, and the cricketers all had moustaches and hated Pommies.

You never really think that most Aussies live in huge cities along the coastline and never go near the bush. I thought I was going to get a hard time as soon as I arrived because of my background, but in truth, no 'Aussie' ever cared that I was English.

Australia was settled by largely British and Irish stock, so it's natural that people still think of Australia in those terms, despite the huge numbers of immigrants from all over the world. It's nothing to be ashamed of, anyway, especially when you think of how many of those countries the migrants come from, are themselves far more 'mono-centric' and hostile to 'aliens' than we will ever be!

I can definitely see a more Asian influence ,certainly on the streets of Perth anyway. At our recent Citizenship Test & Interview we were the only Western looking couple out of about 50 people .

Good to see the neighbourhood reflection on the faces in the street in Perth. Citizenship ceremony last year I attended though still reflected past realities. A quarter from UK. Followed by Ireland then Azerbaijan, Italy, China and a number of single nation reps. Far less Asians than would have expected.

Depends which suburb you are in really. Don't hear any British accents round here though quite a few German/Dutch. A few kms away everyone is from Asia. New migrants still tend to live in certain areas all together- safety in mumbers or just a sense of security?

Depends which suburb you are in really. Don't hear any British accents round here though quite a few German/Dutch. A few kms away everyone is from Asia. New migrants still tend to live in certain areas all together- safety in mumbers or just a sense of security?

People have always liked to live amongst their own kind. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are white of course. Then you are accused of racism!

Sydney is certainly a melting pot of peoples, probably not unlike London, but certain races still congregate in certain areas/suburbs, and it can be confronting to go to one of these suburbs and realize you are a minority. Is that racist to think like that? Or is that just natural?

I always thought that 'multi-racial' meant various nationalities all living and working together, with no one group dominant, and in some ways, that is the way I feel around my own suburb - Surry Hills, with churches, mosques, temples, nationalities and restaurants from A to Z.

If I eat in an Lebanese/Turkish restaurant in Surry Hills, (and there are plenty), there's no problem if I want to drink alcohol with my meal, but go to somewhere like Lakemba or Greenacre, and you are prohibited, not because they are unlicensed, but because Islam and alcohol don't go together, and I hate it. Why should I have to respect another nation/religion's values when they run counter to my own, in my own country? I have no problem if I am visiting another country.

The first time I drove down the west coast we hitched with some Melbournians who honestly didn't have a clue about anythinv bush or outback related. They kept telling me that they were city folk and lacked as much knowledge as any European.

I imagine most people in Britain (as I did before coming here) thought of Aussie in terms of the stereotypes we saw on TV or in books - 'everybody lived on a 'station' and did their education through the 'school of the air' and needed the 'flying doctor' for any medical problems. Aussie men wore slouch hats and sheared sheep, and the cricketers all had moustaches and hated Pommies.

You never really think that most Aussies live in huge cities along the coastline and never go near the bush. I thought I was going to get a hard time as soon as I arrived because of my background, but in truth, no 'Aussie' ever cared that I was English.

Australia was settled by largely British and Irish stock, so it's natural that people still think of Australia in those terms, despite the huge numbers of immigrants from all over the world. It's nothing to be ashamed of, anyway, especially when you think of how many of those countries the migrants come from, are themselves far more 'mono-centric' and hostile to 'aliens' than we will ever be!

People have always liked to live amongst their own kind. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are white of course. Then you are accused of racism!

Sydney is certainly a melting pot of peoples, probably not unlike London, but certain races still congregate in certain areas/suburbs, and it can be confronting to go to one of these suburbs and realize you are a minority. Is that racist to think like that? Or is that just natural?

I always thought that 'multi-racial' meant various nationalities all living and working together, with no one group dominant, and in some ways, that is the way I feel around my own suburb - Surry Hills, with churches, mosques, temples, nationalities and restaurants from A to Z.

If I eat in an Lebanese/Turkish restaurant in Surry Hills, (and there are plenty), there's no problem if I want to drink alcohol with my meal, but go to somewhere like Lakemba or Greenacre, and you are prohibited, not because they are unlicensed, but because Islam and alcohol don't go together, and I hate it. Why should I have to respect another nation/religion's values when they run counter to my own, in my own country? I have no problem if I am visiting another country.

Those values with regards alcohol in a different form appear to be gaining ground in controlled Australia. While Islam is against alcohol no without some understanding, many Muslims do drink.

Funny but the only people I have ever seen dressed in long socks and a cork hat were Paul Hogan trying to be funny and a pom dressed up in what he thought was an Australian 'uniform' at a bad taste party. Of course all British males wear flat caps and have cigs behind their ears.

Funny but the only people I have ever seen dressed in long socks and a cork hat were Paul Hogan trying to be funny and a pom dressed up in what he thought was an Australian 'uniform' at a bad taste party. Of course all British males wear flat caps and have cigs behind their ears.

I have seen a man in long socks etc but only once. He just so happened to be the first person I had contact with after landing in Darwin. I thought it was great and he was really friendly too. Maybe he was playing up to the stereotype a bit.

.....and when hubby went to Halifax recently he came back and told me that there were quite a few men in flat caps! Now that's the real England and the real Australia :-) a rare breed now though.

I would like to go to Georgia, USA. My friend says they still tip their hats to a lady out there

The first time I drove down the west coast we hitched with some Melbournians who honestly didn't have a clue about anythinv bush or outback related. They kept telling me that they were city folk and lacked as much knowledge as any European.

My Eldest has lived in Brisbane for 8 years. The first time she saw a Kangaroo outside a zoo was at the bottom of our road in WA last year!

There are exceptions, but in general, the Lebanese around Surry Hills, Cleveland St, etc are Maronite Christians, and the ones around Lakemba are Sunni Muslims, which is probably why the difference. As for the alcohol or not, I tend to go with "their restaurant, their rules", so long as they comply with the law. They wouldn't be licenced to sell booze anyway, as they wouldn't have bothered applying.

Archived