489 visa - good option or not?

LisaPaul

Hi all, we are new to this forum and are just at the beginning stage. It's likely that we will need to go for a 489 visa for points reasons and I'm just wondering if anyone has gone out on this visa? I would be especially interested to chat to anyone who has then gone on to the next stage for permanent residency after 2yrs - is this a straight forward process of low cost like our migration agent has told us? Does the 489 visa limit employment options?

I have so many questions at this stage and am a bit concerned about work etc. as we will be going out there with 3 young children, currently 4yrs and 2yr old twins, and I may not be able to work until the younger boys go to school. So we will be relying on my partners income - he's a painter & decorator. We have been looking at Adelaide as it seems to be the only major city we can live/work in on the 489 visa.

Thank you for your help.

Lisa xx

There are lots of people come on 489 visas.

The PR stage is very simple and cheap providing you comply with the visa conditions for the two years.

Unless you really want to live in a city, there are lots of other options across Australia. For example i live in a regional city called Mandurah which is the closest regional city to Perth. We live there by choice as homes are more affordable, we are next to the beach and it's very pretty, while being only 50 minutes from Perth. We also have massive housing growth so huge demand for trades people.

Hi Lisa, i also have applied for SA 489 for points reasons. Firstly SA (all of it ) is classed as regional including adelaide, so no restrictions on where you live. Also no restrictions on who and where you work,or how many companies you work for ( so long as the first 2 years you remain and work in SA ). to do the transition visa i found out it is only FEW hundred dollars and takes 3- 6 months for PR. Looks straight forward and you need to provide address and employment details for initial 2 years. You can do this, you do not need employer to do. Other than the initial 2 years i dont see much difference, i believe there is some healthcare differences and unable to move to other states if looking for PR down the line. The 475 visa is very restrictive and i personally would not bother with that one but this one seems and is a good option for those just short of points .

Good luck and the nerves and questions never subside, i have found this site and peoples feedback most informative and helpful.

Good luck

Thanks VERYSTORMY but according to our migration agent WA is not an option for Painting Trades workers on a 489 at this time. The most important thing for us is work to begin with so we will pretty much go anywhere (although not keen on very inland). Paul would need to work as soon as he arrives as we currently rent so we won't have any house sale proceeds to fund the move/set-up - we are just doing this on savings. It's just my thinking that there are better job opportunities in a major city - I'm probably totally wrong!

By the way VERYSTORMY I had a look at Mandurah and it is absolutely beautiful. You are very lucky to live there! Thanks for your reply.

tothemoon thank you and good luck also x

Hi Lisa, i also have applied for SA 489 for points reasons. Firstly SA (all of it ) is classed as regional including adelaide, so no restrictions on where you live. Also no restrictions on who and where you work,or how many companies you work for ( so long as the first 2 years you remain and work in SA ). to do the transition visa i found out it is only FEW hundred dollars and takes 3- 6 months for PR. Looks straight forward and you need to provide address and employment details for initial 2 years. You can do this, you do not need employer to do. Other than the initial 2 years i dont see much difference, i believe there is some healthcare differences and unable to move to other states if looking for PR down the line. The 475 visa is very restrictive and i personally would not bother with that one but this one seems and is a good option for those just short of points .

Good luck and the nerves and questions never subside, i have found this site and peoples feedback most informative and helpful.

Good luck

Thanks Tinaisrar that has put my mind at rest for a bit. I was worried that maybe there was something I was missing about the visa - the whole idea of it not being permanent makes me feel uneasy. If it was just myself and Paul I wouldn't worry as much but we have 3 kids now and everything changes!

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks Tinaisrar that has put my mind at rest for a bit. I was worried that maybe there was something I was missing about the visa - the whole idea of it not being permanent makes me feel uneasy. If it was just myself and Paul I wouldn't worry as much but we have 3 kids now and everything changes!

Thanks for your reply!

I understand where your coming from with that Lisa,but its very close to PR and is straight forward for transition. My worry is hoping i like SA but 2 years is short enough to get settled get to know Aus. Its just the pack up and go, leaving behind familiarity of the UK and systems that scares me lol. Im sure will work out in the end, if not its an experience.

Thanks for your reply!

Lisa, obviously if you can get the 190 then you should do so. It is a much better visa overall, the 489 visa is just if you can't make 190 or 189.

Thanks for all your help and it does look like we will be opting for a 489. Does anyone know what the healthcare differences are? Would we still have access to Medicare on the 489 visa or would we have to wait until we are permanent residents for that?

Thanks

Lisa

Thanks for all your help and it does look like we will be opting for a 489. Does anyone know what the healthcare differences are? Would we still have access to Medicare on the 489 visa or would we have to wait until we are permanent residents for that?

Thanks

Lisa

Are you really "opting" for the 489? Or is it your only option. Because it makes no sense at all to opt for this poorer quality of visa if you have another option. The main reason being the restrictions, it means you cannot take your time moving (and you might think you want to go straight away, but sometimes plans change and people want to put off). I have also seen many people struggle to find work on the 489 because of their location - your thinking of Adelaide might help with that however.

You would not get full Medicare on this visa, just reciprocal cover, depending where you are you would have schools fees too (I don't think SA charges at the moment, but that could change, WA recently changed). You also would have no access to some of the childcare related benefits.

Are you really "opting" for the 489? Or is it your only option. Because it makes no sense at all to opt for this poorer quality of visa if you have another option. The main reason being the restrictions, it means you cannot take your time moving (and you might think you want to go straight away, but sometimes plans change and people want to put off). I have also seen many people struggle to find work on the 489 because of their location - your thinking of Adelaide might help with that however.

You would not get full Medicare on this visa, just reciprocal cover, depending where you are you would have schools fees too (I don't think SA charges at the moment, but that could change, WA recently changed). You also would have no access to some of the childcare related benefits.

Thanks Pumpkin that's really helpful. Yes the 489 is our best option. It's good to hear the negatives now rather than find them out later.

Thank you

Lisa

Thanks Pumpkin that's really helpful. Yes the 489 is our best option. It's good to hear the negatives now rather than find them out later.

Thank you

Lisa

Sorry I am just not making myself clear. There are only three skilled migration options and the 489 is NEVER the best option. It simply cannot be. The only reason anyone would choose this is if they could not get one of the other two options. So I am really concerned about you thinking this is the best option and wonder if you are missing something. Or, as I said, do you mean it is your only option. In this case, well then go for it.

Sorry I am just not making myself clear. There are only three skilled migration options and the 489 is NEVER the best option. It simply cannot be. The only reason anyone would choose this is if they could not get one of the other two options. So I am really concerned about you thinking this is the best option and wonder if you are missing something. Or, as I said, do you mean it is your only option. In this case, well then go for it.

Sorry Pumpkin I did mean it is our only option - I've just worded it totally wrong....apologies! My head is quite full of it all today, questions, questions, questions! Not making sense to myself or anyone else. And thank you so much for the advice!

I don't understand why you think that a 489 is your only option. You only need 60 points for a 189 or 190 application and if you have 3 kids, a permanent visa will be an immeasurably better option. If he is aged 25-32 (a reasonable assumption for someone with 3 kids), that's 30 points, works hard at getting all 8s in IELTS (not easy but definitely possible), that's another 20 points plus 10 for his qualifications and you have the 60 required. If he has a few years post qualification work experience, he might even get away with lower IELTS and the 5 points for 190 sponsorship.

My apologies if I'm on the wrong track but the benefits you'll get on a permanent visa really are worth any amount of effort to get one from the outset.

I don't understand why you think that a 489 is your only option. You only need 60 points for a 189 or 190 application and if you have 3 kids, a permanent visa will be an immeasurably better option. If he is aged 25-32 (a reasonable assumption for someone with 3 kids), that's 30 points, works hard at getting all 8s in IELTS (not easy but definitely possible), that's another 20 points plus 10 for his qualifications and you have the 60 required. If he has a few years post qualification work experience, he might even get away with lower IELTS and the 5 points for 190 sponsorship.

My apologies if I'm on the wrong track but the benefits you'll get on a permanent visa really are worth any amount of effort to get one from the outset.

Hi Ozmaniac, thanks very much for the reply. I totally agree that the 189 or 190 are the best options however I'll explain where we are with the points situation:

38yrs - 25 points

Qual & skills - 25 points

IELTS would be a major problem for Paul as he suffers from dyslexia. I'm aware that there is help in the form of extra time but this will not help with the spelling. He has done practice tests and every part is fine except the writing which lets him down i.e. the spelling. I have helped him with this but we have now come to the conclusion that it's not possible for him to pass the test and unfortunately it would be a waste of money to do it.

We had considered other options such as putting everything on hold for a bit in order for me to retrain and possibly go for the visa instead of Paul. However, there are so many things that could change or go wrong in that time: the skills list could change, we will be 40 in less than 2yrs so will lose points for age, I will not get points for experience, I will need to get 20 points on IELTS test. I'm also fully aware that procedures and visa requirements could change at any time.

So taking all of the above into account we have decided to go for the 489 visa now on Paul's skills and gain the extra 10 points from regional sponsorship. The last few days have been tough but now we know where we stand and can move forward to get the process started. The feedback I've received on here has been excellent at pointing out the negatives about the 489 visa so hopefully we are going into this with our eyes wide open. If only there were another way of gaining the extra points to enable us to go for a 189 or 190 visa.....but I cannot see how this is possible.

Many thanks for your help

Lisa

I am also dyslexic and for the sake of £130 I would sit the IELTS just to give it a go - who knows he may manage to gain 7's in each section. As regarding the cost £130 is a drop in the ocean compaired to migrating cost. The IELTS was never designed for native English speaking people anyway. My OH had to do the IELTS and his first language is not English and gained overall 8.5 ( been a few years can't remember the individual scores). Even with his first language not been English he felt that he had lots of time to answer each section.

I am also dyslexic and for the sake of £130 I would sit the IELTS just to give it a go - who knows he may manage to gain 7's in each section. As regarding the cost £130 is a drop in the ocean compaired to migrating cost. The IELTS was never designed for native English speaking people anyway. My OH had to do the IELTS and his first language is not English and gained overall 8.5 ( been a few years can't remember the individual scores). Even with his first language not been English he felt that he had lots of time to answer each section.

Thanks lebourvellec but believe me if he thought it was possible to pass then he would do the test, and unfortunately after helping him with the practice tests I have to agree. He really does struggle with it. I just really can see no other way! Yes I'm aware of the visa conditions and consequences - thanks for the advice!

Hi, I have no option other than 489 either as I will be over 40, I was considering applying for regional sponored pr after 12 months on the 489. 12 months working in oz is 5 points, then 5 for the sponorship. Would that be possible?

Hi nicola494, once you have been there for 2yrs on a 489 visa, having worked for at least 1yr you can apply for a permanent 887 visa which is apparently straight forward and not very costly. However as is said in the above posts you need to be careful not to breach visa conditions or this can be refused.

Thanks lebourvellec but believe me if he thought it was possible to pass then he would do the test, and unfortunately after helping him with the practice tests I have to agree. He really does struggle with it. I just really can see no other way! Yes I'm aware of the visa conditions and consequences - thanks for the advice!

But you don't know unless you try. Sitting at home doing practice tests is not the same. I sat with my OH with the practice test. I didn't know if he would do that well but he did. I remember that he got a 9 for the listening which shocked me the most as he never seems to listen to a word I say.

Think the point is there is no harm in sitting it to give you family the best opportunity on having a PR visa.

Hi Lisa,

We were in the same boat as you. Hubby turning 45 so we needed 8 in each band to get us the points needed for 190. He sat the Ielts 9 time and always missed by .5 in only one band each time, he scored 8.5 overall but thats not good enough it needs to be in each band, it was very demoralising for him. In the end we went for the 489 which we received last month. Just grateful to have the option.

Go for the visa that best suits you and puts less pressure on you

All the best

Archived