Just occurred to me about bank statements

Pommy Mark

When I aplly for my student visa I'll be disclosing quite a lot of information and one of those things will be my bank statements. that's ok but after speaking to my bank today and the security checks I had to go through, can anyone explain how Ozzie immigration just get to skip that and can get access to that type of information just by requesting it from my bank? Obviously the statements I will supply but being able to speak to my bank to find out all my details that easily does seem quite alarming.

the more I think about it, the more I start to realise that this is quite worrying:what other personal info can they just get like that? Does anyone agree that this completely defies any privacy laws that might exist?

There was a big thing about phone hacking in the uk not so long ago and it's quite well known that internet activity can be tracked/called upon, I'm just thinking now is there anything in any circumstance I can keep private?

Presumably the bank will ask questions that anyone trying to get into your bank account, would not be able to answer (security questions, passwords/codes etc). I'm not expert but I don't think Immigration can call your bank and say "give me all of Ethan's money immediately, we are DIAC. We can't answer the security questions but give us the money anyway" (or words to that effect).

I agree that it can be worrying, after having given lots of personal information as part of the Immigration process. This is information we are usually told to keep to ourselves or not share in it's entirety.

But maybe someone who knows what they are talking about (ie, not me!) will come along with some more information...

What makes you think that DIAC will be able to circumnavigate your bank security procedures? And why would you think that your bank would breach the Data Protection Act just because DIAC contacted them?

I really am intrigued!

When I aplly for my student visa I'll be disclosing quite a lot of information and one of those things will be my bank statements. that's ok but after speaking to my bank today and the security checks I had to go through, can anyone explain how Ozzie immigration just get to skip that and can get access to that type of information just by requesting it from my bank? Obviously the statements I will supply but being able to speak to my bank to find out all my details that easily does seem quite alarming.

the more I think about it, the more I start to realise that this is quite worrying:what other personal info can they just get like that? Does anyone agree that this completely defies any privacy laws that might exist?

There was a big thing about phone hacking in the uk not so long ago and it's quite well known that internet activity can be tracked/called upon, I'm just thinking now is there anything in any circumstance I can keep private?

Well yes it would be a big deal. If it were happening. I cannot think why on earth you think immigration are calling people's banks.

Immigration will not call your bank or get any information from them. You're quite welcome to blackout any details such as account numbers, sort codes etc from bank statements you supply to them.

Yeh that may be an idea.

I say that as building management at my apartments have 'lost' the photocopy of my passport. They said they want another, which I refused to give them. Gotta be careful with these type of documents as it just takes one pair of 'beady eyes' lol

Archived