Would you fly with Malaysian airlines ?

starlight7

There has been no connection found as of yet between the airline and the unfortunate things that have happened to those planes. It's going to be really bad for the airline and unfair too but no, I won't fly with them (I probably wouldn't have anyway, as I prefer to use the ones I've experienced before.)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malaysian Airlines representative on the news right now. Says that ticket prices will probably have to drop much more for them to maintain numbers. He says the airline is only making money on domestic flights and the international routes are just bleeding money. That's not just for them btw, that's all the airlines competing on the same routes.

Guest The Pom Queen

They are saying Malaysian Airlines are probably going to pull out of Darwin after numbers have dropped

Just had this conversation with my wife as we're planning a trip back next year. I would definitely fly with them even though the incident was a little bit closer to home than most (a friend in work lost both his parents). Having said that, we would not want to risk them going bankrupt and leaving us high and dry, which you'd have to say is pretty likely unless the Malaysian government intervenes.

This is based on my understanding that they were merely unlucky and followed all appropriate safety guidance.

That's a concern isn't it. Even if they dropped their prices to be cheaper than everyone else, do you risk booking with them in case they stop flying internationally altogether. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We flew with them a few years ago and they were good. KL airport is amazing.

That's a concern isn't it. Even if they dropped their prices to be cheaper than everyone else, do you risk booking with them in case they stop flying internationally altogether. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We flew with them a few years ago and they were good. KL airport is amazing.

If they stopped the routes you'd be entitled to a refund.

Not sure dropping prices is the answer tbh. how is that going to turn the business around. Sell more tickets at a lower price - unless they have planes which are half empty this won't achieve much.

Maybe try dropping some routes. The ones that aren't paying for themselves.

A refund is worth very little if you're left with 3 weeks to get new tickets for a family of four.

Reducing ticket prices is the main option for them really. Can't cut many routes with less than a years notice (as you'd have to pay refunds) and you need any plane that's flying to be as full as possible as you've already incurred all the cost by then.

Yet most don't think twice about travel by car. A far more dangerous pursuit than flying every day of the year. Not only that but traffic accidents are the major source of death and injury in the Asian countries so many holiday in.

I think Malaysia is likely to pull through with some destination loses. A pretty much middling airline and certainly not in the bucket class as Bangla Deshi and the old Aeroflot used to be. Garuda Indonesia didn't have a good reputation.

Bit like the Bali bombings I guess. How many at the time said they'd never return there? Long forgotten and more popular than ever.

But if they went into liquidation you might not get your money back.

You would be an unsecured creditor and a long way down the pecking order.

I'm still annoyed that Ansett went broke and I lost all my frequent flyer points.

I'm still annoyed that Ansett went broke and I lost all my frequent flyer points.

All major airlines and travel companies give you guarantees of refunds, it's from an insurance company not themselves.

Everyone at work used to fly with Ansett and when they went broke it was just before Christmas. All the Christmas decorations at work were added to by everyones frequent flyer cards and lounge membership cards. I and plenty of others lost thousands of points.

I guess that's one of the bonuses of travelling in Aus with work. I regularly fly over to the Eastern States and also Darwin and as far as Townsville. I've got lots of frequent flyer points with Qantas and Virgin. We've had a couple of holidays over East already where we've not had to pay for flights and got hotel rooms too. I joined the Intercontinental Hotel Chain frequent stayer club, it's free to join the points never expire and you get free rooms at lots of places. I've got a lot of points accrued with them at the moment and enough frequent flyer points for a family holiday over East, or Bali.

My son does even better than me. He flies between Perth and Port Hedland on a Qantas scheduled flight every week on his FIFO job. He is over in Europe at the moment for the Tomorrowland concert in Belgium. He went last year and had such a good time he decided to go again.:cool:

A one way ticket from UK to Aus is currently 300pound cheaper with malaysia, this was case even before latest incident as I was intending on doing this exact flight path when i return in dec but now Im not so sure!

Cheaper than what? I have been looking at one way tickets to aus and Singapore have consistently been the cheapest except a 2 week period when qantas were cheaper. Just ran a quick search on skyscanner. . malaysia are £120 more expensive than the cheapest options.

u3asa8yb.jpg

ysyhe4em.jpg

All I can say to that is... bloody hell, Emirates are expensive from Newcastle! When BA are cheaper by nearly 200 quid you know your getting ripped off.

Actually flights in general are expensive from newcastle? For less than £300 you could probablu fly to Heathrow and jump on an Emirates flight there and arrive in Australia quicker?

This is the trouble. People like you guys just look for the lowest fares and then judge the quality of the airline by how pretty the hostesses are and how much you like the food.

You never even consider safety which is obviously far more important.

This is the trouble. People like you guys just look for the lowest fares and then judge the quality of the airline by how pretty the hostesses are and how much you like the food.

I have flight radar I know exactly where, and what my plane is going to fly through regardless of price :-)

Emirates are pricing themselves out the market they are so expensive now and to be honest the service aint that great

Yet on other routes they are very competitive. We fly UK to Indonesia regularly and they are often one of the best priced. They aren't even that uncompetitive on the London to Sydney route.

One of the benefits is a really good choice of flights too, with so many flights in ane out of the major cities on a daily basis you can really tailor it to your needs.

I disagree about service though, I find them to be really good.

Yet on other routes they are very competitive. We fly UK to Indonesia regularly and they are often one of the best priced. They aren't even that uncompetitive on the London to Sydney route.

One of the benefits is a really good choice of flights too, with so many flights in ane out of the major cities on a daily basis you can really tailor it to your needs.

I disagree about service though, I find them to be really good.

Try the Sydney to London route you will be shocked!!!

My brother lives in Dubai and has also stopped using them to ferry to UK as they are now double the price of British Airways, and like me he say the service is no better in fact we both think the constantly having to ask for a drink is annoying. Air New Zealand you can't finish your glass before they are topping it up, a bit excessive but you do notice the difference

It's not just about the fares. If it was I'd probably end up flying with China southern, or Saudi half the time.

I only tend to fly with the following.

Emirates

Singapore

Malaysia

Etihad

Qatar

Garuda

I then make my choice based on price, total flight time, length of stopover, baggage allowance, departure & arrival time.

I avoid code share flights as much as possible depending on the combination. IE - Emirates code share with qantas. I wouldn't book it. Etihad code share with Garuda. .. that's fine as both are on my preferred list.

Archived