Store Loyalty cards- am I missing something

Dawn2002

Thanks all

Keith and Linda, thanks for the commonwealth bank card tip, we aren't really to bothered on the frequent flyer points, but the card sounds similar to one we have now which when we pay off we will be getting rid if, so a similar replacement would be welcome so I'll keep it in mind when we get to that point.

My main reason for the post is we are really trying to cut back in all areas as my OH now has a job paying half what he was paid before, ( long story), my area is the food shopping.. I was sure there must have been more to the store cards but other than the frequent flyer points there does not seem to be.

Cal one question. I don't have a frequent flyer card at the moment, can I just apply for one then link it to the Woolies card and get the points just for scanning the rewards card ? I do get the mails and I've had a few gift vouchers from them including the one you mentioned which I am waiting for now.

Sorry if any of the above seems a silly question.

Thanks Dawn

I have a coles credit card too. There are two different ones. One has no annual fee and you earn one point per $1 spent anywhere. The other has a $50 yearly fee but you get 2 points per $1 spent anywhere. You then get extra points for shopping at coles, Kmart, target etc. The one with the yearly fee often comes with a $50 coles voucher when you sign up, so that's one year of fees wiped out.

I put everything I can on it and activate all the offers which are emailed to me. I pay it off in full every week so have never paid any fees. The first six months I got $330 worth of money off my shopping just through the points (there are extra money off bonuses).

Considering that this is from just buying all the things I normally would I think that's a pretty good deal. I don't care if they know what I buy. Hell, they even know I shop at woollies sometimes (which I still get 2 points for every $1 I spend at).

Hi there

I currently have a Woolworths loyalty card, now I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be much point to having it. You get the fuel vouchers any way and other than the occasional money off if you spend X and get a gift voucher I can't see any other benefit. The Nectar card in the UK accrued points which gave you money off.

Are there any similar loyalty cards here like that ? Please enlighten me if I'm missing something on the current rewards card.

I am trying to cut down on our spending on food and as I have to go shopping with 2 children under 5 my main aim is to get all I can in the minimum number of different stores !! Hence I only manage the supermarket fruit and veg shop and butchers at most.. I have tried Aldi but I wasn't impressed.

Any suggestions ?

Well with all the responses it looks like you need a credit card as well as a loyalty card, but as you do not really want one, then it would appear you would be best shopping for the specials and the sell by reductions at several stores ( and we have done that both by necessity and choice (Yorkshireman)), the loyalty card will get you the fuel discount for driving around to them all.

Hope things work out for you.

We got a west pack black card a few months ago and as soon as we started using it we started getting lots of nice offers from Coles and Woolworths. To date we have had 6 vouchers from Woolworths forn$10 off when we spend over $60. Then Coles sent us 12 vouchers for $20 when I spend $90 then yesterday Woolworth sent another for $10 off when I spend $30.

I do have a 28degree credit card which we use for our overseas travel, and internet purchases ( small limit in case of scams/fraud/lost/stolen)

Hi Keith

This credit card was mentioned on The Checkout last night (not sure if you watch it but it is a great consumer affairs programme and you pick up lots of tips http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/). One of the features on last nights programme (episode 16) was about using credit cards overseas or as an alternative a travel card loaded with currency. The travel cards were worse than the credit card because they gave you a much lower exchange rate, but one of the recommendations was the 28 degree credit card or the Bank West Platinum card as both did not have international fees and there was no annual credit card fee, so we are going to look into getting one of them.

Regards

Jessica

Hi Keith

This credit card was mentioned on The Checkout last night (not sure if you watch it but it is a great consumer affairs programme and you pick up lots of tips http://www.abc.net.au/tv/thecheckout/). One of the features on last nights programme (episode 16) was about using credit cards overseas or as an alternative a travel card loaded with currency. The travel cards were worse than the credit card because they gave you a much lower exchange rate, but one of the recommendations was the 28 degree credit card or the Bank West Platinum card as both did not have international fees and there was no annual credit card fee, so we are going to look into getting one of them.

Regards

Jessica

Thanks Jessica, will give that a go at watching. It was my brother that put me onto the 28Deg after I had a lot of trouble with the travel cards, the card got some good reps on the 'whirlpool' forum I believe. Remember you can (should) load this credit card too before you travel then when you use ATM's for cash withdrawals you don't get hit with the cash advance fee and interest from day of withdrawal.

Keith

We shop at Coles, just personal preference and we find the specials much better deals than Woolworths. We collect flybuys. We also have extras cover with Medibank and you get flybuys for your monthly payments as well as 3x points for any fresh fruit and veg (you need to link the accounts). We also have a Coles credit card, no annual fee and when we took it out they gave us a $50 Coles voucher as an incentive and you get flybuys points with that as well. We also get our petrol at Coles petrol station where we get flybuys. We also get additional points offers through the post and via emails which we use if appropriate. We save all the points up till the end of the year and then use them at Christmas to pay for our food shopping.

The thing is you need to use them as much as they use you (as others have said they just want your shopping habits for their own market research)! Don't buy stuff just to get points or drive miles out of your way just to fill up with petrol at a Coles, but be smart and if these things are available (for example we have been with Medibank for about 5 or so years but their alliance with Coles is a fairly new thing so we didn't just join Medibank to get flybuys) utilise them to the max!

Thanks Jessica, will give that a go at watching. It was my brother that put me onto the 28Deg after I had a lot of trouble with the travel cards, the card got some good reps on the 'whirlpool' forum I believe. Remember you can (should) load this credit card too before you travel then when you use ATM's for cash withdrawals you don't get hit with the cash advance fee and interest from day of withdrawal.

Keith

You can't do that with the 28 degree card. They introduced a cash advance fee this year.

I have one, although haven't used it much, just the odd overseas online purchase.

They still charge a cash advance fee even if your card has credit (your own money) on it.

You can't do that with the 28 degree card. They introduced a cash advance fee this year.

I have one, although haven't used it much, just the odd overseas online purchase.

Guess too many people were doing it and they got wise, if it is a set fee rather than % then just get larger amounts out, I will find/suss out in September when we go over to California, Will report back then.

Well with all the responses it looks like you need a credit card as well as a loyalty card, but as you do not really want one, then it would appear you would be best shopping for the specials and the sell by reductions at several stores ( and we have done that both by necessity and choice (Yorkshireman)), the loyalty card will get you the fuel discount for driving around to them all.

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks, it looks like you are correct, when our current lease runs out we will be moving to a cheaper place which should all but solve the issue. Till then it's just economise with a capital E !

Thanks, it looks like you are correct, when our current lease runs out we will be moving to a cheaper place which should all but solve the issue. Till then it's just economise with a capital E !

May I ask what rent you are paying now and what you wish to come down to? also are you tied to the Gold Coast area?

May I ask what rent you are paying now and what you wish to come down to? also are you tied to the Gold Coast area?

We are paying $700 a week, which we now realise is 1- to much for the area/house 2- we underestimated the living cost generally. It was a poor decision on our part, I think partly made as we were a bit desperate to get out of staying under his relatives feet. It was fine when my hubby had his previous job, but when the contract ended ( he was working from home for the same company he did in the UK and was being paid city of London wages originally he was told they would be ok to extend it for another year) it took him 6 weeks to get another contract, which is less than the UK wage. But money coming in at least until he can find something better. We want to get down to $400-500 a week. We really want to avoid eating into our savings any more than we are already.

We are not tied to the GC, but my OH grew up here, all his family are here, with some in Brisbane. Hence why we moved here.

He is currently looking for another job which will more than likely be in Brisbane. We hope he will get one before the lease runs out so we can make the decision on whether we need to move to Brisbane or not. This is important as my daughter starts school next year, so we don't really want to uproot her after a few months.

We have even discussed a move to Sydney as jobs there are more plentiful in his line of work, I would find it much easier to get a job to once both children are at school, but came to the conclusion that after paying more rent etc we really wouldn't be that much better off.

A lesson learnt I think the hard way.

We are paying $700 a week, which we now realise is 1- to much for the area/house 2- we underestimated the living cost generally. It was a poor decision on our part, I think partly made as we were a bit desperate to get out of staying under his relatives feet. It was fine when my hubby had his previous job, but when the contract ended ( he was working from home for the same company he did in the UK and was being paid city of London wages originally he was told they would be ok to extend it for another year) it took him 6 weeks to get another contract, which is less than the UK wage. But money coming in at least until he can find something better. We want to get down to $400-500 a week. We really want to avoid eating into our savings any more than we are already.

We are not tied to the GC, but my OH grew up here, all his family are here, with some in Brisbane. Hence why we moved here.

He is currently looking for another job which will more than likely be in Brisbane. We hope he will get one before the lease runs out so we can make the decision on whether we need to move to Brisbane or not. This is important as my daughter starts school next year, so we don't really want to uproot her after a few months.

We have even discussed a move to Sydney as jobs there are more plentiful in his line of work, I would find it much easier to get a job to once both children are at school, but came to the conclusion that after paying more rent etc we really wouldn't be that much better off.

A lesson learnt I think the hard way.

OK Dawn, my last reply to you was removed (advertising apparently), so to assist you I can advise that I know of a secure complex of 3 bed homes near the Loganholme shopping centre, handy for both the Gold Coast & Brisbane. These homes rent for around the $350 mark, but available properties may not be advertised rather more let from a waiting list, so if you decide to move and you are interested at all then you, as well as anybody else, can PM me and I will have a word with the on-site manager.

Regards Keith

My main reason for the post is we are really trying to cut back in all areas as my OH now has a job paying half what he was paid before, ( long story), my area is the food shopping.. I was sure there must have been more to the store cards but other than the frequent flyer points there does not seem to be.

Cal one question. I don't have a frequent flyer card at the moment, can I just apply for one then link it to the Woolies card and get the points just for scanning the rewards card ? I do get the mails and I've had a few gift vouchers from them including the one you mentioned which I am waiting for now.

If you've only got access to one supermarket, or you don't have time to shop around, then having the FF points is a small consolation for the extra money you're spending. But as others have said, there have been plenty of consumer tests where it's been proved that if you have access to a couple of supermarkets, you will always save more money by shopping wherever it's cheaper, than you could ever get back in FF points. Especially as you probably don't really need any of the stuff that you can redeem points for, and you need squillions of points to get a decent flight anywhere.

The risk with a rewards card is that it influences you to keep shopping at that store, even when it might be cheaper elsewhere. Or sub-consciously, it gives you permission not to shop around, because you can fool yourself you're saving money.

Hi Keith

Regards

Jessica

I just opened a Citibank Plus account because there are NO international money transfer fees and their exchange rate is better than most of the other banks. I haven't applied for a credit card with them yet.

Archived