Right At The Beginning ...

Guest DeanBarr

Guest DeanBarr

We have spoke about it for long enough and now we have decided we are going to make a move down under.

Have spoken to Migration Agents but whilst they all say much the same thing - some miss things out and some add in new things that previously you hadn't thought about.

About ourselves: it's just myself (26) and my wife (33) - we have no dependents or anything like it and we live outside Glasgow.

I have been a company Managing Director (111111 Code) (of a company I own) for the past three years prior to that I was a Sales Manager (131112) and that's about my career history. However, both are "on the list".

But that's all we know. I had one migration agent saying I would need letters from suppliers to the business, and to get some clients to sign testimonies that the company had worked for them, and for a statement from the company accountant and solicitor to state that I am who I say I am and that they are the company accountant and blah blah - to be honest the thing that puts me off there is turning up and asking clients to sign such statements - it's not something I want to discuss with anyone really, let alone clients.

We know you need to complete an Expression of Interest and go through Skillselect but to be honest, there's so much information online that nothing really clearly tells you do this, this, that and this, in this order, unless you pay someone £2,500 for the privilege of being your "Migration Agent."

If we need to then we'll spend it but I quite like that idea of keeping that money to myself. I've got awful good at filling forms in over the years and I reckon I could probably just about manage.

If anyone can shed any light on what to do first, and how to do it then we would much appreciate it.

Also, if you think we should just use a migration agent and not be such tight jocks then let me know and I'll get my chequebook out if it really is impossible to do it yourself.

Cheers.

It isn't impossible to do it yourself but you do need to spend a lot of time researching and ensuring you have got it all right.

the immi website does give you information on what you need to do and the order to do it in, but it is complicated and you risk losing the application fee if you get it wrong.

if you are methodical and good with forms and detail and have the time go for it.

i have done both ( don't ask, we are ping ponders!). I did a business skills one myself, although I was told it was very difficult and got that. This time though we used an agent as time was not on our side and it had to be right as it was last chance age wise.

using an agent doesn't mean you won't have to do some work, only you can source the information needed, but they will guide you on what is required and when.

if you are going to be the main applicant you will need to prove you do what you do, we had to provide invoices, bank statements company accounts plus references from clients. The latter is really for a job description to cover the aspects of the job related to the code you apply under. Not sure you will be able to avoid it. Did you look at your wife as the main applicant.

if you do go with an agent then you can just get advice, help with specific aspects of the application or everything. Expect to pay for a good one though, like everything.

Put it this way, people pay you for your advice, if you are good you can charge more. You shouldn't begrudge paying another professional for their expertise.

Guest DeanBarr

Well we looked at making my wife the main applicant. Seems easier.

She has a BSc Hon in Interior Design & an HND in Architecture - degree'd up to her eyeballs.

But she works in neither and what she does now isn't on the list.

However, she does have the qualifications she just has qualifications in two things that are impossible to get jobs in Scotland with.

But could she get in ...

You have just said..We know you need to complete an Expression of Interest and go through Skillselect but to be honest, there's so much information online that nothing really clearly tells you do this, this, that and this, in this order, unless you pay someone £2,500 for the privilege of being your "Migration Agent -

Sorry, but that is rubbish. There is SO much info on this site alone regarding what to do. Try the search :-) or google search.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know exactly which Visa you want to apply for? You may be suitable for more than one an each has their requirments. Personally i woul call a few agents and get their opinions, a point in the right direction so to speak. I will also move your thread into the migration section as we have a few agents and very clued members who post in that section and may be able to hep you further.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

If you're looking at skilled independent migration there a couple of issues that immediately jump out:

1) The occupations you mentioned for yourself have extremely strict skills assessment criteria through the AIM and unless you have a very large business it's very unlikely that you meet their requirements.

2) If your wife has no recent relevant experience in the occupations you mentioned she's unlikely to meet the skills assessment criteria as well.

An initial consultation with a good Registered Migration Agent would be able to look into all the aspects of your matter and then devise a pathway to move forwards on (if one exists). They're definitely more than form fillers.

Well we looked at making my wife the main applicant. Seems easier.

She has a BSc Hon in Interior Design & an HND in Architecture - degree'd up to her eyeballs.

But she works in neither and what she does now isn't on the list.

However, she does have the qualifications she just has qualifications in two things that are impossible to get jobs in Scotland with.

But could she get in ...

It doesn't look at all easier to be honest. Qualifications are rarely enough to get a skilled migrant visa, work experience is required other than for one or two exceptions, like accountancy where qualification is enough.

Unfortunately it doesn't look straightforward for you either, the skills assessment for the first management job you mention is incredibly hard to pass and at 26, I doubt you will have the level of experience that they will expect.

It is often the case that people will manage their own application quite easily, but that is for straight forward cases and yours is not one of those. A consultation with an agent would clarify whether you have a path ahead and if it is under one of those management codes, then I would certainly look to get an agent to help through the first step, which is skills assessment.

I wonder if a business visa would be better for you than skilled migration though, your business would need to have substantial turnover though, does it?

I wonder if a business visa would be better for you than skilled migration though, your business would need to have substantial turnover though, does it?

Certainly something to consider but I would personally exhaust other avenues first before looking into a business visa, especially if going alone.

Your circumstances are complex and not obvious.

I personally would strongly recommend you use a good agent. Yes you will pay for using one, but because your case is so complex it is likely to be a lot cheaper than making an error - you lose the fees. As Adam has already been posting on this thread I suggest you call him. He is well regarded.

We have spoke about it for long enough and now we have decided we are going to make a move down under.

Have spoken to Migration Agents but whilst they all say much the same thing - some miss things out and some add in new things that previously you hadn't thought about.

About ourselves: it's just myself (26) and my wife (33) - we have no dependents or anything like it and we live outside Glasgow.

I have been a company Managing Director (111111 Code) (of a company I own) for the past three years prior to that I was a Sales Manager (131112) and that's about my career history. However, both are "on the list".

But that's all we know. I had one migration agent saying I would need letters from suppliers to the business, and to get some clients to sign testimonies that the company had worked for them, and for a statement from the company accountant and solicitor to state that I am who I say I am and that they are the company accountant and blah blah - to be honest the thing that puts me off there is turning up and asking clients to sign such statements - it's not something I want to discuss with anyone really, let alone clients.

We know you need to complete an Expression of Interest and go through Skillselect but to be honest, there's so much information online that nothing really clearly tells you do this, this, that and this, in this order, unless you pay someone £2,500 for the privilege of being your "Migration Agent."

If we need to then we'll spend it but I quite like that idea of keeping that money to myself. I've got awful good at filling forms in over the years and I reckon I could probably just about manage.

If anyone can shed any light on what to do first, and how to do it then we would much appreciate it.

Also, if you think we should just use a migration agent and not be such tight jocks then let me know and I'll get my chequebook out if it really is impossible to do it yourself.

Cheers.

AIM would fail Bill gates.

From what you have posted, you might not fare better.

Speaking to migration agents unlikely to be productive, the best you might hope for is an indication that your case is worth a full assessment. In your circumstances you would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent for a detailed written assessment of your visa prospects.

If you are not inclined to obtain the necessary documentary evidence to support your claims the best you can hope for is a request for further information.

Here is a clause from our standard service agreement:

1. If we have not received supporting documents or application forms, or information that have been requested by us or another party we will use our professional judgment and continue in your best interests, provided we have the core documents required for valid applications to be lodged. If the DIBP (Australian immigration) request further documents they will specify a date by which these documents must be submitted. If any authority requests further documents or information we will follow your instructions about seeking an extension of time. In any case if we do not receive a satisfactory response within three months of a request for further instructions or documents, at our absolute discretion, we will mark your file inactive, bill you for our professional fees and disbursements to date and send you a Statement of Account. Clause 24 of this agreement will apply and this service agreement will then cease to have effect.

Have fun

Guest DeanBarr

Anything assessed by the AIM is an impossibility really - I have learned that they are so stringent it's unbelievable.

I have enough money to go on a business visa as I discussed that with the agent but then there's the pressure of having to remain working in your own business in Australia and I have no desire for that.

I may retrain as a Teacher - that believe it or not seems the easiest option.

Anything assessed by the AIM is an impossibility really - I have learned that they are so stringent it's unbelievable.

I have enough money to go on a business visa as I discussed that with the agent but then there's the pressure of having to remain working in your own business in Australia and I have no desire for that.

May I suggest that you pick one of the registered migration agents who regularly posts on this forum and get yourself on the right bus?

But you can go out to Oz on a BV and do something else besides what you do in the UK, would that not be of interest?

But you can go out to Oz on a BV and do something else besides what you do in the UK, would that not be of interest?

I think business visas come in two stages. During the initial stage, the visa holder has to build up their business, employ Australians etc and only then progress to a permanent visa.

I think business visas come in two stages. During the initial stage, the visa holder has to build up their business, employ Australians etc and only then progress to a permanent visa.

Pumpkin that is the visa that we are going for and yes you are right, it is only a temp visa for 4 years with set criteria having to be met before PR will be considered. Nothing in life is guaranteed I know, but if you can start up & maintain a successful business in the UK for x years then you should have enough confidence in yourself to do it again elsewhere imo. Unless of course it was too stressful or not successful enough that you want to do it again lol.

Pumpkin that is the visa that we are going for and yes you are right, it is only a temp visa for 4 years with set criteria having to be met before PR will be considered. Nothing in life is guaranteed I know, but if you can start up & maintain a successful business in the UK for x years then you should have enough confidence in yourself to do it again elsewhere imo. Unless of course it was too stressful or not successful enough that you want to do it again lol.

Not me you need to tell, it is OP that doesn't want to do that.

Archived