Police checks - anybody have any offences picked up?

aconcannon

My husband and I are just about to do our police checks for our 189 visa & I wondered if anybody has had any issues with it?

My husband is the main applicant on our visa & about 7 years ago he had to attend court for a driving related offence - he got points & a fine but no driving ban, however I'm pressuring this will show on his police check as a spent conviction? Am I right? We're worried it might in some way go against us? Has anybody else had stuff on their police check that they've had to provide additional info for / had their visa delayed or rejected because of it?? Please help!

Guest Andy

I had a £400 fine and 6 points for a single speeding offence for which I went to court just a year before we plied for visas and had no issues whatsoever

That's good to know Andy, I've been worried sick. Ours are due back any day now my hubby said he had to do 80 hours community service for his, but he was also in court many moons ago for fighting with a neighbour, worried that his past might scuffle our plans for Oz aarrgh

Guest Andy
Thanks for all your replies - reassuring nobody has been penalised for having driving convictions. Did anybody have to provide extra info or get pulled up on it?!

No to both, you will be fine

Flat pack cheers for your reply. When you say cautioned did you go to court or just get dealt with at the station? I thought stuff only shows up on your police check if you've been to court over the offence?? How long after your incident was it when you had your police check done?

Thanks for starting this thread aconcannon, I am feeling less stressed about the outcome of my hubbies police check, he has informed me that he used to be a bad lad in his younger days but nothing major. Fingers crossed and praying [emoji12]

Cautions are recorded as they are an admission of guilt even they are not a conviction. Different offences stay on for different lengths of time 10, 15, 20 or sine die depending on their severity. If something is due to come off after 10 years and you do something else at 9 years then the clock starts again.

Mine caution was nearly nine years old and has more than likely gone by now as I have been a good lad.

I also had a conviction for smashing a window and for swearing on public transport ( I was a right tear away lol) these two did not show on my Police check but I still declared them.

My co never referred to anything that I declared or that showed on the check.

Thanks for starting this thread aconcannon, I am feeling less stressed about the outcome of my hubbies police check, he has informed me that he used to be a bad lad in his younger days but nothing major. Fingers crossed and praying [emoji12]

As long as they were declared on the application, it'll be ok. The problem arises when they've not been declared on the application then come up on the police checks

They were declared, but the one from years and years ago he couldn't remember dates or the exact charge so I just put on altercation with a neighbour more than 10 years ago so hope that was ok

If they need more info they'll ask, but it's on the form and may come up on the police check - the two will marry up.

They were declared, but the one from years and years ago he couldn't remember dates or the exact charge so I just put on altercation with a neighbour more than 10 years ago so hope that was ok

That sounds sensible. It would only be a problem if you had tried to leave something out or downplay a serious matter into something less serious.

Archived