A small list of random but important questions (to me at least :) thanks!

Fishenka

Hi all, I would be most grateful for some info on the following:

1. is is there an amazon equivalent in Aus (that not just sells books and dvd's but does everything from nappies to iPads)?

2. What's the best baby/toy store in Sydney or ideally online that delivers?

3. Is it easy to find a long term rental for 6 month or is everything long term rented for a year min?

4. Do you have to provide packed lunches in all nurseries in Aus or does it just depend on the quality of the nursery?

thank you! :)

4. I have had two children in day care and the answer is 'yes' you will have to pack lunches (and morning / afternoon tea) for day care. A few years ago I did use a day care centre that provided the meals - it was run by the Uniting Church and it was wonderful! Also, unless you send your children to a very expensive private school that have boarders and provide hot lunches, you will be making packed lunches for many, many years to come unless you want to buy your children food from the tuck shop. I am so envious of my family and friends in the UK who just have to pay a few pounds each day for a hot meal.

1. is is there an amazon equivalent in Aus (that not just sells books and dvd's but does everything from nappies to iPads)?

Yes, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com :)

3. Is it easy to find a long term rental for 6 month or is everything long term rented for a year min?

6 months used to be the norm but seems to be moving towards 12 month leases more often. I think 6 months is still available sometimes and it may depend on demand for the property.

4. Do you have to provide packed lunches in all nurseries in Aus or does it just depend on the quality of the nursery?

The majority of day care centres require a packed lunch but not all. Not sure that there is a correlation between the quality of the child care and providing food though.

1. You can buy from the normal Amazon sites. There is a $1000 import limit in Australia before you have to pay import tax/GST, which is far more generous than the UK. I use Amazon US to buy all sorts of things, and shipping is often free or very reasonable.

2. There is ToysRUs, also BigW, Target and KMart do baby/kid stuff. Depends on what you are looking for.

3. We had to sign an initial 6 month contract, and then it went on to monthly. This was 5 1/2 years ago though, so things may have changed.

4. It probably differs from day care to day care. The day care that our girls went to prior to school provided lunch and afternoon tea, but we had to send a piece of fruit for morning tea. The nursery had a chef who would sort out the menu for each week and cook the meals. It was a very good nursery though.

I've found the selection of items that will actually ship to Australia on Amazon to be pretty abysmal, though, FYI. 80% of the time when I want something, it doesn't ship here. And don't be fooled by the "Global" tickbox - just because it's Global-eligible STILL doesn't mean it will necessarily ship here. :(

Guest Guest 47403
4. I have had two children in day care and the answer is 'yes' you will have to pack lunches (and morning / afternoon tea) for day care. A few years ago I did use a day care centre that provided the meals - it was run by the Uniting Church and it was wonderful! Also, unless you send your children to a very expensive private school that have boarders and provide hot lunches, you will be making packed lunches for many, many years to come unless you want to buy your children food from the tuck shop. I am so envious of my family and friends in the UK who just have to pay a few pounds each day for a hot meal.

Trust me don't be envious even after a recent Jamie Oliver campaign the standard of school meals is very poor everything is done to a strict budget, we chose to do packed meals as that way you know what your kids are eating often its only the kids whose parents receive benefits (therefore free school meals) use the school meal facility.

2. What's the best baby/toy store in Sydney or ideally online that delivers?

thank you! :)

1. Everyone in Oz uses Amazon.com as it's cheaper than buying in Oz even with the postage and foreign exchange conversion fees.

2. I'm not in Sydney but Baby Bunting (babybunting.com.au) is the best baby store I've come across. It's a national chain and yes, they deliver.

3. All the good properties (the ones you'd actually be willing to live in) seem to be on a 12 month min.

4. At my son's child care you were actually prohibited from providing a packed lunch (they were terrified of the risk there might be a peanut hidden in there) and all food (even Birthday Cakes) had to be provided by the nursery.

Thanks a lot everyone!

nice to know that things shipped from America are cheaper than in oz even with taxes and shipping :-/

as per packed lunches... Ouch, but I guess in a way better than chips every single day of the year from the canteen...

Archived