Employer nomination scheme vs 457

Pommy Mark

Hi again guys

well I'm in a bit of a pickle. Firstly I was supposed to start study in November with a 40 hour contract, that was the original aimed plan. After today I have been offered a full time position with my work. They have told me that they are creating a new role based on my skill set however have to advertise it due to regulations etc.

they seem to have my best intentions at heart however they just seem a bit ill informed. My whv is finished in early oct but they wanna change it over for a work visa ASAP with a permanent contract.

Now Ive heard loads about sponsorship 457 visas and the skilled occupation list etc however looking at the immigration website there seems to be more than one work visa. I've just looked at the employer nominated scheme visa; can anyone tell me the difference? Can anyone help me decide which visa would/ should they nominate me for

Like I said the role is being designed based on my skillset if that even matters I'm not sure . Man this is a hard process, I'd rather just study lol

thanks guys

If you and your employer meet the requirements for ENS then go for that. If you are happy having a temporary visa with no long term security, go for the 457.

Your employer has many criteria to meet before they can sponsor anyone.

Sounds like both you and your employer need professional advice from a migration agent.

As I said on another post this is really best done via a consultation with an agent, especially if you specifically state you've found it hard so far. I'm happy to help but I would need to ask a few questions:

What is it you do? What qualifications do you hold? How many years experience (post-qualification) do you have in your occupation? How old are you? What citizenship(s) do you hold? Any health issues? Character issues? What are your plans for the future? Do you have a partner or dependants? What does the company do? What base salary are they offering you? How long have you been working with them for? How long are they willing to employ you for? Would your role be unique or is anyone else working in a comparable position? How long has the company been in operation? How much is their total payroll over the last 12 months? How much did they spend on training their Australian employees? What kind of training was it? Have they got any Apprentices/Trainees/Recent Graduates? What's their wage? Do they employ any trainers? What's their job description? Do they have any internal training plans? Can I see an example? Does the business have the financial capability to meet its sponsorship obligations? Are they prepared to meet those obligations? What's their organisation structure like? Do they have any other associated entities? Are they aware of the training and other obligations? Are they willing to meet them?

They have told me that they are creating a new role based on my skill set however have to advertise it due to regulations etc.

This would only be the case for some occupations if applying for a 457 visa or and in some cases for an RSMS application.

they seem to have my best intentions at heart however they just seem a bit ill informed. My whv is finished in early oct but they wanna change it over for a work visa ASAP with a permanent contract.

Your working holiday visa may finish in October but will you reach your 6 months work limitation before this time?

Now Ive heard loads about sponsorship 457 visas and the skilled occupation list etc however looking at the immigration website there seems to be more than one work visa. I've just looked at the employer nominated scheme visa; can anyone tell me the difference? Can anyone help me decide which visa would/ should they nominate me for

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa is for Permanent Residency and will take longer to process. You will also have to meet a higher skill level requirement including skills assessment.

Like I said the role is being designed based on my skillset if that even matters I'm not sure . Man this is a hard process

This is irrelevant. The position will need to be an occupation on the relevant list and meet various requirements such as Market Rate, TSMIT, ect, depending on which visa is applied for.

This would only be the case for some occupations if applying for a 457 visa or and in some cases for an RSMS application.

Your working holiday visa may finish in October but will you reach your 6 months work limitation before this time?

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa is for Permanent Residency and will take longer to process. You will also have to meet a higher skill level requirement including skills assessment.

This is irrelevant. The position will need to be an occupation on the relevant list and meet various requirements such as Market Rate, TSMIT, ect, depending on which visa is applied for.

Great advice Raul very informative

However I'm bamboozled. My occupation is on the csol list and I meet the qualifications however if they are creating a new role to include my skill sets it just seems so complicated

Thank you Adam

can I ask if my occupation is on the csol list and they are gearing the new position more towards this and my skill set will that help?

Nobody knows what your occupation is, or anything else about your situation, that's the point I'm trying to make. We can sit here clutching at straws, guessing and making assumptions, but it's a massive waste of time for everyone involved and doesn't give you the information you need.

Nobody knows what your occupation is, or anything else about your situation, that's the point I'm trying to make. We can sit here clutching at straws, guessing and making assumptions, but it's a massive waste of time for everyone involved and doesn't give you the information you need.

Right ok understood

Im a qualified English teacher of those who use English as a second language . I meet the qualification criteria posted on this link

https://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/t/teacher-of-english-to-speakers-of-other-languages.htm#SKIL

i work for one of the big unis here in Sydney

Right ok understood

Im a qualified English teacher of those who use English as a second language . I meet the qualification criteria posted on this link

https://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/t/teacher-of-english-to-speakers-of-other-languages.htm#SKIL

i work for one of the big unis here in Sydney

Sounds as if you might be getting chased up a wattle. If not you would probably be ok for a sponsored visa.

Are these two one and the same people? seems quite a few similarities... reading this thread reminded me of the other... could be wrong, just throwing it out there.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/education/204878-student-visa.html

And this one...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/208811-sponsorship-but-no-degree.html

Even if not connected, prob most of same advice applies as both talk about esl quals, sponsorship etc.

So you have a teaching degree? Can we assume they're offering you a teaching position?

no not a teaching degree but the relevant amount of experience and relevant qualifications for the position.

this is where the skills set come in.they are advertising that the employee will need to speak certain languages which I can

Sounds as if you might be getting chased up a wattle. If not you would probably be ok for a sponsored visa.

lol I hv no idea what a wattle is but hopefully I'm not getting chased up it

Are these two one and the same people? seems quite a few similarities... reading this thread reminded me of the other... could be wrong, just throwing it out there - f

no not the same person however some interesting replies in the other threads.

On another note I have an appointment with the vc again today so hopefully he will be able to shed some light as to what is their process/ idea as I'm just so confused. It seems like I'm qualified but who knows, really hope so

any other advice will always be appreciated but just like to say thank you so far

Rather than just saying "no it's not a teaching degree" how about stating what kind of degree it is? That kind of information would be helpful.

Big time waste. My recommendation would be both you and the Uni go and get some professional advice.

Is it for an administration type role?

Its for a teaching position which is on the csol list.

After the meeting today though I was told that it doesn't have to exactly be the same as the one on the list. Is this correct?

One thing I did forget to ask is something regarding documentation. Will I be asked to provide of my GCSE results?

Ill have age to find them but will the certificates that had to have GCSEs to take be enough ? If not I better get on the case

@Ethan 83

From someone going through the migration process now, if you are not prepared or in a position (for whatever reason) to take professional advice, I would recommend you do some investigation through the Australian Government Immigration website as to visa types. All the information is there to get you started. Then, once you've effectively researched your own position, I have found that PIO is a great resource for asking specific questions about very specific aspects of the immigration process.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Guest littlesarah

The uni I work for has staff deal with sponsorship, & I would expect that all institutions would, given the international nature of research & academic collaboration. I'd suggest you either contact an agent off your own bat or ask to speak to the relevant person in HR. I'm sure the VC is very knowledgeable in their field (& where I work wouldn't be personally involved in recruitment below Head of School level), but in my experience it is the HR team that have to sort out the nuts & bolts of appointing new staff so I think it would probably be in your best interest to have them involved from the outset.

The uni I work for has staff deal with sponsorship, & I would expect that all institutions would, given the international nature of research & academic collaboration. I'd suggest you either contact an agent off your own bat or ask to speak to the relevant person in HR. I'm sure the VC is very knowledgeable in their field (& where I work wouldn't be personally involved in recruitment below Head of School level), but in my experience it is the HR team that have to sort out the nuts & bolts of appointing new staff so I think it would probably be in your best interest to have them involved from the outset.

I agree, the Uni I work for were well versed in the visa process - they sorted both my 457 and 186 very easily. The HR staff know exactly what theyre doing.

A lot of the respondents to you are migration agents and therefore you are not getting straight answers presumably because they are afraid to give you wrong advice without knowing all the facts.

I am not a migration agent, don't have all the facts and therefore please bear in mind my advice could be completely wrong :) The disclaimer on the forum makes it clear this is not a place to get professional advice - if you do want that you will generally have to pay - you can often get an initial assessment free though, we did from 'OE' (or Overseas Emigration).

To answer your primary question of ENS v 457 - the major difference is ENS is sponsorship for permanent residence whereas 457 is essentially a work permit for up to 4 years. If you have a choice then ENS sounds like the better option, once you have it should you lose your job for some reason you could stay in Australia indefinitely and look for another.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx

On a 457 should you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another before leaving Australia.

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/48b-temporary-business-visa.htm

But for a ENS visa you will need a successful skills assessment by VETASSESS - this could be a challenge if you do not have a degree - although it depends on the qualifications you do have and the level of experience - it suggests with 5 years experience you may not need a degree.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/asri/teachers-of-english-to-speakers-of-other-languages.aspx

Although a formal skills assessment isn't usually required for a 457, you do still need to be suitably qualified for the role - a assume a TEFL qualification and some experience would suffice (whereas it probably wouldn't for an ENS)

I am still giggling about the 'wattle' comment - it is ubiquitous in WA and we have a family song that goes something like 'I wonder what a, I wonder what a wattle is wonder what a, I wonder what a wattle is' repeat ad infinitum and I will be all day now - my son is called Ethan too (although if he was on PIO I guess he'd be Ethan03 :) he definitely knows what wattle is though :))

Archived