Will I be on to a (Dar)winner?

Austrial

Hi, I have never been to Australia. I have taken up a job in Darwin and hope to be there this August. I have read a lot about NT and Darwin on the net, and like any other place, there are mixed reviews. However, the consensus seems to be: friendly people, cosmopolitain community, wonderful outdoors, extreme weather (dry or wet) and soberingly expensive. Is it Australia's Angel of the North? Am I on to a Darwinner? Thanks for your comments, tips and thoughts.

Darwin is very different to when I visited it these days. I have friends who have visited and they say that the city is very Asian now and I guess that is because its just a hop step and a jump to our Asian neighbours. We do have members who live there but have not seen them post for quite a while. If you have a look through the old posts using the search facility you may find out more information. Not a place for me though, too hot too humid and too far away

I spent 5 days there last year and really enjoyed it. I hadn't returned to Darwin for over 33 years. Back then it was still rebuilding from Cyclone Tracy and it had lost most of its trees and vegetation. Now it is green and lush and is a thriving modern city. Housing both to buy and rent is very expensive and you need a place with a pool. The beaches look nice but you can't swim there because of stingers and crocs. It feels very isolated from the rest of Oz (four and a half hours to Melbourne) but it's only one and a half hours from Bali which is close enough to go for a weekend. Good luck.

I went through Darwin after Cyclone Tracy on my way to Kununurra and had to get special permission to go in, it was devastated nothing standing just about.

I always think its a shame swimming is off the agenda up around there but unfortunately there are a lot of salties around.

I have taken up a job in Darwin and hope to be there this August. I have read a lot about NT and Darwin on the net, and like any other place, there are mixed reviews. However, the consensus seems to be: friendly people, cosmopolitain community, wonderful outdoors, extreme weather (dry or wet) and soberingly expensive. Is it Australia's Angel of the North? Am I on to a Darwinner? Thanks for your comments, tips and thoughts.

The summer weather is the big killer. It's HOT and it rains, all the time. Because it's so humid, the sweat won't evaporate from your skin so it's most unpleasant, unless you're either in air-conditioning or in the pool (you can't swim in the sea - stingers and crocs). Everything in your wardrobes will go mouldy.

On the plus side, the dry season is glorious. Vivid clear blue skies, not a drop of rain, and as the waters recede the rangers will clear the crocs out so you can go swimming in the champagne waters at Litchfield national park, and you'll be close enough to visit some of the great outback areas that Australia is famous for.

Hello again and congratulations on your job here in Darwin.

I have a long association with the place. First visited as a tourist in 1992 (hated it)!, then here on a working hol visa in 1994 before emigrating in 1997. Spent 11 years here, and returned at the beginning of this year after nearly 6 years away.

What can I say about the place? It's certainly different! Very unlike the other Australian cities. This may work to your advantage having never been to Aus before, you won't be comparing as much.

Firstly the good stuff: It's very a easy going sort of place, very friendly and laid back. Great scenery, sunsets, national parks, waterfalls, fishing, beautiful harbour, lots of free stuff for families.

The challenges of living here? Number 1 would be the climate. We have 2 seasons, wet and dry. Wet season is very humid and sticky, doesn't rain every day, if it does rain it will be a late afternoon downpour which is incredibly refreshing. The only time we get a few days rain is usually on the back end of a tropical low or cyclone. We're currently in the dry season which is beautiful. Similar temperatures but low humidity, lots of lovely breezes. Worse time is October/November known as the build up before the wet kicks in. Very oppressive.

Someone mentioned mouldy wardrobes. I remember that, used to put buckets with crystals which absorbed the moisture but most houses now have split aircon which means that's not much of a problem now.

I always say if you can stomach the climate here, it's a great place to live.

We have a few nasties- the crocs mean that any waterway is out of bounds (there are designated safe swimming holes around though) but any rivers or billabongs would be a definite no. Also, the box jellyfish mean you can't swim in the sea during the wet and only with caution in the dry. I don't go in although I did learn to scuba dive in Darwin harbour some years ago!

Housing - very expensive compared to rest of Oz. We're currently renting in the northern suburbs and paying $800 a week for a 4 bed, fully aircon with pool. Sometimes there is a shortage of decent properties to rent although I believe this has eased from the situation a few years ago.

Darwin has experienced phenomenol growth over the last 10 years. I hardly recognised the CBD skyline when I returned this year! There is a huge gas plant being developed at Blayden point so lots of construction workers here. Also have all 3 armed forces with bases in Darwin. This all makes it a fairly transient population at times.

Regarding housing, the city has lots of apartments, then there's the northern suburbs which are for the most part very nice. Then there's Palmerston which is growing by the day. Lots of new properties down there but tend to be smallish blocks.

Shopping - there is 1 main shopping centre at Casuarina, then a smaller one at Palmerston and more local shops in the suburbs. It's not the place for shopping enthusiasts! We don't have Myers or David Jones department stores here but I find it has everything I need.

Healthwise, plenty of GP's etc. 1 main hospital and a small private hospital adjacent in Tiwi. Plans are underway to build another hospital in Palmerston in the next few years.

Schools - don't know if you have a family but can provide info if relevant?

And you already know we had the Wiggles visit us!

Thanks Lucharmily for taking the trouble to write a detailed overview. I will be coming on my own first and if things go well my OH and kids (2) will join me. I am considering Essington Primary School. I will probably struggle with the heat and humidity, but I take it that most places have aircon and fans. I am resigned to spending more on electricity, but it is similar to the high gas bills in the UK in winter, I suppose. Thanks again.

What can I say about Darwin ????

Well Ive been here 3.5 years now.If I am honest I will be glad to leave.

As has already been said housing is hugely overpriced.Shopping is very limited.Medical is very hit and miss.Anything too complicated is transferred to other major cities.One of my ops was done in Brisbane my next one is being done in Adelaide.

The social issues are very prominent.Crime is on the rise rapidly.

Visually the place is stunning.The markets are fun at first but soon become quite boring.You can watch only so many sunsets at Mindil Markets.

We are very isolated from the rest of Oz.Flying anywhere from Darwin is very expensive.

Electric prices just keep rising with another rise due in January.In 12 months mine has gone from $600 every 3 months to $1200 !!!!! that's 2 adults in a 4 bedroom house with inground spa.

Hi JTPQ, blimey that is really expensive - 4800 AUD per year on electricity alone! I am sweating already, without actually moving to Darwin! This is the UK version of build up...mounting apprehension:wacko: before my big move!

Thanks, will do. Hopefully, we will have some reviews from Darwinians before then!

G'day mate, The Darwin and the Top End of the NT is a massively wonderful place to live, IF you are outgoing and can handle sub equatorial humidity in the Wet.

Been going there virtually every year for the last 45 years and never tire of it.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bob, that is reassuring; although I may struggle with the sweltering heat initially. Every place has pros and cons, and these differ from each person's perspective. Hopefully my gamble (considering I have handed my resignation notice in the UK, am in the process of selling our house without actually having visited Oz - let alone Darwin...when I see this written down it feels insane:chatterbox:) will pay off!

im talking from a backpackers experience here but I loved it. I also ended up staying for 7 months so got to experience wet and dry season. There isn't really a day where I ever saw below 30 but you do get used to it. Don't get me wrong there was nothing worse than getting ready for work in the morning in the luxury of aircon to walk outside and feel as if you were still wet from the shower but when the weather is dry its glorious.

In all the places I travelled in oz, I really fell in love with Darwin. I felt it was a very young and vibrant city, I was 26 when I arrived and we were backpacking and up for an adventure and Darwin delivered that for us. However, drive an hour out of the city and its totally different. Litchfield was amazing. I did a bus tour and also camped and had such a great time. We also went to the natural springs that were used during the war for the soldiers to relax (someone else will pop in with the name!)

Can't help you with rent and bills etc as I was in a hostel (probably paid more than most folks rent!) but I did find it more expensive for groceries etc than anywhere else.

Get yourself some great aircon and you'll be loving life!

Oh and the thunderstorms are something else!! Especically if you are in one of the tower flats, you will see for miles!! Some of the craziest storms iv ever seen and I was there for a cyclone warning!

im talking from a backpackers experience here but I loved it. I also ended up staying for 7 months so got to experience wet and dry season. There isn't really a day where I ever saw below 30 but you do get used to it. Don't get me wrong there was nothing worse than getting ready for work in the morning in the luxury of aircon to walk outside and feel as if you were still wet from the shower but when the weather is dry its glorious.

In all the places I travelled in oz, I really fell in love with Darwin. I felt it was a very young and vibrant city, I was 26 when I arrived and we were backpacking and up for an adventure and Darwin delivered that for us. However, drive an hour out of the city and its totally different. Litchfield was amazing. I did a bus tour and also camped and had such a great time. We also went to the natural springs that were used during the war for the soldiers to relax (someone else will pop in with the name!)

Can't help you with rent and bills etc as I was in a hostel (probably paid more than most folks rent!) but I did find it more expensive for groceries etc than anywhere else.

Get yourself some great aircon and you'll be loving life!

Oh and the thunderstorms are something else!! Especically if you are in one of the tower flats, you will see for miles!! Some of the craziest storms iv ever seen and I was there for a cyclone warning!

Berry Springs to the south of The Darwin and Howard Springs to the east. Incidentally, Howard Springs has some monster barramundi, if you like to see huge fish. Both totally good and quiet suburbs.

Cheers, Bobj.

Aaaahhhhh......Darwin for me is a very special place. Similar experience to Lynsey and I think it is the REAL Australia. I think now I have kids I might find it harder simply because I am less easy going and I like things to be simple and easy now. That said modern technology will have made many things easier like the clothes not going mouldy.

I have a very romantic view of the place from when I was first there in 95. When I visited again in 2001 the place had changed so much I am not sure if I would like it now! All the corrugated metal roofed buildings had gone and shiny new blocks and hotels were in place.

I was very ill in Darwin and on my own. Strangers helped me and I will never forget the people there. When I arrived, I felt like I was home even though I had never been there before.

if you go outside of the city you can experience something similar to Africa (I imagine as I have never been to Africa) but without many of the dangers (apart from crocs et al).

This will be an amazing experience for you. Enjoy!

Archived