Teaching in Australia

jack13

Guest guest30085

Yes you do ....

I believe several Universities offer an appropriate course, it's the Bachelor of Science in Bull and Sh***

Thought you were going to be a hairdresser last week! Only train to be a teacher, especially a primary teacher, if you are passionate about teaching. For primary you need a first degree then a PGCE - only one degree. Aus universities do things differently which is why you are confused about secondary teaching. They are broader than UK degrees (and a year longer) and you do major and minor subjects which are considered university training for secondary teaching although some people do double degrees

Do you need to have degrees in two subjects to be a primary school teacher? Or just a degree in one subject and a PGCE?

You need either a three year degree followed by a PGCE in Primary Education OR a four year Primary Education Degree.

Be aware that if you follow the three year degree followed by PGCE route that some states are very stringent about what units you must study in the three year degree.

Thought you had decided to be a hairdresser?

You need either a three year degree followed by a PGCE in Primary Education OR a four year Primary Education Degree.

Be aware that if you follow the three year degree followed by PGCE route that some states are very stringent about what units you must study in the three year degree.

So if I did my drama degree for three years and then primary teaching in the PGCE instead of secondary, I would get in providing everything stays the same??

Because drama and secondary teaching wont work as they need you to teach two subjects.

Question 1. Ok so drama degree and PGCE = Primary teacher = State sponsorship (Because skilled independent requires it to be a skill 1 and it is not) = visa if things stay the same?!

Question 2. If you get state sponsorship does that mean you can do any job or just the job you came over to do?

Question 3. which SS lists is primary teaching on?

Stringent? Would it be then when in terms of getting the visa a primary teacher with a drama degree as their three year degree would be less likely to get a visa than someone with a maths degree say and then their PGCE?!

You know you can google all this and find the information and it will be quicker than asking someone as it will be instant. I thought you decided on hairdressing? I think that's the better route tbh. I was going to do the course with you.........

Yes I have just looked at the state sponsorship lists and hairdressing seems far more in demand than primary teaching. So seems the better option plus its not that expensive so i could do the qualification itself in Australia.

You could do it in Perth and we could do it together. I quite fancy learning a new skill and unless there's a massive nuclear fall out, people will always want to have their hair cut!

Sounds good to me! :smile:

I have friends in perth.

Jack, I have just read the thread and I truly worry that you won't make it as a Primary teacher. If one little comment that you don't like causes an outburst of "get of my thread you rude insolent girl", then heaven help you in a class. If you talk to people like this face to face then you'd not last a day in a school setting. A class of 30 children would eat you alive.

If you continue in that vein that you'll quickly find that you have neither the attitude or temperament to be a teacher. Have you even been in a class since leaving school. Have spoken to a teacher or asked to go into a local school to get an idea of the environment. I guess you know about the hours of extra work that you are expected to do after school has finished. Preparing for lessons, marking, levelling, writing reports. Sometimes working until gone midnight just to make sure that you are ready for the next morning.

I have been a Primary School teacher for the past seven years and taught in secondary before that. Its tough but brilliantly rewarding, seeing a child succeed in something that they could do before. Hoping that you've made a difference to their lives. Being a teacher is a vocation and not just a job. Also doing a PGCE is a year of hell. All the teaching, marking, preparing, levelling, whilst also completing Uni work on top. You will have not a second to yourself for nine months.

I wish you luck but if teaching is just a means to getting you to Oz then I'd probably go with the hairdressing.

Get off my thread your rude arrogant insolent girl!

I am asking serious questions, my future depends on the answer and you are just on here playing wind ups.

No, your future depends on YOU! None of us and the answers given wether they are helpful or not.

You're the wind up no-one else.

So my plan is-

NZ WHV (to save money for student visa to oz)- Aussie student visa (to study hairdressing)- NZ IEP Visa (to get experience in hairdressing)- Then hopefully the list will stay the same and I can go for SS. In three years I should be sorted, figures crossed!

Archived