Moving To The Gold Coast - Countdown!

dissolvedgirl

Hi all!

So I've been really intrigued to read everyone's reports of moving over to Oz, so I thought I'd start my own countdown thread, detailing all the many trials and tribulations that I'm sure I'll have to go through to get there!

A bit of background first...I'm 24, moving with my Australian OH, and will (hopefully!) go over first on a WH visa, and then get approved/get the ball rolling on a de facto partner visa while I'm out there. We're looking to move our little Persian cat, too, so starting to sort out everything for him (what a costly nightmare!!). The OH will most likely be walking into a job (he's an accountant) and I'm happy to do anything initially, then maybe get some admin/reception work.

Near future goals are:

• Rabies jabs, bloods, and micro-chipping of kitten!
  • Apply and pay for visa (along with getting it approved)
  • And to start my 'get thin for Australia diet.'

Would love to chat to anyone that would be moving to a similar area :)

Helen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're looking at Brisbane, but are staying in Coomera for a couple of weeks when we land (in September). It's me (35), OH (31) and son (16) and our two cats (agree with you about the costly nightmare!)

Good luck with it all. I've been on my 'get thin' diet and, apart from losing a bit before the medicals, have succeeded in being heavier than before I started!!

We're looking at Brisbane, but are staying in Coomera for a couple of weeks when we land (in September). It's me (35), OH (31) and son (16) and our two cats (agree with you about the costly nightmare!)

Good luck with it all. I've been on my 'get thin' diet and, apart from losing a bit before the medicals, have succeeded in being heavier than before I started!!

Just on the medicals I wouldn't worry too much, they're looking for medical issues which will cost the govt a packet, not concerned with a few pounds of weight.

To the OP - the Gold Coast is awesome, but jobs are not tick on the ground.

Dont get too think, its winter here so it helps to hold a little muffin top to keep you warm until summer lol. I live in oxenford and commute to brisbane everyday from helensvale. Some parts of Coomera are better than others, but you need to be here to see them for yourself.

Dissolved girl, whereabouts are you moving too, any advice anyone needs let me know.

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your replies!

In terms of area we're looking to move to, the rentals are all around Burleigh Heads, Varsity Lakes, Miami, and Mermaid Waters, though we're not ruling out Robina as there's plenty of good value property there. What are all your experiences in housing etc?

And I have the fun of a pre-visa medical to come (I'm guessing the procedure would be the same with a de facto partner visa?) but that should all be done once I'm out there, I guess.

And I'm not opposed to getting a job in Brisbane either :) What's the commute time like?

Dont get too think, its winter here so it helps to hold a little muffin top to keep you warm until summer lol. I live in oxenford and commute to brisbane everyday from helensvale. Some parts of Coomera are better than others, but you need to be here to see them for yourself.

Dissolved girl, whereabouts are you moving too, any advice anyone needs let me know.

Hiya - out of interest, how do you commute in from Helensvale and how long does it roughly take?

Has your OH got a job lined up?

If not I wouldnt say he will 'walk into a job"

We live on the gold coast and a friend of ours is also an accountant and hes certainly not 'walked into a job" hes currently on a temp contract

Hi!

Sorry, should've specified, the OH grew up on the Gold Coast, worked at a firm before he came over here, and is now going back to the firm now he's qualified :)

Thats great news!

Thanks! :)

I hope your friends finds something more perm, also.

I'm not too hopeful about my job prospects over there atm, though. What's the temp situation like over there? Would I be able to get basic admin stuff, or should I look for more bar work/waitressing etc.

Thanks.

Good news for your other half. There's lots of competition for general admin jobs, especially if you want anything part time. I know well qualified people who are having trouble. I wouldn't know about the bar work/waitressing area. Good luck.

Hiya - out of interest, how do you commute in from Helensvale and how long does it roughly take?

We go from Sanctuary Cove (next to Helensvale/Hope Island) every day to Brisbane, I've posted elsewhere about the commute - hang on I'll find the post.

Edit - my post about the commute: - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/212019-gold-coast-area-best-thinking-broadbeach-qld-2.html#post1936519557

Edited by ozziepom

Just moved to Helensvale from Beenleigh. Lived in Oz now for 2 and a half years. The commute to Brisbane by car should take about 45 mins, does get busy during peak hours. Beauty of Helensvale is its proximity to the freeway. The Gold coast is your doorstep and it is a nice area with a good shopping centre. Well worth considering if you are moving tothe Gold Coast.

Hi,

Me and my OH (26) moved to Gold Coast a month ago and are loving it . My OH is a bricklayer and was able to get a job straight away. Im commuting to Brisbane (kangaroo point) takes about 1 hour 15 mins on average, I leave at 6.30 though. We are currently living with his sister in Mudgeeraba, its close to Robina which is really good for shopping etc. When do you move?

Hi,

Me and my OH (26) moved to Gold Coast a month ago and are loving it . My OH is a bricklayer and was able to get a job straight away. Im commuting to Brisbane (kangaroo point) takes about 1 hour 15 mins on average, I leave at 6.30 though. We are currently living with his sister in Mudgeeraba, its close to Robina which is really good for shopping etc. When do you move?

Aww, that's always good to hear! What work are you doing atm? And i'm definitely not opposed to working in Brisbane and commuting from the Gold Coast. What are travel costs like? etc. I'm also looking at getting a little Vespa scooter for zipping around town on the weekends.

And we should be moving in November, fingers crossed!

Does anyone have any idea of what the costs would be in getting a pet (cat) from Sydney to GC? I know the pet travel companies don't include that portion of the journey in their costings...

Helen

We're moving over in September. Moving to Coomera! Would be good to catch up with u. Moving with 10 yr & 18 yr olds!!

So we have officially completed our first step in moving! The kitten went in for his rabies jab, and micro-chipping yesterday. All went well, and he only freaked out in the car on the way there, bless him.

Vet was lovely in assuring us that he would be much calmer in the plane trip there.

So next step is bloods for the cat, and also my WHV.

Yay!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a physio so I'm currently working in a care home up there. They are moving me to the gold Coast this week though which will be a much shorter commute. I've been spending about $100 a week on petrol, my car is quite small though.

We left our cat with friends in the UK, I'm still gutted we didn't bring her. Good luck with the pet companies :-)

Leanne

Edited by stokieHappyInOz

We're also looking at moving to the Gold Coast in the new year! I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on suburbs please... we want to be living somewhere within a 5-10 minute drive of the beach (ideally an apartment with sea views) and we want to be somewhere relatively lively (although not just full of tourists) and within easy reach of the freeway or some public transport for commuting to Brisbane should we struggle to find work in the Gold Coast itself - does anybody have any recommedations please? We're fairly drawn to Main Beach based on research we've done online but then I can't quite cage distances to elswhere from there?!

Thanks

We're also looking at moving to the Gold Coast in the new year! I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on suburbs please... we want to be living somewhere within a 5-10 minute drive of the beach (ideally an apartment with sea views) and we want to be somewhere relatively lively (although not just full of tourists) and within easy reach of the freeway or some public transport for commuting to Brisbane should we struggle to find work in the Gold Coast itself - does anybody have any recommedations please? We're fairly drawn to Main Beach based on research we've done online but then I can't quite cage distances to elswhere from there?!

Thanks

If you do decide to live right in the thick of the Gold Coast, rather than a motorway suburb for easier Brisbane access, you might consider living on the route of G:Link.

glink.png

It opens soon and will run every 7.5 minutes up and down the busiest spine of the Gold Coast:

14537296604_a060ddb858_b.jpg

GCR_06_55 by Stephen Lindburg, on Flickr

If I was moving to an apartment there I would try and find somewhere within walking distance of "The G"...

Broadbeach might be best as it has the bus connection to the Brisbane train for Brisbane Airport and to the Gold Coast Airport bus. Long daily PT trip to Brisbane from there though...only if you were desperate.

Edited by fish.01

I hadn't heard of the new 'G' so than kyou so much for giving me that tip off - really helpful and solves a lot of problems! Thanks again :-)

No worries. Here's my other tip...make sure you visit Springbrook behind the Gold Coast :)

6611356997_de82cff6c7_b.jpg

Natural Bridge - Springbrook National Park by Garry - www.visionandimagination.com, on Flickr

1426480856_6931880c30_b.jpg

VERTIGO! by thetaipan, on Flickr

Edited by fish.01