Moving To The Gold Coast - Countdown!

dissolvedgirl

I, my wife and 6 year old daughter have just moved here from Birmingham. We have found a place to rent in Helensvale. The area is pretty convenient for commuting as close to the M1. Would be nice to meet up with anyone who has moved to the GC.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, that's always good to hear! What work are you doing atm? And i'm definitely not opposed to working in Brisbane and commuting from the Gold Coast. What are travel costs like? etc. I'm also looking at getting a little Vespa scooter for zipping around town on the weekends.

And we should be moving in November, fingers crossed!

Does anyone have any idea of what the costs would be in getting a pet (cat) from Sydney to GC? I know the pet travel companies don't include that portion of the journey in their costings...

Helen

I know this is an old thread but we paid $475 for two dogs to be flown from Sydney to Brisbane from quarantine. SO for one cat it should be less than half of that because the price goes off the size of the crate.

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Supurb info as always - I'm going to explore all of these options this evening and print off this page to show the hubby! We did visit Brisbane for a few days when we backpacked in Aus back in 2008 but we didn't explore much more than the obvious tourist parts so I'm going to start researching! The city beach you have would be a failr ygood sacrifice for the Gold Coast beaches I reckon....?

There is no comparison with the city beach in Brisbane with the beaches of the Gold Coast. On the Gold Coast you have about 60-70 km of fantastic beaches - busy beaches, quiet beaches... something for everyone, but amazing. In Brizzy, there is a small strip city beach probably less than 1km in size and absolutely packed to the rafters. Brizzy has a lot going for it - but beaches isn't one of it's selling points.

Gold Coast city goes all of the way to Logan where it has a boundary with Brisbane city, so the suburbs to the north are actually part of the GC. If by Gold Coast you mean Surfers (which is a common misconception) I don't go there more than once a month and that's usually passing through, but I much prefer my part of the Gold Coast to anywhere I've seen in Brisbane, and I've seen a lot of it, in fact if I didn't have to work in Brisbane I would probably never go there.

Exactly. The Gold Coast covers a large area. Surfers is only one suburb. You can be in Brisbane within an hour from the central mainline stations of the Gold Coast - Helensvale, Nerang, Coomera, Robina etc...

I was actually referring to beaches, not Surfers Paradise. Apologies I worded it badly.

To the bolded, i'm not sure apart from beaches/hinterlands what the Gold coast beats Brisbane for apart from maybe a quieter life? Restauarnts, Sport, Facilities, Culture etc Brisbane wins hands down for me.

Sports, Facilities and Culture I'd give to Brisbane.

Restaurants... Nah, I'd give that to the Gold Coast. Along with night life.

Beaches & Water Sports... Gold Coast by a mile.

Scenery, Outdoor Pursuits... Gold Coast (Nothing in Brisbane matches the GC Hinterland)

Kids stuff... The GC is the capital of Australia for theme parks.

On a day to day basis I prefer the latter and when I want a dose of the former then I hop on a train and am in Brisbane within the hour.

Edited by thegigg5