Aus citizens travelling to the UK on British passports.

Addy

Has anyone had experience of travelling to and from the Uk from Australia on British passports once they are Australian citizens?

Our visas are in our passports and expire in 2016. However we received citizenship last year so in theory those visas are cancelled. I believe that so long as you carry your citizenship papers you can travel on UK passports but I can't get a straight answer out of the Australian passport enquiry line.

Many thanks

I think reading through this on their website it would appear that they are not that open in you just showing a certificate..... there are so many dual nationalities here that would all do it to save the costs and time. Sorry for not being good news....

"Once you have become an Australian citizen any visa you held ceases.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.

If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia. Be very aware that you can pay for your flights etc but at the airport you can be stopped from boarding for not following the right procedure... to how much you have to pay for tickets it would be a shame to be turned away just for a passport. l really feel that you wont be able to do it the way you are thinking of trying, other option is to go to airport and ask someone on one of the counters that deals directly with this everyday.

Has anyone had experience of travelling to and from the Uk from Australia on British passports once they are Australian citizens?

Our visas are in our passports and expire in 2016. However we received citizenship last year so in theory those visas are cancelled. I believe that so long as you carry your citizenship papers you can travel on UK passports but I can't get a straight answer out of the Australian passport enquiry line.

Many thanks

Its easy. Leave on your Aus passport and when you go through immigration entering the UK show the the British one but its best to have both in case there are problems. When you return show them your Aus one

I don't think the OP has Aussie passports and that's why they want to travel on British ones. I personally think it will cause them a whole world of pain when they try to enter Australia.

I don't think the OP has Aussie passports and that's why they want to travel on British ones. I personally think it will cause them a whole world of pain when they try to enter Australia.

I don't think they'd even get on the plane!

I don't think they'd even get on the plane!

This is the main issue. Ultimately, if you rock up in Australia with proof of citizenship and a British passport you will be delayed, but let in.

However when trying to board your flight to Australia the operating airline may very well refuse to carry you. The can electronically determine your eligibility to enter Australia by swiping your passport...a British passport with a cancelled visa is not going to cut it. As they bare the costs of returning you should Australia reject you they may choose to deny your travel.

Thanks all. We aren't planning to travel for another 7 months so plenty of time to get Aus passports. I was hoping it would be simple but obviously not. It's the last hurdle in the whole paper trail that is Australian migration so we had better grit our teeth and do it.

Thanks all. We aren't planning to travel for another 7 months so plenty of time to get Aus passports. I was hoping it would be simple but obviously not. It's the last hurdle in the whole paper trail that is Australian migration so we had better grit our teeth and do it.

It is really simple!

You are now Aussie citizens and as such you get an Australian passport. I don't really see it as a paper trail or being something to grit teeth about.

It is really simple!

You are now Aussie citizens and as such you get an Australian passport. I don't really see it as a paper trail or being something to grit teeth about.

Given that it would cost $1000+ for a family of 4 I think it's understandable.

We hold UK & Australian Passports and find travel easy, use your Aust. passport when leaving and entering Oz, and your U.K passport when entering & leaving the U.K, mark you I had to laugh many years ago when returning to the U.K to show off our youngest child, to our family. The immigration person said you can go through here but she can't our 10th month old who held a Oz passport.

Archived