Which Gold Coast area is best? Thinking of broadbeach, QLD

marie

hi,

could anyone suggest a nice area to live in Gold Coast area for a couple aged 30, intending to start a family.

Thinking of broadbeach area as visited 5years ago and loved it.

where is your employer going to be?

where is your employer going to be?

+1

Where your work will be is the most important thing - if you have work nearby Broadbeach is very nice, but quite touristy, not exactly family oriented though (great for a visit). Unless you work in hospitality or tourism I really wouldn't recommend coming to the Gold Coast in the expectation of finding a job quickly, unless you've researched thoroughly and found plentiful opportunities which match your experience.

Thing is, work opportunities are limited for several professions on the Gold Coast, which is why I live at the North end and commute each day to Brisbane, along with thousands of others.

There are lots of lovely areas to live on the Gold Coast - you may love Broadbeach but it is a tourist destination first and foremost, more residential family areas include Paradise Point, Mermaid Waters, Broadbeach Waters, Robina, Runaway Bay, Currumbin, Burleigh or where I live at Sancuary Cove BUT, just remember unemployment is much higher than average on the Gold Coast.

I wouldnt suggest Broadbeach if you are looking to start a family.

We live in varsity lakes and its a very family area..but pricey for what you get.

If we had our time again I wouldnt have come here until we had a job or job offer in place.

Agree with previous posters, work is hard to come by on the Gold Coast. As an example, my OH is a qualified accountant with over 5yrs experience, work was not forthcoming easily after his original contract ended.

Broadbeach is lovely for a visit with the kids to the beach. we live about 10mins drive away, but I wouldn't suggest it for a family. The other areas mentioned Burleigh, Robina etc have more for families and are much less busy with tourists.

I think a lot of people are attracted to the lifestyle of the Gold and Sunshine Coast. Which is fair enough if you don't need to commute into Brisbane or you are FIFO.

If you are a commuter, think again.

I have one colleague who commutes from Robina to Brisbane and it takes him 2 HOURS each way - he is awake at 4.30am and in bed by 9pm. I have another colleague who lives in North Lakes and commutes into Brisbane. It takes her an hour but she's on the motorway at 5.30am to beat the traffic.

I went to Gold Coast for the weekend a few months ago and we stayed on Broadbeach. It is a tourist spot, full of high rises and hotels, I cannot imagine living there and definitely not starting a family there. Have you actually been? Or are you basing this on a map and reading about it?

I tested the commute to Brisbane when I was on my visa activation trip in January. From Varsity Lakes (last station on the GC line) to Brisbane CBD is about 1hr 10. I found it really easy personally but I appreciate not everyone works in the CBD so train may not be viable.

We're going to settle on the GC coast first as we love it there and see how the first rental contract goes in terms of whether we feel we need to live nearer Brisbane.

In my opinion it depends on your priorities which i have found from many people is generally where their work is and how far their are willing to travel on a daily work commute . If your work is in Brisbane then I would suggest the northern end of the Gold Coast as this will save you alot of time in your daily commute . When people are considering schools they seem to prefer the southern end of the Gold Coast . The Gold Coast I feel is not that a big a place on a weekend and can be enjoyed no matter where you reside .. In my opinion It's not your post code that matters it's yours neighbours

I have one colleague who commutes from Robina to Brisbane and it takes him 2 HOURS each way - he is awake at 4.30am and in bed by 9pm. I have another colleague who lives in North Lakes and commutes into Brisbane. It takes her an hour but she's on the motorway at 5.30am to beat the traffic.

Just some thoughts on the Gold Coast to Brisbane commute, been doing it 3 years now...

We go from the North of the GC, Sanctuary Cove to Brisbane CBD, leave home about 6:30 & takes just over an hour by car, leave work at 4ish home by 5ish, average is an hour. If there's an accident that can double - happens about every 6 weeks, on a very good day it can take 40 mins, but those days are rare, like every 3 months. Robina would add 35km to our journey and I wouldn't do it TBH, Broadbeach is as far but longer to get on the freeway, wouldn't dream of commuting to Bris from there. My journey on the freeway is 30kms fast and manic, then 35kms slow and jammed, it is not a relaxing drive and not like driving on the motorway in the UK, overtaking both sides, rampant tailgating, a good sprinkling of complete nutters.

I see someone mentioned commuting by train, lots do it but its crowded, slow and quite costly. We tried it but gave up on it very quickly, my the time you've parked, got on the train then walked from the station to your office it adds a lot of time to the journey, unless you live next door to one station and work next door to the other. Varsity Lakes to Central is 1:20, and would cost $150 pw, good chance you'll be standing up on the way home too, I honestly think the average door to door time (say where my wife works right in the heart of the CBD) would be getting on for 2 hours each way.

I love the Gold Coast and am not in love with Brisbane, but that's where my work is, I'd pay a pretty penny not to have to do it, but no work for me on the Gold Coast, mainly due to the lack of large corporates there.

I'm just saying don't take the idea of doing the commute lightly, especially from central or (heaven help them) southern GC.

I'm in Helensvale and love the proximity to the motorway. Can't comment on commute to Brisbane but it's a more established area, houses and gardens large, the state high has a good name, can't comment on primary schools.

I'm in Helensvale and love the proximity to the motorway. Can't comment on commute to Brisbane but it's a more established area, houses and gardens large, the state high has a good name, can't comment on primary schools.

I'd love the proximity to wet n wild personally

Hi

We used to live in Helensvale and could travel to Brisbane within an hour. There are some lovely houses there and good facilities. We really liked it. Houses there and at Monterey Keys are good value compared with other areas of the Coast.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Helensvale has some lovely houses at great prices.

I was just wondering if you could tell me a little more about helensvale?

Is there a beach nearby (i pressume we would need to drive? hopefully not too far.

are there shopping centres to do food shopping ect?

...Varsity Lakes to Central is 1:20, and would cost $150 pw...

Good post...just one point in case someone is doing a budget around this it is closer to $133pw if commuting from Varsity Lakes to Central.

Probably not that bad really for 10 x 90km trips :) It is short trips that really bite fare wise imo not the long ones.

Broadbeach would be my #1 pick for you if your job is in that area. Beach, shops, transport, restaurants, central. Most reasonably priced accommodation is in apartment buildings, which will be fine until your first child is 2, after which you'll want to find a house and may need to move to a cheaper suburb.

If you really want a house then Broadbeach is not for you (unless you have cash to burn :) ).

My #2 pick would be Burleigh Heads (if you want to be close to the beach) or Robina (if you don't need the beach).

My advice on commuting Gold Coast to Brisbane is: DON'T! I've been travelling (not commuting) between my place in Brisbane and my parents on the GC for 20+ years. There's nothing good about that commute. I love the GC but there's only three reasons I can see for living on the GC:

1. your job is there

2. you already have family/friends there and you see them every (or every other) day

3. you like to walk/swim/surf at the beach every (or every other) day

If your job is in Brisbane, and you like the beach, I'd be much more inclined to live in Brisbane and go to the beach on the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Archived