Are we being ripped off?

Jameister

Is it me or is coffee overpriced here in WA, Perth region specifically?

I used to live in Sydney and the price of a regular flat White was $3 but here in Perth it seems the norm is $4+ for a regular flat white which to me seems a completely overpriced, where on earth did they come up with a figure like that?

It's almost as if they can get away with it and everyone else is doing it then so shall we.

Personally I think all us coffee drinkers should take a stand, it's outrageous!

Perth does seem to be more expensive for many things. Having said that, there has been a major drought in Brazil which has caused a world wide coffee shortage, so expect to see coffee prices rising everywhere.

Perth does seem to be more expensive for many things. Having said that, there has been a major drought in Brazil which has caused a world wide coffee shortage, so expect to see coffee prices rising everywhere.

Even so, I do think this is overpriced in relation to other states

Even so, I do think this is overpriced in relation to other states

Perth is quite isolated, so you are going to find some things are a bit more pricey due to the additional transportation costs.

My coffee in Sydney is $3.50 wherever I go. I travel to Brisbane a lot and it is usually $4.

Perth is quite isolated, so you are going to find some things are a bit more pricey due to the additional transportation costs.

My coffee in Sydney is $3.50 wherever I go. I travel to Brisbane a lot and it is usually $4.

$3.50 In Sydney wherever you go? I would only get charged this at a few of the more exclusive cafe/establishments but the average was $3.

I wouldn't mind so much if I got a decent coffee but when it's an average half baked cup made by an inexperienced barrister it hurts the pocket :(

Which brings me on to my next subject, where is a decent place to get a coffee?? (At a reasonable price)

Melbourne is still around $3.50 to $4. To be honest I think it's a fair price to pay for a coffee these days. In the Uk you can pay over £2 as a comparison.

So the general consensus is it's just me that has an issue with coffee prices! Something I guess I'll just have to get used to or stop drinking it! :)

Melbourne is still around $3.50 to $4. To be honest I think it's a fair price to pay for a coffee these days. In the Uk you can pay over £2 as a comparison.

There is no comparison though, coffee in the UK is terrible in comparison. I can't find a bad coffee around my area and it varies from $3.50 - $4.00 which makes it a bargain in comparison

There is no comparison though, coffee in the UK is terrible in comparison. I can't find a bad coffee around my area and it varies from $3.50 - $4.00 which makes it a bargain in comparison

This is very true, since coming to OZ I have noticed the coffee is a lot better, so I should really stop complaining I guess!

So the general consensus is it's just me that has an issue with coffee prices! Something I guess I'll just have to get used to or stop drinking it! :)

Where were you getting the $3 coffee's though? I don't recall paying that little when I visit, or were you way out in suburbia?

Where were you getting the $3 coffee's though? I don't recall paying that little when I visit, or were you way out in suburbia?

This was in Sydney CBD, always $3 unless, like I said in more of the exclusive cafés

The common parlance these days that Perth is over priced due to location doesn't hold water. I can recall in the 90s Perth was cheaper to dine out in than either Melbourne or Sydney. Prices were cheaper due to less rent on the business allowing lower costs among other factors.

Perth has always had its nosh houses catering for the rich and bloated. Especially during the corrupt and ostentatious 80s. But still easy to find places to dine out for those on pretty average wages. We used to do twice a week during the 90s.

Coffee can indeed be overpriced. Some cafes are so up themselves they do not display a price list for coffee. These usually tend to charge $4.50 +. I always ask the price in such establishments and do not pay over $4. Which is pretty much the norm, although still too much. If alone I expect all the daily newspapers to be available to read or will not give my custom.

There is a Face Book page Fed Up In Perth, which gives the rip offs and details the good ones as well.

The common parlance these days that Perth is over priced due to location doesn't hold water. I can recall in the 90s Perth was cheaper to dine out in than either Melbourne or Sydney. Prices were cheaper due to less rent on the business allowing lower costs among other factors.

Perth has always had its nosh houses catering for the rich and bloated. Especially during the corrupt and ostentatious 80s. But still easy to find places to dine out for those on pretty average wages. We used to do twice a week during the 90s.

Coffee can indeed be overpriced. Some cafes are so up themselves they do not display a price list for coffee. These usually tend to charge $4.50 +. I always ask the price in such establishments and do not pay over $4. Which is pretty much the norm, although still too much. If alone I expect all the daily newspapers to be available to read or will not give my custom.

There is a Face Book page Fed Up In Perth, which gives the rip offs and details the good ones as well.

At last someone that shares the same, glad to see I'm not the only one!

Agreed, the point I was trying to make, some establishments charge over the priced coffee and can't even make it properly! $4.50 and a crap coffee, come on!

I have found here in Perth and in Sydney, both coffees being bad and not to mention chai lattes, mocha or even hot chocolate - terrible! Been to some cafes in Perth and it is a pity only one cafe so far seems to do a good drink. And in Sydney I would only go to Max Brenner for hot chocolate.

I am not a coffee person myself but I do like other drinks; and wouldnt mind paying $3.50 or bit more but knowing the product will be good, which seems not to be the case. :/

There is a need good quality cafes and baristers, I guess.

I pay around £2.80 for a Costa medium sized coffee in the UK so even if you ignore the 2.2 rule, and base purely on exchange rate then that is over $5 a cup! If you are all saying that Oz coffee is better, then that's another bonus!

Paid 4 quid for one in starbucks las time I visited the UK.................the 7/11 opposite central station in brizzy only charges a dollar and it ain't half bad..............not brilliant but for a dollar it reaches the spot.

Paid 4 quid for one in starbucks las time I visited the UK.................the 7/11 opposite central station in brizzy only charges a dollar and it ain't half bad..............not brilliant but for a dollar it reaches the spot.

Yeah I get a $1 coffee from 7/11 every now and again.

Also the aldi expressi coffee machine is fantastic for the price of the coffee compared to its rivals. Again it doesnt quite compare to one from a coffee shop but its a worthwhile alternative

$3.50 In Sydney wherever you go? I would only get charged this at a few of the more exclusive cafe/establishments but the average was $3.

Yes wherever I go including all those in the foodcourt near the office and the one that is basically a parked cart. I think yes it is you that is maybe unduly worryied about coffee prices.

Guest Guest40285

Yeah we are getting totally ripped off, massively. I had 16 acres of premium coffee and grew a good yeilding crop, Aussie coffee is qaulity compared to the blended crap from Brazil,Africa and other places, we have a smooth coffee here as none of it is grown in high altitude places, believe it or not that affects the taste, anyway as a grower we were paid crap for dry green bean, growers here now unless they can market themselves and roast themselves are bulldozing it out, anyway Coffee shops are getting right up ya, thats a given.

I wouldn't mind so much if I got a decent coffee but when it's an average half baked cup made by an inexperienced barrister it hurts the pocket :(

Which brings me on to my next subject, where is a decent place to get a coffee?? (At a reasonable price)

That's because a barrister will charge you an upfront fee before they will even speak to you!

In Adelaide the coffee price is about 3.50 and we're the 'poor cousin' of the richer eastern states. The price is okay compared with European standard constantly rising.

In Paris it was 5 Euros in 2011 and the worst coffee I've ever had.

The best thing to save is to buy one of this fancy fully automatic coffee machines. The taste is fantastic and goodguys sometimes offers bargains.

Archived