What do migration agents do to earn there money?

snapper123

OK I don't understand why do some of these companies charge so much. We were quoted 4000 euro for help with our partner visa application now I am a bit thick left school no GCSE and always required help is class etc. I did not have that sort of money spare so went it alone .It is only a case of form filling and attaining certain documents and pop in the post and pay if you mess up a bit and the and miss something your CO will let you know and you can then get what you need and send it in .I also Know people who ended up paying 17000 euro :eek:to an agent ? I can understand that in some cases an agent might be required in extreme medical or extreme criminal applications for example. But my question is what would we have got for 4K ?

You would have got peace of mind that your application was perfect and someone to help you fill in the application. It's a bit like saying what do dentists do because I've never needed one and why do they charge so much?

I can't speak to the fees that they charge, 17000 euros seems excessive but you don't know their personal circumstances to be able to say it was too much. There are people on the forums who did use migration agents and people that didn't and some got visas and some didn't. Perhaps for some people, paying that money was worth it for the peace of mind.

Hi!

We used Go Matilda last year (got our PR visa in Jan) as a couple who knew nothing about the visa process and reading about horror stories of people going alone, making mistakes and getting it refused we decided to use an agent as we couldn't afford to mess it up!

We paid around £2200 + VAT (if my memory serves me right) but they were brilliant! This forum is a great help for questions but knowing you have an expert on hand to contact puts your mind at rest, and trust me, i asked looooooads! and they were also so nice and helpful both on the phone and email.

I'm not saving an agent is for everyone but for us it was :-)

You would have got peace of mind that your application was perfect and someone to help you fill in the application. It's a bit like saying what do dentists do because I've never needed one and why do they charge so much?

I can't speak to the fees that they charge, 17000 euros seems excessive but you don't know their personal circumstances to be able to say it was too much. There are people on the forums who did use migration agents and people that didn't and some got visas and some didn't. Perhaps for some people, paying that money was worth it for the peace of mind.

I did not say 17000 was to much you came to you own conclusion regarding the amount . I also have peace of mind no worries what so ever regarding the applicationOf course people get refused with and without a migration agent .My question is (WHAT WOULD A MIGRATION AGENT HAVE DONE IN OUR CASE FOR 4000 EURO) I just don't understand what they could do as we have to fill the forms in etc any way

To be honest I never used or had to use the forum regarding the application as it was simple .I am glad they put your mind at rest for 2.5k but what else was done for the money how was it earned ? I found the immigration website helpful when I needed questions answered and the forms are self explanatory

We do lots!

For applicants it is often all about reducing the risk of the unknown unknowns ... if you know what I mean ... :-)

Best regards.

Sorry I do not understand What unknown unknowns and reducing what risk this sounds like scare tactics

OK, I'm out of this thread ... I'll leave others to pick it up.

Best regards.

Hopefully with an answer to my question. I would just like an answer to my I feel very valid question of which you have refused to answer.So proceed to accuse me of being a troll ?

I'm not sure why it matters what you personally would have got / not got from an agent? You were comfortable doing it on your own and great that it worked out for you. Other people may not feel so comfortable and it's their personal choice if they want to go ahead and pay the fees but bit confused why it's bothering you that much when your visa's a done deal? Each to their own - personally when it comes to doing ours, I will consider using an agent simply because of personal choice, I may decide that we'll do it ourselves but that's not a reflection on the agents that have been kind enough to offer advice so far. I know I'm more than capable of filling in forms so if we do go with one, it would be more for the piece of mind. Enjoy the next stage of your adventure :cute:

Everyone has different opinions but if you have got your visa by doing it yourself not sure why you are questioning what migration agents do?

To me that's a question you ask yourself before you start the visa process, certainly not after you have been granted your visa independently.

Let it go :-)

Personally I did my partner visa myself but my situation was straightforward and I felt confident doing it. Others prefer to have some of the stress handled by someone else, others might have tricky situations or be less confident dealing with the paperwork. I've heard of people being refused visas because a new form was published a few days before they submitted their application, they hadn't noticed a d subsequently had to pay a whole new visa fee, which would've cost more than involving an agent. Immigration call centre in Aus is hopeless and has given me two incorrect pieces of information which could've seen my visa being cancelled if I'd have listened to them.

Each to their own. In the future I'll need DIY work done in my property and will pay a professional to do it to make sure it's done properly. We all get to make these decisions for ourselves without the need to get high and mighty on forums about it.

Personally I did my partner visa myself but my situation was straightforward and I felt confident doing it. Others prefer to have some of the stress handled by someone else, others might have tricky situations or be less confident dealing with the paperwork. I've heard of people being refused visas because a new form was published a few days before they submitted their application, they hadn't noticed a d subsequently had to pay a whole new visa fee, which would've cost more than involving an agent. Immigration call centre in Aus is hopeless and has given me two incorrect pieces of information which could've seen my visa being cancelled if I'd have listened to them.

Each to their own. In the future I'll need DIY work done in my property and will pay a professional to do it to make sure it's done properly. We all get to make these decisions for ourselves without the need to get high and mighty on forums about it.

I am not judging anyone for using a migration agent it is there choice I just asked a simple question regarding our application the reason I asked is 4k seemed like a massive

quote to me so I wondered how it was earned that's all .I did not intend to offended anyone

Guest guest30085

It's all down to personal choice ... if an applicant feels confident enough and has a relatively straightforward case, then yes they can apply by themselves and maybe feel they don't need professional advice. But I know a few people who wanted to apply and had absolutely no understanding of the process whatsoever and would probably have been far better off if they had employed an agent.

Most weeks you can read an account on forums such as these, where an applicant has put in an EOI without obtaining a skills assessment first, or a query on why they can't include their 26 year old 'child' or why they thought they could claim 15 points for a degree when they actually only have a NVQ, or why DIBP won't accept their defacto visa when they've only just met on a holiday etc etc. No offence meant to anyone and I am being flippant, but this process can be a nightmare and unless you are prepared to put in a lot of groundwork to read up on the requirements then unfortunately mistakes can and do happen, the refusal of a visa usually costs more than the agents costs.

My skills assessment was a nightmare and I did initially contact two agents for an initial assessment but neither thought I would pass it, but luckily I was confident with reading the requirements and knew I had the required skill level so completed it independently, and received a positive outcome, but that doesn't mean I would now denounce all agents. You pay for professional advice, which has taken years to obtain, other professionals such as solicitors etc charge through the nose, but it's taken them years of education and training to be able to.

I suppose for anyone following in your footsteps....is to ask the same thing.

some visas are pretty straightforward, ours were, firstly a 457 then onto pr. we used a agent both times, thankfully company paid for both.

Bit like tax here....use an consultant or don't ...plenty dont, plenty do like me cos I'm scared of numbers, maths etc....but my friends 17 year old did hers herself and came out just as good as me.

personal choice...if its a straightforward application, then do your own.

It's all down to personal choice ... if an applicant feels confident enough and has a relatively straightforward case, then yes they can apply by themselves and maybe feel they don't need professional advice. But I know a few people who wanted to apply and had absolutely no understanding of the process whatsoever and would probably have been far better off if they had employed an agent.

Most weeks you can read an account on forums such as these, where an applicant has put in an EOI without obtaining a skills assessment first, or a query on why they can't include their 26 year old 'child' or why they thought they could claim 15 points for a degree when they actually only have a NVQ, or why DIBP won't accept their defecto visa when they've only just met on a holiday etc etc. No offence meant to anyone and I am being flippant, but this process can be a nightmare and unless you are prepared to put in a lot of groundwork to read up on the requirements then unfortunately mistakes can and do happen, the refusal of a visa usually costs more than the agents costs.

My skills assessment was a nightmare and I did initially contact two agents for an initial assessment but neither thought I would pass it, but luckily I was confident with reading the requirements and knew I had the required skill level so completed it independently, and received a positive outcome, but that doesn't mean I would now denounce all agents. You pay for professional advice, which has taken years to obtain, other professionals such as solicitors etc charge through the nose, but it's taken them years of education and training to be able to.

As I stated before I am not judging anyone and I understand people need to use a migration agents who are vital in certain cases or visa types or maybe for people who do not have much time to go through it all my original question was about my case

This is my last post as the question is being taken out of context I thought it would be a simple answer

if you mess up a bit and the and miss something your CO will let you know and you can then get what you need and send it in .

Sometimes this is how it works. And very often the mess up means you don't qualify, you don't pass Go, and you don't collect $200.

A LOT of people assume it's easy, apply and the result is a refused visa and they are out thousands of dollars. Migration Agents are no different than a lot of other professionals (e.g. lawyers, tax agents, etc.). They have trained, they have experience, they know the ins and outs of the process and the regulations so you pay for that expertise and guidance. If you didn't need one or want to use one, fine. But asking them to justify their fees is a bit insulting given the amount of work they do behind the scenes keeping up with regulation changes, policy changes, along with the ongoing communication and review of documentation from applications.

Sometimes this is how it works. And very often the mess up means you don't qualify, you don't pass Go, and you don't collect $200.

A LOT of people assume it's easy, apply and the result is a refused visa and they are out thousands of dollars. Migration Agents are no different than a lot of other professionals (e.g. lawyers, tax agents, etc.). They have trained, they have experience, they know the ins and outs of the process and the regulations so you pay for that expertise and guidance. If you didn't need one or want to use one, fine. But asking them to justify their fees is a bit insulting given the amount of work they do behind the scenes keeping up with regulation changes, policy changes, along with the ongoing communication and review of documentation from applications.

Thank you for answering a simple question I thought we did need an agent that is why we got the quote in the first place if I could have afforded that sort of money I would have paid ? so after the process I just wondered what the 4k was for

Well I suppose in some sense it covers the costs related to running a business. Overheads such as wages, property, utilities. Then you have the persons time, effort, knowledge and experience.

I never make the assumption that because people leave school with few qualifications they are not able to do things like this, equally, I would not make the assumption that someone with a PhD could either! Therefore, what is straight forward for you, may not be common sense for another. Some people feel overwhelmed by the process and just need someone to take them through each step, break it down, manageable chunks. Others have complexities, such as medical conditions, criminal past, children of non-dependent age, unusual skill set - all can make it more problematic deciphering the visa pathways.

For your particular quote only the person who gave it can break it down - but the first line of my post would probably cover some of it... An agent is essentially running a business, so of course they make some money. What do you get? a visa hopefully!

I did all mine myself, and had no problems. But this is not the best for all... as always, what works for some in life, doesn't for others...

Archived