End of Parent and Aged Parent visas?

Alan Collett

An additional benefit for subclass 103 visa applicants - the ability to stay in Australia longer on an eVisitor visa once the 103 application has been lodged.

From DIBP policy guidance:

Officers are encouraged to consider granting offshore applicants who are in the parent queue an FA-600 (Tourist stream) visa with five year validity, 12 month stay and multiple entry so they can come and visit their family for longer periods on regular occasions.

Best regards.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alan

My parents have applied under the 103 sub class. They are currently in the queue. I am concerned that these changes may somehow affect their processing time line. Will this be a negative impact. I realized the queue calculator has not changed since its last update in March 2014....

Do you know the quota allocation for 103 subclass for the year 2014-2015?

Thanks for your help

Is there anything you could to help check on status on an applicant?

Many thanks again

Mama Rock

Hi Mama Rock.

The details at this webpage might help:

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/migrant.htm

Best regards.

Thanks for this info. Since my parents are already in the the queue my understanding is that their application will be processed in due course. I am hoping that this processing time will be expedited.

Thanks again

Hi, I hope someone can help, we are on a Non Contributory Parent 103.Applied in 2012, is it possible to get a bridging visa for us both to stay in Australia till the visa is granted ?

Im afraid not. A 103 application does not give you a bridging visa regardless of whether you applied for it inside or outside Australia.

Confirmation has come through today that the Department is ending eligibility for the carer, remaining relative, aged dependent relative and standard parent visa categories with effect from Monday.

Given that these applications must all be paper lodged, this leaves very little time to make sure your application is lodged.

Bear in mind that a faxed application - provided it includes appropriate payment - is still viable for the Other Family visa class, and at a pinch an offshore application can be lodged in any offshore office of the Department. Washington will still be available when others have closed.

Onshore applications should be lodged in Perth, see http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/835.aspx for example.

Good luck to all.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George, I know that I have asked before, but can I just confirm that the Contributory Parent visa is still an option? I just wanted to make sure they haven't changed their minds and added this into the list of visa's that will cease.

Many Thanks

Thanks Alan,

In fact the explanatory memorandum is quite chilling:

In particular, the Regulation amends the Principal Regulations to:

• repeal the Aged Dependent Relative visa classes and subclasses. These visa categories cater for a person who is single, meets the aged requirements and both is, and has for a reasonable period been, financially dependent on their Australian relative;

• repeal the Remaining Relative visa classes and subclasses. These visa categories cater for a person whose only near relatives are those usually resident in Australia;

• repeal the Carer visa classes and subclasses. These visa categories cater for a person to care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition or for a person to assist a relative providing care to a member of their family unit with a long-term or permanent medical condition;

• repeal the Parent and Aged Parent visa classes and subclasses. These visa categories cater for a person who is the parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and where the parent does not pay a significant financial contribution towards their own future health, welfare and other costs in Australia.

With effect from 2 June.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest sheryl

According to this link it ceases on the 3rd of June. Could somebody clarify please? [TABLE=class: myitem]

[TR]

[TD]Made [/TD]

[TD]29 May 2014 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Registered [/TD]

[TD]30 May 2014 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Date of Ceasing [/TD]

[TD]To be ceased 03 Jun 2014 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reason for Ceasing [/TD]

[TD]Repealed under Division 1 of Part 5A of the [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Sorry it wouldn't let me post the link

Thanks Adam, looks like we're here till the NCPV 103 kicks in about 13yrs time.

While waiting for a decision you can look at other visa options, you also have the option to apply for the longer stay tourist (Subclass 600) Visa which would last for 5 years and allow you to stay for up to 12 months at a time in Australia (no more than 12 months in any 18 month period).

Keep a close eye on the Parent Visa queue as well, I hate being negative but I can't see the DIBP being in any rush to process those applications. If yearly allocation numbers fall the queue length will rise and the only thing balancing it out will be people in the queue withdrawing applications or passing.

FAR OUT at closing the Parent Visa Route.

I'm on a 457, hoping to get PR after my two-years work in 2015. Freaking can't sponsor parents over now when I do get PR.

Yes you can.:err:

You/they just have to pay their way in. There's just no cheap option, anymore.

I know DIBP don't have to answer to anyone, but this is terrible, the way it's been done with less than one day's notice when most people were expecting it to be closed at the end of June. There must be applicants who have their application in the post, which now will not be accepted as they won't arrive in time. I also think that it is unjust that faxed applications for the parent visa are not accepted, when they are for the other visas.

A friend of ours in Melbourne, had just received her parent's application on Friday pm by courier from the UK and after adding her Form 40 was just about to arrange for the application to be sent by courier to Perth when she heard the news. If a faxed application had been accepted it would have been OK. They are obviously devastated.

In 2010/11 there were 113,725 skilled migrant places. Notwithstanding all the other classes of migrant that's potentially 227,450 parents/grandparents affected which could be even higher if we consider blended families. 1/4 million parents every year are being denied the opportunity to live with or near their children, supporting the family nucleus and building a close bond with their grandchildren unless they can afford circa $92,000 per couple. Yet I don't see any coverage of this in the media? A search on ABC web site revealed nothing! I think this story has a lot of potential for traction on social media and potentially go viral. The implications go far beyond the migrants directly affected by this announcement.

In 2010/11 there were 113,725 skilled migrant places. Notwithstanding all the other classes of migrant that's potentially 227,450 parents/grandparents affected which could be even higher if we consider blended families. 1/4 million parents every year are being denied the opportunity to live with or near their children, supporting the family nucleus and building a close bond with their grandchildren unless they can afford circa $92,000 per couple. Yet I don't see any coverage of this in the media? A search on ABC web site revealed nothing! I think this story has a lot of potential for traction on social media and potentially go viral. The implications go far beyond the migrants directly affected by this announcement.

If the media thought the average Aus would be interested it would be out there, but lets face it they are not interested. I'm alright Jack and its not just the Aussies, if we were back in the UK we would be moaning about all the hangers on and feeling no compassion, compassion only comes when we are personally affected these days. "Its all about me and my taxes and not prepared to pay more"