Want to emigrate to Australia? Be warned – it's not 'hot Britain

northernbird

I thought it was very much like a hot Britain (1970s). If you are moving there to escape "Britishness" then you might be disappointed.

I can't speak for where you are but where I am is nothing like the UK, apart from the number of football shirt wearing chavs you see in the pubs in Joondalup :wink:

Read the article previously. Still no matter. Disagree Australia is so different. It is/was largely how one may have expected Brit's to be living in a hotter version of Britain to an extent. How can it be anything else, until/ very recent times the country celebrated its Britishness as the great majority hailed from there or ancestors and still do.

Of course it's not a replica but hardly alien. It is certainly does not bring to mind any other country, although the sense of Asian inclusion is growing in major cities to increasingly reflect the location, rather than the home of the early settlers.

I never quite see the often quoted comment that the country resembles 70's Britain. Rather poor journalism on the part of the writer, with the use of far too many clichés and too little investigative work on their own backs. The writer wouldn't likely to not have been born in the 70's let alone comment on it.

Australian TV is the best in the world if you watch SBS. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to the commercials here anyway?

Outside of NEW Zealand, I suspect it would be harder to find a country more similar in the world. Same language. Drive same side of the road. More or less get's British humour(unlike USA) Biggest number of immigrants from UK. TV full of British shows, no translation needed.

I can't speak for where you are but where I am is nothing like the UK, apart from the number of football shirt wearing chavs you see in the pubs in Joondalup :wink:
and shopping centre car park with man utd number plates and back window of the cars and football flags ! Wondered where I was .

Guest Guest66881
Very much the case. 70's UK nothing like 10's Australia.

Got to admit i ain't seen one pair of platform shoes since we have been here or large combed out afros or tartan stripes down trousers with bell bottoms that cover the foot totally:laugh:

Archived