If/When you go back what WON"T you miss about Australia

wattsy1982

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Tom28 on most of his post but here are a few of my opinions

flies/mozzies

spiders and looking for them every time kids go out to play or sit down anywhere outside

cockroaches

crap TV, adverts spoiling anything half decent on

poor news coverage

having to buy clothes online all the time

the oppressive heat in the summer and then freezing homes in winter.

Having to wear suncream and getting kids to wear it too

poorly built houses

renting, more to the point real estate agents that think you are a piece of crap just because you rent.

Having a conversation with an Aussie for the first time and seeing the look of disappointment of there face when you speak and they realise your not Aussie too. (Not all but happens a lot)

Closed social groups, very difficult to make good friends and keep them, some people just not interested in making any effort at all

Keeping up with the jones attitude if you don't own a 4x2, have a car or two and a boat and your kids don't go to private school then your a failure. I realise it happens everywhere but pomz included put pressure on themselves to justify themselves living on the other side of the world.

People walking about with no shoes on, or smell like they washed a decade ago

Dodgy aggressive driving, slow speed limits

Not only beetroot in a burger but we got a fried egg too once!

poor customer service

expensive food prices, and poor quality of fresh food, generally.

So sick of sand in my back garden

could probably keep going but that will do for now :)

Being asked 'How my day's been' by check-out staff, sometimes at 8 in the morning?!

Salad served with hot meals! Fish, chips and salad?!!

Terrible drivers who can't use lanes properly.

Rubbish TV and even worse radio.

Obsession with winning and 'being the best'.

Racism towards 'poms'.

Replacing most of a word with 'o'.

Inflection at the end of sentences, even when it's not a question.

Boring, tasteless food in supermarkets (I dream of Asda!)

The word 'pom'.

British ex-pats who've been here two minutes and think they're Aussies because they drink from stubbies and eat beef sausages.

Bbq 'parties' that are just a group of people standing and drinking in a lean-to.

Pubs clouding at 9pm because there's no-one in there (all too busy staying at home and drinking in their lean-to).

flies/mozzies

spiders and looking for them every time kids go out to play or sit down anywhere outside

cockroaches

poor news coverage

poorly built houses

renting, more to the point real estate agents that think you are a piece of crap just because you rent.

Having a conversation with an Aussie for the first time and seeing the look of disappointment of there face when you speak and they realise your not Aussie too. (Not all but happens a lot)

Closed social groups, very difficult to make good friends and keep them, some people just not interested in making any effort at all

Keeping up with the jones attitude if you don't own a 4x2, have a car or two and a boat and your kids don't go to private school then your a failure. I realise it happens everywhere but pomz included put pressure on themselves to justify themselves living on the other side of the world.

poor customer service

this is so true....:biglaugh:

Pencil pushing in all walks of life...just drive down any city main road and try to read the signs...you`d crash...so many petty rules....they think we`re children or stupid...trying to run a small business with all the red tape involved...

Crazy hot days...

Bogans...in their utes/v8`s....piss off we`re full stickers...

general attitude to the environment...including wasting so much energy and general litter in such a beautiful land...

anyway the uk isn`t perfect either but,you did ask...cheers

flies/mozzies

cockroaches

poor news coverage

poorly built houses

poor customer service

ah, ah, but don't you love the tinned pineapple ring in your burger???

I'm trying to get my number of posts up lol.

In keeping with the post I don't like flies either, or huntsman spiders or cockroaches, or those things that make that horrible noise in trees - cicadas or something. Bloody things.

Radio ads at 3.30pm (when you have the kids in the car) for premature ejaculation and they ask what it is! Stopped listening to commercial radio as a reuslt and found ABC 720 which I love!

Vegimite, sorry but Marmite is nice

Mozzies (but midgies in Scotland as bad if not worse)

possums that get in the roof space and party each night

hellohowareyou said by shop assistants as one word and don't wait for a reply

hail storms the size of golf balls that write - off two cars

people calling me mate who are not my mate

So much hating here!

You should definitely go back go the uk - life is way to short for all the hate!

Just saying, il leave you to it!

I completely disagree, and although I can't speak for others, I think that many of the people on this thread are happily living in Australia, but comfortable with laughing at the idiosyncrasies. I certainly don't read any 'hate' into any of these posts, just good humour. If we'd had the good fortune to meet a few of these contributors I dare say we could still have been in Australia.

Personally I found the ex-pats that refused to acknowledge anything that they didn't like about Australia really quite nauseating and entirely deluded. You can be happy in a country and still laugh at certain things.......

Ohh, I don't know how I forgot this one (I know it sounds silly but it was actually quite a big factor for me), lack of sense of humour. It broke my spirit at times.

limited places to walk our dog. The beach got boring after a while....Endless adverts, bad enough but endless adverts about meat and sport... Not sure if there's a connection there???? Retro white dog poo. Don't see it here in the UK much...

P****d up ruddy faced Brits scoffing 'snags' (prob 90% hoof) and slagging off the UK at cliquey barby's

Ohh, I don't know how I forgot this one (I know it sounds silly but it was actually quite a big factor for me), lack of sense of humour. It broke my spirit at times.

limited places to walk our dog. The beach got boring after a while....Endless adverts, bad enough but endless adverts about meat and sport... Not sure if there's a connection there???? Retro white dog poo. Don't see it here in the UK much...

P****d up ruddy faced Brits scoffing 'snags' (prob 90% hoof) and slagging off the UK at cliquey barby's

Thank god I never had to endure that!

I agree with the BBQ thing. I hate them! Not just relevant to Australia either, I never enjoyed them in the UK and I don't enjoy them here - I'd much rather take the money I have to spend on meat and booze and go out for dinner. I see nothing fun about standing in someone's garden trying to eat steak from a paper plate with a plastic fork :)

Hmm, trying to think what niggles me here so far. Not sure I have a list per se, more things that crop up in day to day life and for that day/minute/moment its a THING and makes me RAAAARRRRR :realmad:

Right now, today, this minute, its mostly trivial stuff.

* The fronds on the palm trees in the back yard that insist on falling down in the most quiet peaceful bit of the night. They fall and land with such noise it always wakes me. Then I can't get back to sleep as I start hearing other noises and lo, its suddenly 7am and I have to get up :unsure:

* The bike helmet law.

* Top loading washing machines. Never liked them, never will.

* Having to remember to take sunglasses with me pretty much everywhere. Usually on my head ready to slide down when heading into the sun. I forgot them this morning. Ouch my eyes driving at 10am.

Er, thats about it right now. Most of the other stuff, tbh if it hacked me off in the UK, Germany or the Netherlands then it probably hacks me off here so won't grumble.

Terrible drivers who can't use lanes properly.

Rubbish TV and even worse radio.

Inflection at the end of sentences, even when it's not a question.

The word 'pom'.

British ex-pats who've been here two minutes and think they're Aussies because they drink from stubbies and eat beef sausages.

Agree with the ones above for sure.

The word POM bugs the hell out of me...more the fact that other brits (some who have even been here less time than me) use it.....AND also refer to themselves as one!!!

The whole ex-pat who think they are aussies is hilarious, i know an ex brit guy who was supporting Aus in the last ashes and has bought an Aussie football shirt for the world cup....hes not been here 6 months yet!!!!!!

The use of the word soccer to refer to a game that is clearly called football....(by every other country in the world, except yanks!)

One thing that I cringe at more than dislike is the way the sports team are referred to Socceroos, Hockeyroos, wallabies, Matildas....I cringe instantly when i hear that!

BUT...before I get abused on this thread by people who have no need to comment on here, I will say my wife and I have just been for a walk along the beach while the kids are at Kindy and it was nice!

BUT...before I get abused on this thread by people who have no need to comment on here, I will say my wife and I have just been for a walk along the beach while the kids are at Kindy and it was nice!

Having looked over the thread this morning, I think its going rather swimmingly so lets not start wheeling out the knocks or defensive moves before anyones even peeked over the ramparts eh :wink:

So far so good is where its at. Lets leave it there I reckon.

Having looked over the thread this morning, I think its going rather swimmingly so lets not start wheeling out the knocks or defensive moves before anyones even peeked over the rampats eh :wink:

So far so good is where its at. Lets leave it there I reckon.

I agree although I think it only took about 4 pages for it to turn but hey, its back on topic now.

I only added my last line through experience and to cover my a**e.

Like others have said, people can dislike/not love things about countries/places but still be fairly happy there, I am living proof of this.

After 7 years here in Oz (Gold Coast) I still get upset by the following:

1. Australian drivers don't understand the meaning of keeping left on motorways, they pick one lane and consider it is theirs and stay there at the same speed as everybody else.

2. Traffic lights turn to Green for turning left then pedestrians can cross at the same time, what's all that about?

3. TV adds are ridiculously too often and too long, and what really drives me mad is when you are in the last 1 minute of a film, the adds then come on and the last minute of the film is played after the 10 minutes of adds.

4. Australian wine is more expensive than the same wine purchased in the UK. Alcohol tax here is over the top.

5. Talking of tax. 48% for the high earners like myself is scandalous, I have to work over in WA to get a decent salary.

6. Another one for the driving issue. There is very little back roads that run parallel with the M1 form Brisbane to the Gold Coast, so if there is an accident which is quiet frequent, you don't have the chance of turning off and then like everyone else you are stuck for hours.

7. Acronyms for everything, unreal.

8. Most words end with the letter "O", Ambo, Arvo, Davo, the Australian news readers on TV even shorten words. So lazy!

9. Taxi fares are way over the top, this I believe encourages people to drink and drive when out at night.

10. Have you ever been anywhere in the world that petrol prices change daily like they do here in Australia?

11. Somebody mentioned about the number of licences / tickets, my wallet is three times the size it would be in the UK due to the amount of cards I have to carry.

12. Last but not least.....Monthly bank charges by the major banks, this is just not fair by any means. Let's get Lloyds TSB over here!

Agree with the ones above for sure.

The word POM bugs the hell out of me...more the fact that other brits (some who have even been here less time than me) use it.....AND also refer to themselves as one!!!

The whole ex-pat who think they are aussies is hilarious, i know an ex brit guy who was supporting Aus in the last ashes and has bought an Aussie football shirt for the world cup....hes not been here 6 months yet!!!!!!

The use of the word soccer to refer to a game that is clearly called football....(by every other country in the world, except yanks!)

One thing that I cringe at more than dislike is the way the sports team are referred to Socceroos, Hockeyroos, wallabies, Matildas....I cringe instantly when i hear that!

Bit of history for you, pom...

Kindle-5121-e1304511764387.pngrss10.png

[h=1]The Origin of the Word “Soccer”[/h] For all you out there who love to complain when Americans, and certain others, call “Football”, “Soccer”, you should know that it was the British that invented the word and it was also one of the first names of what we now primarily know of as “Football”.

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

Also...The BRITISH LIONS rah rah team...

Just setting things in order for you, pom...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bit of history for you, pom...

Kindle-5121-e1304511764387.pngrss10.png

The Origin of the Word “Soccer”

For all you out there who love to complain when Americans, and certain others, call “Football”, “Soccer”, you should know that it was the British that invented the word and it was also one of the first names of what we now primarily know of as “Football”.

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

Also...The BRITISH LIONS rah rah team...

Just setting things in order for you, pom...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the history lesson there.

I seem to remember being told on here once that the country we ALL call Australia nowadays was once called Australasia...but hey its not commonly known as that now so......

And I also dont like the 'British Lions'...who knew we had something in common?!

Finally, I can't seem to find anything in your post that remotely keeps on topic.....

Thanks for the history lesson there.

I seem to remember being told on here once that the country we ALL call Australia nowadays was once called Australasia...but hey its not commonly known as that now so......

And I also dont like the 'British Lions'...who knew we had something in common?!

Finally, I can't seem to find anything in your post that remotely keeps on topic.....

"Australasia" is the term given to the continent, not the country.

You mentioned those things and I answered...So, I take it that your comments were not 'on topic':laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

You mentioned those things and I answered...So, I take it that your comments were not 'on topic':laugh:

I think my original comments you are referring to were very much in keeping with the title "If/When you go back what WON"T you miss about Australia"

This is the best laugh I have had in a long time.

To add

The dead brown landscape so loved by Aussies they sing about it in the National Anthem

Living in the "bush" here is a risk, bush fires, snakes, spiders, flies really miss the woods and country side of the UK

Basic Manners, how hard is it to say please, thank you and excuse me if you need to get past some one.

Caps, worn by half of Aussies, really gets to me they dont have the manners to remove caps inside shops offices where ever.

Caps on back to front - whats that all about

Pants worn so low you can see parts of male anatomy I would prefer not to see.

The accent !

Flies !

46 degrees in summer

Total lack of culture, if a building is over 50 years gee it really needs to be pulled down and some ugly glass thing erected.

sport ! Gee does every news program have to have half of its content refering to sport ? I "dont care"

Distance to get anywhere. No walking to the shops here unless you can afford to live in a major city.

Parking fees !

The lack of love for pet dogs and cats, so many dumped animals people are board with and oh gee try renting with a pet !

Archived