Warning to ping pong poms who come back without much money !!!!

judyq

Good evening, Just wanted to inform any poms who are coming back without alot of money that things are quite different now.

We were away just fifteen months and returned because of family illness....long story !

Prior to going to uk I received Disability living allowance and with it help with bus fares, trains,mobility etc. On return despite appealing have been told cannot reapply till i have been back two years. All this without even seeing me !! We got no assistance with any thing and we are not ,nor ever have been scroungers !!

I was very ill and was told I had to be billed for my NHS treatment as had been out of the country over a year, I also was told I would be billed for an out patient appointment.

We have never been in this position and had a naive and misguided idea that our country of birth would help us a little.

Jus t wanted to put this out there.Been a rough year and would hate anyone to make our mistake.

Guest Guest16631

.......so sorry to hear this.......

......I didn't know that...........presumed for those who were born and worked there....

......it would always be their entitlement......

.......I do hope something can be done to help.........tink x

I would have thought you'd have the right of appeal. Once you have proved you are back for good your benefit rights would be restored. It could well take a few months but hardly two years surely?

The toughing up of the social security system has been out there for awhile. It is in place to prevent foreigners claiming on arrival and Brit's living abroad returning for health tourism. That at least is my understanding.

Someone else mentioned a few weeks ago about not being entitled to any financial help when you return. Id guess where possible, its the same as moving here, its very risky unless you have a huge bank balance and / or a job to go too.

I hope things start to look up for you soon Judy

Cal x

Sorry to hear things have not worked out on your return.

With regard to being billed for things such as NHS it may be something to do with proving you are habitually resident as you have been out of the UK longer than X amount of time. The link below is the England info. There is a map to choose from if you need Scotland, Wales or NI.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_the_habitual_residence_test_introduction.htm

Claiming anything from the state now is much harder than it used to be and they have implemented a number of things to make people wait a while and don't simply arrive in the UK and start claiming for certain things. I think it applies to EU citizens, not just UK ones but I don't know the exact ins and outs.

Hope things start to look up for you soon.

Edited by Guest
link changed

Hmmm! Well my wife and I have been in Oz for 17 years.

We visited the UK for 5 weeks last September 2013.

I went to a GP walk-in clinic, because I picked up an infection, and was seen by Doctor (after a ten minute wait) and given a prescription for antibiotics.

The prescription was free because of my age.

Also had a dental check-up, x-ray and clean, at a local NHS dentist, for 18 pounds.

Many Australians travellers who are covered by Medicare in Australia, may be unaware that they are entitled to reciprical health care from a GP in the UK on the NHS.

You are entitled to be treated by a doctor as an NHS patient & the cost of the consultation & prescription medicine prescribed by the doctor will be covered by the NHS the same as if you are a UK Resident.

However, this does not apply to elective or non-emergency treatment.

More information is on the Medicare website.

There are different conditions for a visitor with reciprocal rights, than if you move back permanently as far as I know as you have to prove you will be habitually resident to be eligible for NHS etc.

also again different conditions for people like me, we are in OZ as self funded retirees, on a temporary long term visa.

we have no problems with our visa, however when we go back to UK we have to pay for everything medical, as we don't have Medicare, so no reciprocal and haven't lived in UK for over 20 years.

Obviously we take out travel insurance.

We visit the UK pretty often, my wife has had to use both a GP and a hospital emergency dept (not an emergency as such though, more precautionary - history ) and due to us not having a UK residential address only Australian, then at the GP she just has to fill in a certain form and show passport, at the hospital a similar thing, no real problems at either for receiving prompt attention. Infact at the hospital she got quite a compliment off the Dr, as he walked passed her bed twice and then finally came after checking with the nurse if he had the correct patient, he said that he was looking for someone who was a lot older than what my wife looks.

The NHS website states " If you move to England permanently or return to live in England permanently, you're entitled to free NHS hospital treatment."

Yes there are differences whether you are visiting or returning permanently but in both instances you are still entitled to NHS treatment.

You may be asked to prove your entitlement ie. British citizen etc.

More detailed info http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1087.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=162

To claim benefits one (may) have to take the Habitual residency test.

There is useful info about that here:-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_coming_from_abroad_and_claiming_benefits_hrt/benefits_the_habitual_residence_test_introduction.htm

I went back and used the dentist, no questions asked... are some people too honest, you dont have to tell people you are leaving the country.

Many NHS dentists will now take you off their books if you don't have annual check ups. There are often waiting lists for places so they weed out no shows to allow new patients.

GP does not have to keep you registered with them if you move out of their area. Some automatically remove you. If you lie about your current UK address to get in and see them, up to the individual really. I'd not do it as don't feel it's fair having decided to leave the UK and would go to the GP clinic at a local hospital instead. They see people without the need for being registered with them.

If the tories get in again it will become far worse for those returning, they are almost scrapping benifits for people here now and you will have to virtually on life support to get any help, they are not called the nasty party for nothing.

Thank you all for your replies, Alot of this happened last year,I have just been meaning to post something as I would hate for any families to be in the same situation. Sadly some of it was because I was too honest,O.K with the G.P and dentist but hospitals very different.I do understand why, totally as used to be a nurse but it was a shock.

I did appeal the DLA /PIP decision but got refused,with that as well as no payments comes no access to the other things that help people out with disabilities,blue badge,bus card, mobility support etc. unbelievable when you think nobody even set eyes on me.

When family were unable to help out we were living in a caravan with three kids, all young. when my partner could not get work or any financial help we presented as homeless ...something I thought would never happen !!!! we were interviewed and deemed not english enough.....again went to appeal but thank heavens my o.h got a job in time and we secured a rental. Truly shocking.

All ok now but just wanted it out there so people coming back can do their own research and be prepared !

Thanks for listening

:eek: Wow, that does sound tough going

Good you've managed to get through it all and are hopefully out the other side now for the most part.

I hope you are enjoying being back and settling well now :)

I thought they had passed some law saying people who has paid in for 10 years could have cover for life..

first I have heard of it, they are really cracking down on people coming back to the UK big time, some people from spain who have returned because spain is in the poo poo are being refused any benifits, its just not fair IMO and shows what a nasty government we have in power.