Anyone moved back without loads of cash? How did you manage?

tillyd

We haven't made the move back yet but we won't have a pile of cash. We are trying to move with enough money for six months rent in advance and the set up of electricity accounts etc. Our plan is to secure a good job for my DH BEFORE we go so that he'll be getting a pay packet soon after arriving back. I've still got my UK credit card so if we really need it we can use that and then pay ourselves back once the monthly salary is established - not the ideal scenario but doable for us.

We were talking last night and have decided we definitely won't move back without DH having a job to go to, it would be just too stressful for us trying to manage if finding a job took a few months.

Sounds like a good plan Aunt... When I moved back to Australia after many years in the UK, I was in no particular hurry, thought I would start applying for jobs then move if I get one. Obviously your at a disadvantage to local people applying for the same job but you get one eventually and it makes the move a lot easier.

Tilly, I have moved back to the UK a number of times over the years sometimes I stayed for 6 months, sometimes a couple of years and often with not a lot of cash. Enough to find a roof over my head for a couple of months and I generally found work (temp) quickly.

Having said that, that was more than 10 years ago and I think a lot has changed. I plan on going back again in 12-18 months' time but this time I'll be going with a sizeable chunk of savings as I just have a feeling things won't be as easy as they had been for me previously.

I also don't have family over there now so I think a bit of extra planning is in order. :biggrin:

I will be heading back without lots of cash as back up. This is very scary for me. I just wondered if anyone else has managed to move back successfully without heaps of cash.

I suppose your concern is how to manage until you get a job? The main thing is to keep your costs down at first. Do you have family or friends you can stay with? If not, check out things like university accommodation or even backpackers (TripAdviser will give you a good idea what's OK and what's not). I'd be contacting social security now to check your entitlements - you probably won't be entitled to anything for a while but you may have to register to get benefits later on.

Straight to social security? Is that how it is there?

I'm not suggesting she'll have any difficulty getting a job. She may land on her feet in a wonderful job and have no problems. I'm just saying it would allay her fears if she establishes exactly what she's entitled to and when, so she can access it easily if she needs it.

There won't be anything can be claimed arriving back usually. First have to establish as a habitually resident and that is about 3 months. CAB have all the info on that on their website. Jobseekers etc you can only claim if you meet certain requirements and I don't think the OP will.

I will be heading back without lots of cash as back up. This is very scary for me. I just wondered if anyone else has managed to move back successfully without heaps of cash.

I am gonna work my ass off here then when we get back beg,borrow and thieve.

Straight to social security? Is that how it is there?

Two of my grown up kids work part time as they can't find full time work. Employers prefer two part timers than one full timer, they can manipulate hrs more easily, not much good for employees who want to work full time though. Also, they can't claim working tax credits as their contracts are less than 30 hrs pw.

Archived