Australians Drinking Less

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Australians are drinking less alcohol overall than any time in the previous 15 years, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

"Across all alcoholic beverages, there were 9.9 litres of pure alcohol available for consumption in 2012-13 for every person in Australia aged 15 years and over," said Louise Gates, Director of Health from the ABS; "This is the lowest level since the mid-1990s."

The decrease is mainly due to a continuation of the downward trend in apparent consumption of beer, at the same time as a flattening out in wine consumption.

"In terms of pure alcohol, consumption of beer has more than halved since the peak in the mid-1970s, and is now at the lowest level since 1945-46.

"For wine, there has been a steady increase in people's consumption over the long term but recently this trend appears to have plateaued, and in fact, per person consumption of wine has decreased slightly over the past three years.

"Ready-to-drink beverages have also seen a drop over the past five years, while consumption of spirits has remained relatively steady," said Ms Gates.

However, beer still comprised the greatest proportion of all pure alcohol consumed in Australia at 41%, followed by wine (37%), spirits (13%), and ready-to-drink beverages (7%). Cider is estimated to account for a small but growing proportion, at 2%.

Further information is available in Apparent Consumption of Alcohol, Australia, 2012-13 (cat. no. 4307.0.55.001).

Guest Guest 47403

Sure I read a similar article about the UK recently a decrease over a similar time period. Must be a root cause for it somewhere.

People can't afford to go to the pub in Australia.. 10 bucks a pint..!!!

Can get it for $7-8 out here. Is this true of all Perth pubs or just fancier ones?

Guest Guest 47403
The fancier bars charge $15 +.. Standard bar in perth cbd is 10-12 bucks..!

What a great idea, make something that can be potentially bad for you far to expensive for you to over indulge.

What a forward thinking government you have over there :wink:

Guest Guest 47403
no baz it's called greed.

Paul my post was in jest mate.

Anyway if folk in Australia really want to get hammered there's plenty of cheaper booze to found than fancy city bars, last place I'd want to drink in anyway!

Not so many seem to be getting into the slabs now- that is quite noticeable. People seem to drink fewer beers but more of the 'boutique' type. No casks anymore, either- more one nice bottle. Maybe we're all becoming more 'middle class'?

eerrmm so may I ask ?? what "Class" do you put people who buy cartons/slabs of beer or casks of wine in!!!!!

Melbourne must be a lot different to Perth then, lots of people still buying cartons of beer and still casks of wine, a lot do buy half a dozen bottles of wine as it can be cheaper, wouldn't be a Class thing though

Guest Guest 47403
Not so many seem to be getting into the slabs now- that is quite noticeable. People seem to drink fewer beers but more of the 'boutique' type. No casks anymore, either- more one nice bottle. Maybe we're all becoming more 'middle class'?

I reckon it's similar in the UK too more choice with nice bottled beers rather than the good old 4 pack of John Smith's or Carling

Can't say it's made me drink less though I just get 4 bottles of nice beer like Old Speckled Hen or Abbott instead of a 4 pack of Smiths............................always one to buck the trend me :daydreaming:

eerrmm so may I ask ?? what "Class" do you put people who buy cartons/slabs of beer or casks of wine in!!!!!

Melbourne must be a lot different to Perth then, lots of people still buying cartons of beer and still casks of wine, a lot do buy half a dozen bottles of wine as it can be cheaper, wouldn't be a Class thing though

Lmao,you better get out and dobey that front step girl,and dont forget the findus crispy pancakes for tea,common?!

Archived