move back to the UK from Australia

petstar12

Marisa picking up on your point that UK state pension doesn't increase, this is correct, but if you go to UK for a holiday, you contact the correct department, and for your time in UK it increases to what it your up to date amount would be. Then as soon as you leave it reverts back to your original rate. How mad is that!! We claim even if we are only there for a week, just to make the point.

That is madness. Presumably it would also increase if you were anywhere in Europe too and not just the UK.

We've been doing some research on the UV index, because the sun is one of our reasons for wanting to go back too (my husband had a major skin cancer scare and is paranoid about sun exposure now).

The UV index tells you how much of the sun's damaging rays are hitting the earth. So you want to avoid places with a high UV index, which is most of Australia, especially in summer.

The good news is that Tasmania's UV index is very similar to the UK,so you might want to consider that. If you want to stay on the mainland, then consider Melbourne (I don't know where you are now).

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/tasmania/149570-positives-negatives-living-hobart-tasmania.html

yes you are right and I agree this is madness at its best as they will not ever get rid of the queen here they love them so that means Australia is still under British rule with a Governor general for each state that answers to the Queen Australia makes all the people from what ever country they have an agreement with claim part pension from the country where they were born we are about to get in Australia big pension sake up and rules will be different here some my not even get a pension here if they have too much money already and they are hoping into the further the peoples super will be there pension it just does not seem fair or right that if you want to live back in your own country that you can because of the pension and the way things are set up between Australia and UK

nope thanks Tassie is not even class on the map here they are left well behind as it not part of the mainland it like uk but has really high unemployment and miles away from anywhere else.

You've been here long enough to develop cliched WA attitudes to the rest of the country :wink:. You have not said if you are married. If you are, you need to look into the rules for your spouse who is unlikely to get a visa without a UK passport.

If you are 54 and think you will work in the UK I assume that you have worked here, so you will have some superannuation which you may be able to take at 55. We've had super since the early 1990s. That might tide you over while you get sorted in the UK. You may not be entitled to benefits in the UK for quite some time as you have been gone so long and you've been outside the EU.

I already feel like I live in the back of beyond living in West Australia It is so far from anywhere.....the EU you have so many places to go. No I would not want to live anywhere else in Australia I have family lives in blue mountains in NSW but I don't want to live anywhere else in Australia it is proving to be to complicated to move back home so many reason why I can't on here so I will re think the whole thing as it is true what they say once you leave your own country you don't belong anywhere anymore I am not Australia and it gets pointed out too me here they know I come from UK yet back in my own country I don't belong anymore cos of red tape and being gone for so long so it is true once you leave you do not belong anywhere any more and no I am not married.:confused:

Edited by petstar12

I already feel like I live in the back of beyond living in West Australia It is so far from anywhere.....the EU you have so many places to go. No I would not want to live anywhere else in Australia I have family lives in blue mountains in NSW but I don't want to live anywhere else in Australia it is proving to be to complicated to move back home so many reason why I can't on here so I will re think the whole thing as it is true what they say once you leave your own country you don't belong anywhere anymore I am not Australia and it gets pointed out too me here they know I come from UK yet back in my own country I don't belong anymore cos of red tape and being gone for so long so it is true once you leave you do not belong anywhere any more and no I am not married.:confused:

I think you just need a longer term plan. Don't give up hope that you can move back. It certainly has become a lot harder to switch between the two countries over the last few years. Managing your lupus in WA must be very hard - but it sounds like you might need to stockpile some resources for a few more years before you go.

Have a think about where else you could go in easy reach of the UK. Perhaps someone on here knows about emigrating to Ireland?

nope thanks Tassie is not even class on the map here they are left well behind as it not part of the mainland it like uk but has really high unemployment and miles away from anywhere else.

Have you ever been to Tasmania? I have. Hobart is a lovely town - big enough to have everything, but small enough to be friendly, and the housing is very cheap. Yes there's an unemployment problem but there's also a shortage of skilled workers if you have skills to offer.

As for being miles from anywhere else - you're already miles from anywhere, so you won't be any worse off. In fact you'll be better off because Tasmania is full of beautiful green countryside, which you'll be able to enjoy because you won't have to hide from the sun so much.

I know you really want to go back to the UK, but if that turns out to be impossible, that doesn't mean you should give up. You can still get away from the sun by moving to Melbourne or Tassie, then at least you won't be trapped in the house.

As for the pension - if they do put the age up, they will do it gradually and there's a good chance you won't be affected.

Edited by Marisawright

Are you sure you can't get a age pension in Australia until age 67 ?

There is discussion of moving it to 70 but I've heard that won't come in till around 2029, so wouldn't affect you anyway.

Plus if you are on a disibility pension you can get that at any age.

Are you sure you can't get a age pension in Australia until age 67 ?

There is discussion of moving it to 70 but I've heard that won't come in till around 2029, so wouldn't affect you anyway.

Plus if you are on a disibility pension you can get that at any age.

Like in the UK, the pension age currently depends on when you were born.

The OP says he is 54 so he won't be able to claim the Age Pension till he is 67 (like everyone born from 1957 onwards).

Thank you rosiew and yes managing Lupus in Australia is hard as it has become so hot everywhere and I get sick with the sun that bring on the lupus attacks which I have had to take stronger and stronger meds to keep under control which in turn have caused there own side effects I have had so many broken bones from the side effect of the drugs and don't have much immune system to speak of which are just two of the things that I live with each day that is why I want to move back as it has without any doubt become much hotter for longer in Australia too the point that my doctors over here asked me if I has thought about moving back to UK IT WAS HARD ENOUGH MOVING OUT HERE and I did not get a choice at the time because I was only 17 I would of said no and did to coming but my dad was the one who wanted to come all my family aunties and uncles and other family live in UK.IT has just turn autumn here and it is still warm too warm for this time of year but a least it not in the 40c for weeks like it is in summer which have become a nightmare for me.I know it a big deal moving back home but I also know once I got settled I would be better of as I am not one who would complain about the English weather ! because that all you here English people that came here say that they hate the weather in England.

Thank you rosiew and yes managing Lupus in Australia is hard as it has become so hot everywhere and I get sick with the sun that bring on the lupus attacks which I have had to take stronger and stronger meds to keep under control which in turn have caused there own side effects I have had so many broken bones from the side effect of the drugs and don't have much immune system to speak of which are just two of the things that I live with each day that is why I want to move back as it has without any doubt become much hotter for longer in Australia too the point that my doctors over here asked me if I has thought about moving back to UK IT WAS HARD ENOUGH MOVING OUT HERE and I did not get a choice at the time because I was only 17 I would of said no and did to coming but my dad was the one who wanted to come all my family aunties and uncles and other family live in UK.

So why didn't you go back as soon as you were an adult, if you loathed it so much? Unfortunately you've got yourself into a situation where you can't afford to go back to the UK, but stop being so helpless - it is NOT "so hot everywhere" in Australia. If you're convinced Tasmania is a s***hole (which it isn't), then try Melbourne - you'll get a lot more cloud cover so you'll have less trouble with your lupus. Then plan to go back to the UK in old age, after you've claimed your Australian aged pension.

Hay I never said I "loathed" mate !! and your you on the attack then you must live in Australia yep Sydney HOW CAN YOU NOT SAY IT IS NOT HOTTER WHEN NSW HAD ONLY THIS SUMMER

THE WOSRES BUSHFIRES IN THE BULE MOUNTAIN my uncle lives there he said he's never seen anything like it!

I have lived here 38 year Without ever going anywhere why it is that Australian /English people go on the attack because I assume your from UK originally when anyone say what they think I have not put Australia down in any way !! I have a bloody Australia accent Mate!! But Fact Australia and Perth is in the middle of NO where I am not in anyway feel sorry for myself and it is PERTH that cops it from the people in the east who think we are backwards mate!! If I am too live in Australia PERTH is where I will live not in the east!! and I don't think Tassie is an S***hole as you put it and never once said that.

Mate don't Judge want you know nothing about you don't know me or what I have been through so don't judge until you do there were reasons for staying here mostly because I got very very sick !

HOW CAN YOU NOT SAY IT IS NOT HOTTER WHEN NSW HAD ONLY THIS SUMMER

THE WOSRES BUSHFIRES IN THE BULE MOUNTAIN

What does that have to do with anything? You're claiming the whole of Australia is too hot for you, when a simple search on the net would tell you there are plenty of cooler places to move to. You're just too prejudiced about those places to consider them, even though they could be a solution to your health problems. Sydney is definitely not one of those cooler places so I don't see what the Blue Mountains has to do with it.

As for loathing - you've said you never wanted to come to Australia, and that you're miserable where you are. How am I supposed to take that, except that you hate where you're living?

And Tasmania - you said:

"Tassie is not even class on the map here they are left well behind as it not part of the mainland it like uk but has really high unemployment and miles away from anywhere else - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/210436-move-back-uk-australia-3.html#sthash.Bz9QCbyW.dpuf

Edited by Marisawright

Guest The Pom Queen
What does that have to do with anything? You're claiming the whole of Australia is too hot for you, when a simple search on the net would tell you there are plenty of cooler places to move to. You're just too prejudiced about those places to consider them, even though they could be a solution to your health problems. Sydney is definitely not one of those cooler places so I don't see what the Blue Mountains has to do with it.

Please remember that this forum is for those moving back so obviously their ideals will be different to yours.

Please remember that this forum is for those moving back so obviously their ideals will be different to yours.

I am thinking of moving back myself, actually, and I can fully understand why the OP wants to move - healthwise, it makes perfect sense for him/her to do so (sorry, not sure which gender, will go with "he" from now on for simplicity). The problem is that the OP won't be able to get the UK disability pension for two years, and will never be entitled to an age pension in the UK. So it looks as though moving to the UK isn't practical, unless he has substantial personal funds - which I get the impression is not the case.

The OP has said he never wanted to come to Australia, that he doesn't feel he's an Australian, and that he's miserable living where he is. Others have tried to suggest that he should move to areas of Australia where the UV index is much lower, i.e. Melbourne or Tasmania, where his condition should be much less severe. However he seems determined to be a martyr and stay where he is.

Edited by Marisawright

Guest The Pom Queen
However he seems determined to be a martyr and stay where he is.

And personal attacks like this on members will not be tolerated. This member has contacted me today in tears and she has asked for her account deleting. I find it disgraceful that people come on here asking for help at a very emotional time in their life and are jumped on.

I will close this thread now but you are more than welcome to discuss it with me via pm if you so wish.