Category 5 - Cyclone Ita - Far North Queenslnd

Guest The Pom Queen

If it doesn't have lime it isn't a proper g&t!

when faced with food shortages one must compromise........it didn't come to having to use the lime as ITA was all over in 24 hours, fair bit of wind.....probably no more than 65 knots, lots of rain, road out of where I live (Yorkeys Knob) and the Captain Cook Highway south into Cairns opened a couple of hours ago.......she's all yours now @Bobj

Guest The Pom Queen

Here and some of the photos from FNQ

y8azunum.jpg

Believe it or not the photos aren't a river

ryhedaru.jpg

du8use7e.jpg

gydupumy.jpg

These are all taken near my home. They had sent the army trucks in last night and 100 homes were evacuated

Guest The Pom Queen

jy3uja2y.jpg

Here is the cable skiing park at Smithfield believe it or not there should be the lake then a car park then a field. I don't think the land sales sign is going to do them much good

That's the side of Queensland I still cant picture. I suppose the reality only hits when you are living in that moment.

It looks like a whole different country.

I hope your all keeping safe and warm.

Just out of interest, I read an article that stated that houses built since 1985 should be able to withstand cyclones up to level 5. What is your opinion on that?

At about 7 o'clock last night, the TV weather chappy said that the cyclone was 30 km north of Mackay...we are 30 km NW of Mackay, (straight line distance), at that point there were some gusts, one was so strong a witch's hat was blown over...A fair amount of rain, but certainly not ' flooding rain'

Rather a bit of a damp squib, really.

5.20 AM and too dark to see any damage.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
That's the side of Queensland I still cant picture. I suppose the reality only hits when you are living in that moment.

It looks like a whole different country.

I hope your all keeping safe and warm.

Just out of interest, I read an article that stated that houses built since 1985 should be able to withstand cyclones up to level 5. What is your opinion on that?

I would say it is incorrect. When Yasi was heading our way even the cyclone shelters were only built to Cat 4 standard same as our house so we stayed home. I think though that most houses built after 1985 will have been built to withstand up to a Cat 3 with the modern ones now being built to Cat 4/Cat 5.

this may help

There is an Australian Housing Standard for wind loading (Cyclone Ratings) which WA,NT and QLD follow.

Cyclone House Ready document. A combined WA/NT/QLD governments cyclone prep guide which as information on cats of cyclones, wind speeds, ratings etc.

http://www.dlgp.qld.gov.au/resources/newsletter/newsflash-406-homeowners-guide.pdf

The new Cyclone Rating building codes are as follows:

Wind Specification:

C1 180 kph

C2 220 kph

C3 266 kph

C4 310kph

Combined with the wind specifications there are the following:

Region

Terrain

Shielding

Slope

i.e.

A house in Townsville (Kirwan) built in a suburb surrounded by homes on a slope of less than 1 metre in 10 situated on the lower 1/3 of the slope would be considered:

Region: C

Terrain: 4

Shielding: 2

Slope: 1

Estimated wind rating would be C1

A house fronting the ocean at Pallaranda would be:

Region: c

Terrain: 1

Shielding: 3

Slope: 2

Estimated wind rating would be C3.

Click on the link below to find out what rating your house should have. To check what rating your home has you would need to find out from your local council.

Please note these are recent cyclone ratings. for homes built before these came into force the old W ratings where used. Again you would have to go to your local council to find out what your present rating now is.

http://www.shedsonline.com.au/WindRating.htm

Guest The Pom Queen
6 AM and a measly 70.2 mm of rain for the last 24 hours...(2.76")

Squillions of stars

Cheers, Bobj.

It doesn't seem like it was anything like Yasi (although cooktown may disagree) for Cairns it was the usual flooding but the drainage up there is excellent