One-way ticket with Singapore - stopover en route - luggage query

ConfusedBrit

Hi

I know this topic has been covered a lot but just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience...

We fly to Perth from London in a couple of months, we have brought a one-way ticket with a stopover in Singapore. As we have unvalidated visas, we've been given the 10kg migrant allowance on top of our 30kg standard allowance.

Has anyone used the additional migrant allowance and had a stopover en route? My concern is that we won't be re-allowed it when we check back in at Singapore. I'm assuming that we will need to check in separately for both legs of the journey given we are in Singapore for 3 nights? Or could we check in for the complete flight at London? Would they keep hold of our checked luggage if we did that? I've never done a stopover before - only a few hours layover so not sure if the rules are the same?

if it's with the same airline, the same rules should apply for each leg of the trip - I'd have thought.

It's possible to check the bags in for the whole trip, but not sure how it works if you want to get them back again at Singapore - you'll probably have to check in for London-SIN and then again for SIN-Perth.

We flew with Singapore Airlines, don't know if yours is the same airline. Anyway, we had a query about the extra baggage allowance and ended up speaking to some lovely people in their London office who sorted it all out for us. Would recommend speaking to them if only to put your mind at rest.

I would make sure you get advice from their help line about BOTH legs of the journey as I have a suspicion you will get the extra allowance on the London to Singapore leg but because you collect your bags in Singapore and then have to check back in 3 days later you might get hit with additional baggage charges. If you speak to someone and get them to explicitly tell you and perhaps even put a note on your booking which can be accessed by staff at the time of checking in, then you might be able to get away with it.

We did this 2.5 yrs ago with Singapore, staying 2 nights. We had to check in separately and took our luggage including additional allowance out of the airport with us. We did have to do some explaining at the second check in re the additional allowance, which was tedious, and airline staff took some time / discussion amongst themselves to OK it, but it was all fine and no extra charges were incurred. (I just flashed my winning smile).

Just out of interest how much is that 10kg extra actually worth over actually just paying for excess baggage.

Extra 10kgs wouldn't cost that much, some airlines only charge £30 or so for another case, you just have to shop around.

I agree with Dorset, I called the London office last week with some quite stupid questions, and they couldn't have been more helpful and didn't make me feel like my questions were stupid either. Logic says as you're migrating to Australia, the migrant allowance is for the whole trip as your visas will still be unvalidated when you board the second plane, but it never hurts to check. Enjoy your stopover, and good luck!

We emigrated in September and flew with Singapore airlines. We had a 4 day stopover in Singapore and we got the additional 10kg each for the Singapore to Perth leg on an unvalidated permanent visa. My wife emailed Singapore airlines before we went to get confirmation from them so we could show this at the check in desk on both legs of the journey and avoid any confusion - there wasn't any need to be honest (I would still get this confirmation anyway) and the airline was absolutely fantastic!!!

If you have a stopover you need to collect all your luggage and take it with you - there is no hold or storage facility available!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest AndersonSmith

My experience with Singapore Immigration is that they are lenient. I recommend that you simply stay at Changi--they have hotels.

We flew with Singapore airlines and stopped over. We did have to take all our luggage with us to the hotel in singapore. We used our extra baggage allowance, and just repeated the process again when checking-in again at changi. They just took our visa confirmation slip, and approved the extra baggage. A few eyebrows were raised, but all good.

Archived