Inner Melbourne is fastest growing area

Petals

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/population-record-rise-in-city-dwellers-melbourne-tops-nations-growth-rate-20140406-3673v.html

Every day I read the Age newspaper and just lately there have been some interesting articles about Melbourne. This morning they are telling us how the inner city is becoming the place people are headed to and saying it can take a lot more people. As one who has lived here for forty years I have seen many changes and its really the make up of the population that has changed and Melbourne is attracting a lot of Asian people who are used to living in high rise and close proximity to one another. Also the Brits are used to it too. The people who are not used to it are the Aussies and if you look at the demographics, a lot of Aussies move out of the city and head to the fringe especially once they have children. They are hankering for the space they had as children, the quarter acre block big house and plenty of room to move around. Of course I am not an expert and I am not a fan of statistics, so I must be wrong I suppose. However I am one of those who lived in the inner city, moved a little further out, then a lot further out, and then further out still. Living in the inner city as a single and a married without children was great. Then we decided on children, moved a lot further out, had children, then decided we wanted more space and moved further out. Meant to move back in when children got older, never got around to it and to be honest glad we never moved back. Love the space.

I still like my space despite being a widow and do not want to hear my neighbours going to the loo, having a barney, hear everything that is said at their family or friendly gatherings. :wink:

As our cities have grown and work and play have changed I think less people than previously are looking to move out further for space. Many are giving up space for other benefits. Many advantages to being closer in and space has been overtaken by other priorities. Though of course for some it is still very important.

Escaping traffic is sometimes one big bonus of moving closer in.

I am migrating later this year and plan to live centrally initially just to get a feel for the city and to have easier access to amenities etc.

I think I will eventually move to the fringes though, not that I need the space but I would like to try it for size :)

Maybe the figures are being bolstered by my immigrants than usual.

Apparently the figures are being bolstered by inter state migration.

BB

Yep the Sydney siders are moving down. Funny that one of my friends is from Sydney and she moved here with me from Sydney over forty years ago. Has never returned to live there despite her family all being there

After spending a couple of days in a friend's Melbourne apartment I don't know how people can live like that. I felt very claustrophobic despite it having a balcony. I just felt cut off from the world. I like to walk out my door and see grass and trees and hear the sound of birds.

I always rented houses even when I lived inner city, shared with friends before I married. I am nearing 70 and I still do not want to live in an apartment.

Having worked in legal all my working life, there is a thing we say, no body corporates no apartments with lifts, why , fights and secondly expense lol.

So keeping the dirt is the best

We moved from Melbourne's eastern suburbs to Geelong two years ago, now in a spacious house with garden, 10 mins' walk to the coast, and couldn't be happier.

I still commute to Melbourne but get home earlier than when I lived in the suburbs... One thing I don't miss is the Melbourne traffic.

Where we live used to be bush but is now much more suburban though our little 'oasis' still has lots of trees and birds and the odd echidna or two. They should encourage tree and shrub planting like they used to. I remember being presented with several trees when we became citizens late 1970s. One turned out to be a Mountain Ash- dwarfed all the other trees in the neighbourhood after 10 years.

I don't think i would like living in the cbd or docklands, although there are some advantages. Not needing a car would be good, but i like some space and having pets would be hard in an apartment. I think if you are a twenty something it would be a great lifestyle.

After spending a couple of days in a friend's Melbourne apartment I don't know how people can live like that. I felt very claustrophobic despite it having a balcony. I just felt cut off from the world. I like to walk out my door and see grass and trees and hear the sound of birds.

Or alternatively you could venture outside the door and breath in the street scape. Actually people walking on the street, cafes, shops, no need for anti social car usage. Things happening. Movement. Still get birds singing and trees, just without the social isolation and an uncanny deadness all too apparent in so many Australian suburbs.

A very falsified world at least in my book.

Archived