Universities

Guest51810

It'll be ages before I need to worry about this but the first part of my access course is researching the different universities and then for UCAS you have to pick 5. I'm totally stuck for my last choice. I can't decide and I definitely can't pick a top one out of the rest. Maybe someone has studied at one of these and can tell me what it's like?! I can't be too fussy about uni's lol.

My choices so far are - oxford Brooke's, Brunel university in London (uxbridge not central), York St. John and then I'm totally stuck after that. I was looking at London South bank which apparently isn't a very good uni in general from what I've read but is good for healthcare courses! So not sure about that one. Then my other ideas are Bristol, Coventry, Southampton and there's a few up north like Newcastle.

What's coventry like as a place? It's near Birmingham, I thought that would be good for students. The actual uni looks good and has a good rep for the course I'm looking at doing. So If anybody's been to those uni's or knows anything about them feel free to share :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Occupational therapy. I did go back to my original choice of mental health nursing yesterday for a bit but I'm not sure if I could hack certain parts of being a nurse plus I can do mental health in OT but also do other areas. Plus I have work experience for that now and I enjoyed it. So think I'm going to stick to that. Technically I can change my mind a few time over the next few months lol but hopefully I won't.

I just hope I pass my access course

Guest Guest 47403

Have you considered Leeds I know a few people with kids there enjoying it (not sure what courses though)

Bristol is excellent, harder to get into, a great city for students.

Manchester is also really good student wise. I would stay away from the ones in London to be honest.The 'new' universities there have a pretty poor reputation and you will spend an absolute fortune in living costs.

Guest Guest 47403
I had never even thought of Leeds, Leeds met does occupational therapy. I just haven't heard of anybody talking about it when I've been on other student forums. I think if I got I to oxford Brooke's or Brunel I'd probably go to one of those

Have a little look at Leeds Stace great little city good student vibe around Headingley, and the cost of living will be less than the South East.

Yeah Bristol looks quite good, it's the UWE that does it there. Manchester is Salford.

London.. I probably won't put london South bank but I'm definitely putting Brunel down because it has a good reputation for the course plus it's not central so won't be as expensive but you still get the extra funding because it's still technically London. It's a campus uni though.

I'll definitely start looking at other parts of England though like Manchester and Leeds

It'll be ages before I need to worry about this but the first part of my access course is researching the different universities and then for UCAS you have to pick 5. I'm totally stuck for my last choice. I can't decide and I definitely can't pick a top one out of the rest. Maybe someone has studied at one of these and can tell me what it's like?! I can't be too fussy about uni's lol.

My choices so far are - oxford Brooke's, Brunel university in London (uxbridge not central), York St. John and then I'm totally stuck after that. I was looking at London South bank which apparently isn't a very good uni in general from what I've read but is good for healthcare courses! So not sure about that one. Then my other ideas are Bristol, Coventry, Southampton and there's a few up north like Newcastle.

What's coventry like as a place? It's near Birmingham, I thought that would be good for students. The actual uni looks good and has a good rep for the course I'm looking at doing. So If anybody's been to those uni's or knows anything about them feel free to share :)

Coventry seems to be an improving uni. As a city it is pretty crap, I lived locally so may be biased. I can't imagine it being a great university town compared to say Sheffield where I went.

I disregarded London totally when I went to uni - too expensive. I'd pick Bristol or Newcastle personally out of your one's listed.

Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield all great uni cities if they are options

Coventry seems to be an improving uni. As a city it is pretty crap, I lived locally so may be biased. I can't imagine it being a great university town compared to say Sheffield where I went.

I disregarded London totally when I went to uni - too expensive. I'd pick Bristol or Newcastle personally out of your one's listed.

Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield all great uni cities if they are options

Oh, if it's a crap city then I won't pick it. The area is quite important for me because while there's obviously top uni's for healthcare courses it doesn't matter as much for that type of course. Well that's what I read anyway.

I wish I could just make a final decision on the course, I keep going back to nursing in my head and I don't know wether I'm just hesitant because of lack of confidence and a total fear of maths haha. Maybe dmjd will give me some lessons lol

I went to Oxford Brookes Loved my time in Oxford, OT was a very popular course even back in the day. Pros, you are close to London, the place has lots of students hence there is a great buzz, I loved the history, the feel of the place, the river, the pubs, the Mayday ball, sooooo many things going on all the time. Cons, well it is expensive (almost on par with London), there is a bit of an "us and them" feel between Brookes and the Colleges ( the "real" Uni) or there was then, may be different now, and you will meet a lot of blue bloods, again no bad thing unless you are the type to feel uneasy with that. I had one course mate who was featued on the cover of Hello magazine with her family :eek: :ssign11: As for other places, what about Bristol, anything there?

Russell Group Universities are very keen on mature students applying as they know that generally speaking, they study harder and try harder than "youngsters" so I do think it's worth applying to at least one RG uni, as if you do get in then you will get the prestige of graduating from a top uni (which always helps when applying for jobs).

If you're looking at Bristol it would be UWE rather than Bristol uni itself. Northumbria has a great reputation for health studies, so definitely worth considering. It's very central for the city too, so easy to get around. My friends daughter is considering Leeds Met for Sports Science and really liked it when she looked round (is it the very newly built one?).

Think about whether you'd prefer a city or campus university and visit both to give you a feeling of what you might like.

Think about travel - how you'd get around and how easy it is for you to get 'home'. Bristol is a long way from where you live, but is easy to get to because flying is so easy and cheap, whereas somewhere closer to home might actually be harder to travel to and from. Consider what kind of nightlife you might want - some places are more party places than others. Do you want a big city? Or somewhere with a more intimate feel?

London is massively expensive, but easy to find part time work to help with the cost. Do you think you'll have time in the course to be able to work lots of hours? Or would you rather work less and have more time for study/social time?

If you can, go and visit your short list. It's amazing how you can change your mind about places when you actually see them. Daughter 1 loved the idea of Bath, but completely changed her mind when she saw it, but loved Birmingham despite being convinced she'd feel ambivalent about it. Number 2 thought she liked the idea of Sheffield, but really didn't when she went to the open day for applicants. Personally, I don't like Coventry as a place - it was a victim of the war and not very sympathetically rebuilt, but that's just my view, you might feel differently about it.

If you can't find another one you'd like to apply to, don't worry, you can just put four down on your UCAS form.

I went to Oxford Brookes Loved my time in Oxford, OT was a very popular course even back in the day. Pros, you are close to London, the place has lots of students hence there is a great buzz, I loved the history, the feel of the place, the river, the pubs, the Mayday ball, sooooo many things going on all the time. Cons, well it is expensive (almost on par with London), there is a bit of an "us and them" feel between Brookes and the Colleges ( the "real" Uni) or there was then, may be different now, and you will meet a lot of blue bloods, again no bad thing unless you are the type to feel uneasy with that. I had one course mate who was featued on the cover of Hello magazine with her family :eek: :ssign11: As for other places, what about Bristol, anything there?

Oxford Brooke's was one I really liked the sound of! I looked at the student accommodation prices down south and tbh some aren't really that much more expensive than up here. In glasgow unless you rent privately your still looking at around £100pw.

Blue bloods.. Hmm lol well as long as they don't act rude to me I don't really care about what people are like, I sometimes watch made in Chelsea lol that's what's killing off my brain cells :laugh:

If you're looking at Bristol it would be UWE rather than Bristol uni itself. Northumbria has a great reputation for health studies, so definitely worth considering. It's very central for the city too, so easy to get around. My friends daughter is considering Leeds Met for Sports Science and really liked it when she looked round (is it the very newly built one?).

Think about whether you'd prefer a city or campus university and visit both to give you a feeling of what you might like.

Think about travel - how you'd get around and how easy it is for you to get 'home'. Bristol is a long way from where you live, but is easy to get to because flying is so easy and cheap, whereas somewhere closer to home might actually be harder to travel to and from. Consider what kind of nightlife you might want - some places are more party places than others. Do you want a big city? Or somewhere with a more intimate feel?

London is massively expensive, but easy to find part time work to help with the cost. Do you think you'll have time in the course to be able to work lots of hours? Or would you rather work less and have more time for study/social time?

If you can, go and visit your short list. It's amazing how you can change your mind about places when you actually see them. Daughter 1 loved the idea of Bath, but completely changed her mind when she saw it, but loved Birmingham despite being convinced she'd feel ambivalent about it. Number 2 thought she liked the idea of Sheffield, but really didn't when she went to the open day for applicants. Personally, I don't like Coventry as a place - it was a victim of the war and not very sympathetically rebuilt, but that's just my view, you might feel differently about it.

If you can't find another one you'd like to apply to, don't worry, you can just put four down on your UCAS form.

Yeah I've heard Northumbria is good! I guess I just instantly looked at London because I loved it so much and then I looked at oxford because it looks really nice.

Nah I'm not a huge party person plus no doubt I'll probably need to spend almost all of my time studying just to keep up with everyone lol but if I can pass this access course it'll be a really good stepping stone. I'll know how to reference and I'll of started the biology side of things already.

Russell Group Universities are very keen on mature students applying as they know that generally speaking, they study harder and try harder than "youngsters" so I do think it's worth applying to at least one RG uni, as if you do get in then you will get the prestige of graduating from a top uni (which always helps when applying for jobs).

Everybody would be so shocked if I got into a Russell group one lol I don't think any do OT at all but if I was to do mental health nursing I think Jaq said Nottingham is one but I'll need to go double check the message, might of got that wrong

Everybody would be so shocked if I got into a Russell group one lol I don't think any do OT at all but if I was to do mental health nursing I think Jaq said Nottingham is one but I'll need to go double check the message, might of got that wrong

Cardiff, Southampton and (if you want to be near Pabs!!), Liverpool are RG unis that do OT. Nottingham doesn't, but obviously if you were to do nursing instead.....

Nottingham doesn't do OT, but it is a Russell Group. I think the students I met doing OT in Nottingham were based at Derby Uni.

Id say 65% of the students were between age 25 and 35. 25% below 25 years old and 10% above 35 years old.

For the actual work content it's more about showing that you can actually compare, research etc....not about definite options.... You will get through the access no bother, you're intelligent. Need any help giz a shout

..just finishing mine and have managed almost full Distinctions barr one merit. It's really enjoyable and gets your brain actives which is hard but refreshing. You'll breeze it...and I reckon you've chosen the best occupation out of the two....and Northumbria is a great uni if that's an option :wink:xxx

They don't do OT there, i think there's around 29 or 30 uni's that do. Was trying to find the list there to put up. I'm not going to study in Scotland though if I do OT because it's 4 years here.

I wish I could decide between OT and mental health nursing :(

Every time I decide definitely OT a day later I go back to nursing. I think it's because there's more opportunities for nurses and more chance to earn extra money etc. OT seems to be very much a 9 - 5 job, I was talking to a mental health nurse today from my town who moved to Australia and asked him if they had OT's at his last place which was a secure psychiatric hospital and he said the OT's there still did 9-5. I thought that would of been one of the places they would do varied hours.

The good thing is my access course covers both of them so I still technically have a while to decide but I want to decide asap, it's driving me mad.

Archived