List of things to do on arrival

jyotikhtr

Hello,

I am on 190 VISA and would be reaching Sydney in second week of April with my spouse.

I have read few threads and came up with below list of things, I should do as soon as possible after reaching Australia.

I have also listed down action items which I have already completed so that it would be helpful for others too.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Regards.

Looks like a good plan. You might want to hire a car to get yourself mobile - you need one to shop for one! - and they are easier to pick up at the airport than in the suburbs. You will also want a cheap mobile phone and SIM card - available from supermarkets.

I hope u r travelling from India ..to get Aussi Driving liscence

that

U & Ur Spouse whoever want DL here..shuld have same name in Indian DL and in Ur passport ..

other if thr is any Name difference ..

1.get the Notary done that Passport name and DL name is SAME .

2. and Get letter from RTO authority that Ur Dl is Valid and issued by the Authority

(( India Drivers Licence Verification(IDLV) - IHC Visa Information ))

A confirmation letter must contain:

Name and location of issuing agency : (Licencing Authority M.V Deptt)

Applicant's full name : ()

Date of birth : (

Licence number :

Class of licence issued : For M/cycle + Light Motor Vehicle + Heavy Motor Vehicle

Date of first issue :

Conditions on licence : N/A

Expiry date :

Additional Licences held : N/A

and u r valid to drive for 3 month so pls GET ur DL witing 3 month it is V.Imp

Looks like a good plan. You might want to hire a car to get yourself mobile - you need one to shop for one! - and they are easier to pick up at the airport than in the suburbs. You will also want a cheap mobile phone and SIM card - available from supermarkets.

Thanks, that is also on my TO DO list. We will buy two contract phones from vodafone as soon as possible. For the initial start, we do have Lebara SIM cards which currently has $ 1.5 credit each and can be charged online.

Hello,

I am on 190 VISA and would be reaching Sydney in second week of April with my spouse.

I have read few threads and came up with below list of things, I should do as soon as possible after reaching Australia.

I have also listed down action items which I have already completed so that it would be helpful for others too.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Regards.

I can't think of any reason why you would register with centrelink, assuming it is just the two of you.

I can't think of any reason why you would register with centrelink, assuming it is just the two of you.

Hello Rupert,

Well, centrelink registration thing has always been dicey for me. Can you please elaborate why it is not required for two of us ? Would it be a different scenario if we had kid(s) ?

Regards.

Hello Rupert,

Well, centrelink registration thing has always been dicey for me. Can you please elaborate why it is not required for two of us ? Would it be a different scenario if we had kid(s) ?

Regards.

Well you just don't need to do you? What do you think you would be going in there for?

You cannot claim any benefits for two years do why would you register. It would be like walking into a UK benefits office when you cannot / don't wish to claim benefits. If you had kids then there are child related benefits however.

This may not apply to you but if someone's coming at the start of a financial year and their income levels are in the range that makes them liable for Medicare levy surcharge then by all means get private medical insurance upon entry. ATO wants 1%+(prorated) of your annual income for the time you don't have private insurance. I got burnt for several hundred dollars(Could have easily covered my health insurance premiums for that period of time).

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/mls.htm

Update your bank account with TFN or else they may hold 47.5% of any interest earned from your savings account.

Well you just don't need to do you? What do you think you would be going in there for?

You cannot claim any benefits for two years do why would you register. It would be like walking into a UK benefits office when you cannot / don't wish to claim benefits. If you had kids then there are child related benefits however.

Thanks, got it.

Archived