Brisbane the Ugliest City in the World

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

BRISBANE has been singled out as one of the ugliest cities in the world, and an example of “chaotic ugliness”, says one of the world’s leading philosophers.

UK writer and television presenter Alain de Botton, known for making philosophy accessible to audiences around the world, has singled out the Australian city for abuse in his latest musings.

“No one looks at the waterfront of Brisbane, the capital of the Australian state of Queensland, and feels deeply moved by the grace and sweetness of the scene,” de Botton says in post on his website The Philosophers’ Mail .

Is Brisbane Australia’s ugliest city? Alain de Botton thinks so. Picture: Bruce Long Source: News Limited

“While most people find the centre of Paris wonderful and others will delight in the winding streets of Siena, no one on the planet responds deeply to the brutal cross city expressway and chunky stained brown office blocks of the city.”

The problem, de Botton says, is that people have accepted that everyone will have different views of what is beautiful or ugly.

“We have talked ourselves into the belief that taste is always relative,” de Botton says.

“So even though almost everyone on the planet thinks that either Siena or Paris is delightful and everyone thinks that Brisbane is a bit of a mess, we don’t dare to speak.”

In a tweet, de Botton linked to his story with the comment “why Brisbane is the ugliest city in Australia” and public sentiment seemed to be with him.

Guest Guest40285

I saw him talking on the Project the other night he seemed like a nice enough bloke, Brisbane is nice I reckon, If ya want Ugly cities check out Plymouth, Thats hard for me to say as well being a real Devonian.

Yeah he was good on the project. Obviously hasn't visited Coventry and as far as Australia I think Adelaide and Perth are much uglier but each to their own!

Guest The Pom Queen
I saw him talking on the Project the other night he seemed like a nice enough bloke, Brisbane is nice I reckon, If ya want Ugly cities check out Plymouth, Thats hard for me to say as well being a real Devonian.

I've never been in to the CBD but like you said to say its the ugliest in the world seems very harsh. I can think of other places that would win that award.

I think most citys have the dull high rises and buildings ,i wouldnt say Brisbane cbd is ugly though, southbank and its walkaways are beautiful ,i also find it quite spacious compared to lots of city centers where it is just high rise after high rise with no greenery in sight.

Cal x

I think most citys have the dull high rises and buildings ,i wouldnt say Brisbane cbd is ugly though, southbank and its walkaways are beautiful ,i also find it quite spacious compared to lots of city centers where it is just high rise after high rise with no greenery in sight.

Cal x

Yeah its a weird to me too I would actually rank it very high for city's in oz and smashes most back home too.

Well I am afraid that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Brissie is one of my fave cities in the world. I defo prefer it to Perth and am not a massive fan of Paris (shock, horror) ..... perhaps coz I am more of big town gal than big city

Guest isis1mcc

what a complete tosser who is so far up his own ass he would struggle to know what the weather is like.. both of his comparison cities are clichés to say the least paris is only pretty for about 6 - 8 block in the centre everywhere else in the city is a dump if you ask me and sienna is a maze of streets that all blend into 1, both of these ancient cities have been around for a hell of a lot longer than Brisbane and to compare them imo is just plain stupid....

I've never been in to the CBD but like you said to say its the ugliest in the world seems very harsh. I can think of other places that would win that award.

Hardly the ugliest in the world. id he mean Australia though or the world? Brisbane was long derided as a fairly non descript over grown town. The language may have changed but has the city to such a degree? Ugliness a bit harsh? Bit ordinary perhaps? I don't really find the CBD's of OZ cities all that different. Haven't been to Brisbane but can it be worse than Perth or Adelaide?

BRISBANE has been singled out as one of the ugliest cities in the world, and an example of “chaotic ugliness”, says one of the world’s leading philosophers.

UK writer and television presenter Alain de Botton, known for making philosophy accessible to audiences around the world, has singled out the Australian city for abuse in his latest musings.

“No one looks at the waterfront of Brisbane, the capital of the Australian state of Queensland, and feels deeply moved by the grace and sweetness of the scene,” de Botton says in post on his website The Philosophers’ Mail .

Is Brisbane Australia’s ugliest city? Alain de Botton thinks so. Picture: Bruce Long Source: News Limited

“While most people find the centre of Paris wonderful and others will delight in the winding streets of Siena, no one on the planet responds deeply to the brutal cross city expressway and chunky stained brown office blocks of the city.”

The problem, de Botton says, is that people have accepted that everyone will have different views of what is beautiful or ugly.

“We have talked ourselves into the belief that taste is always relative,” de Botton says.

“So even though almost everyone on the planet thinks that either Siena or Paris is delightful and everyone thinks that Brisbane is a bit of a mess, we don’t dare to speak.”

In a tweet, de Botton linked to his story with the comment “why Brisbane is the ugliest city in Australia” and public sentiment seemed to be with him.

Cant and wont quote on Brisbane ...but if you are talking ugly cities , and I mean UGLY ...its BERLIN for me ...just didn't do it for me ...it might be because of its recent history ...but the fact that it has less of a population in 2014 , than it did before the 2nd world war , says it all for me

Cant and wont quote on Brisbane ...but if you are talking ugly cities , and I mean UGLY ...its BERLIN for me ...just didn't do it for me ...it might be because of its recent history ...but the fact that it has less of a population in 2014 , than it did before the 2nd world war , says it all for me

I think a lot of these east European countries could come under that banner.

you need to lock past the facade.

Hungary, Slovakia the same, still looking war torn, plenty of bullet marks in the buildings. But still lovely once you get inside the real place

Hungary, Slovakia the same, still looking war torn, plenty of bullet marks in the buildings. But still lovely once you get inside the real place

You can't be serious Budapest in Hungary is a lovely city and don't know Slovakia but its neighbour and once belonging to the same outfit, Prague is another of Europe's marvels. No bullet holes there.

I expect bullet holes still abound in former Yugoslavia, Bosnia and Croatia for example. Can't say. But the latter is certainly far removed from ugly as the two cities earlier mentioned.

Actually Berlin is increasing in population as it is in apartment prices. Perhaps you need to be there awhile to appreciate it. Perhaps not always the most attractive but far from ugly with one of the most inventive and exciting night capitals in Europe.

Personally I don't think city and beautiful are related. I think most cities are too busy, polluted, dirty, etc etc. There is nice architecture in most cities of the world but unfortunately the ugliness of cities makes them unnoticeable.

Hardly Drove all the way through Slovakia .....been to Budapest ...Krakow ...prague ...warsaw ...loved them all , but didn't like Berlin at all

Archived